Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:44:11 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231764 times)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4485 on: August 11, 2019, 07:45:08 pm »
owidjaja!

Thankyou so much, this is such a great explanation! I just have one more question, when you said "I'd make sure I've done a practice essay for all the poems", I am currently studying a book that has about 7 short stories (that my school is focusing on) in it, would you recommend that I do a practice essay for each of these short stories? Prelims for me start in about 5 weeks  ::) if I should do a practice essay for each short story would 5 weeks be enough time to complete this?

Thanks again owidjaja!  :D

Coolmate  8)
Hey there,

I'm not sure if you're supposed to write a comparative essay for those short stories (i.e. an essay question where they either give you a short story that you have to use plus another story you've studied, or if the question refers to a theme and give you the option to choose at least 2 of the studied short stories), but assuming that you are, I'd list the themes that are explored in each story and try and find common themes so then it's easy to form essay plans. So going back to my Yeats example, I was able to make 3 pairs of poems that had similar/same themes and 1 poem that was very flexible. Then I made sure I made an essay using those all the pairs, meaning that I essentially wrote 4 practice essays (to clarify in case my previous response made it look like I wrote 7 practice essays haha).

So 5 weeks could be enough time for you to experiment with your prescribed texts, but realistically, if you're struggling to make time to ensure you've used all the prescribed texts, just prepare an essay plan for the texts you haven't used before.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Jefferson

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4486 on: August 11, 2019, 07:59:39 pm »
Hi everyone,

For the common module, my teacher says that it must be an essay. Does this restriction apply to Module A and B, or can you use other forms of text in your response?

Thank you.

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #4487 on: August 12, 2019, 09:11:01 am »
+1
Hey there,

I'm not sure if you're supposed to write a comparative essay for those short stories (i.e. an essay question where they either give you a short story that you have to use plus another story you've studied, or if the question refers to a theme and give you the option to choose at least 2 of the studied short stories), but assuming that you are, I'd list the themes that are explored in each story and try and find common themes so then it's easy to form essay plans. So going back to my Yeats example, I was able to make 3 pairs of poems that had similar/same themes and 1 poem that was very flexible. Then I made sure I made an essay using those all the pairs, meaning that I essentially wrote 4 practice essays (to clarify in case my previous response made it look like I wrote 7 practice essays haha).

So 5 weeks could be enough time for you to experiment with your prescribed texts, but realistically, if you're struggling to make time to ensure you've used all the prescribed texts, just prepare an essay plan for the texts you haven't used before.

Hope this helps!

Hey owidjaja!  :D

Thanks again and for clarifying my question! This is a good idea I will use this advice in my studies

Cheers, Coolmate  8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4488 on: August 12, 2019, 02:24:18 pm »
+2
Hi everyone,

For the common module, my teacher says that it must be an essay. Does this restriction apply to Module A and B, or can you use other forms of text in your response?

Thank you.

Hey, Jefferson!

Unless otherwise specified, the assumption is that you will be writing an essay for Paper 1 Section II (Common Module), Paper 2 Section I (Module A) and Section II (Module B). It is highly unlikely that they will ask for a different text type in the aforementioned modules. Section III (Module C), however, can range from creative, discursive, persuasive and informative forms of writing  :)

You can definitely apply some conventions of other forms in the essay itself but to a limited extent so you can preserve the formality of your extended response. I illustrated an example of how you can use figurative language in an essay in response to another user which you can observe here!

Hope that clarifies any concerns  :D

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 02:27:06 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Jfernando312

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4489 on: August 12, 2019, 04:54:58 pm »
hi, im in year 11 and i was wondering if anyone has any advice on studying adv english - shakespeare julius caesar? like an effective way to prep for tackling essay questions and developing a strong thesis about leadership, politics and power? or just any advice at all really, i really love learning about it and i have made extensive notes in class on the text, i just wanna know how to practice writing essays for it or exam advice in terms of evidence and all

xlaibaxx

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4490 on: August 16, 2019, 11:08:12 pm »
Hey, can someone help me out with the common module the paradoxes, inconsistencies and anomalies within Kenneth Slessors poems? please i really need help, thanks.

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4491 on: August 25, 2019, 12:51:57 pm »
Hello Everyone! ;D

I'm in year 11 and am studying Module B at the moment. In this module I am studying the text, "The Turning" By Tim Winton, and was wondering if anyone had any quotes, analysis or resources that I can use along with studying this book? As I am finding it hard to find any resources or help :-\

Thanks in advance! ;D

Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 12:53:32 pm by Coolmate »
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4492 on: August 25, 2019, 11:17:54 pm »
+1
Hello Everyone! ;D

I'm in year 11 and am studying Module B at the moment. In this module I am studying the text, "The Turning" By Tim Winton, and was wondering if anyone had any quotes, analysis or resources that I can use along with studying this book? As I am finding it hard to find any resources or help :-\

Thanks in advance! ;D

Coolmate 8)

Hey, Coolmate!

I struggled to find some resources outside of the generic analyses ones you can Google Search but I do think these articles from The Guardian might prove useful in helping you deepen your critical thinking and engagement with the text  :) You could also integrate quotes from the authors of these articles in your essay to elevate your response  :D

A book for the beach: The Turning by Tim Winton
Review: The Turning by Tim Winton

Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4493 on: August 26, 2019, 10:04:24 am »
+1
Hey, Coolmate!

I struggled to find some resources outside of the generic analyses ones you can Google Search but I do think these articles from The Guardian might prove useful in helping you deepen your critical thinking and engagement with the text  :) You could also integrate quotes from the authors of these articles in your essay to elevate your response  :D

A book for the beach: The Turning by Tim Winton
Review: The Turning by Tim Winton

Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D

Hi angewina_naguen!, ;D

Thankyou so much, this will definetly help me for my prelims and incorporating other authors view about the book in my essays as well! :) :)

Cheers,

Coolmate 8)

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

jimmyjay

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4494 on: September 01, 2019, 10:44:19 pm »
Hey all hope you're doing well,

After trials, I did rather poorly in module C response. I'm trying to write a creative piece inspired/influence by Orwell's style in Politics and the English language however I've had trouble trying to figure out his style. Can anyone provide advice on some aspects of his style in this piece? Also,I'm trying to write in a sarcastic tone however I have no idea on how to do this. Can anyone provide an example?

Thank you :)

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4495 on: September 02, 2019, 08:37:19 pm »
Hi Everyone! :)

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to write really good sophisticated topic sentences regarding the characterisation of two characters and the relationship between them? Could you please show me some examples for this essay question? The essay question is below:

"How is characterisation utilised in Tim Winton’s The Turning to explore the fragility of relationships between individuals?"

Also, I was just wondering, how do you study for an unseen question? Do you either memorise your premade essay and just adapt it to the essay question presented on the day? ;D

Thankyou! :D

Kind Regards,

Coolmate 8)

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

fillycheese

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4496 on: September 23, 2019, 06:27:44 pm »
Hi All!

I was just wondering how people are preparing for Mod C Craft of Writing?

Are people going in with a creative planned already that they will morph? Or just going to do it all based on the question? And alsooo are people thinking that the question will be based on mod c prescribed texts or the others?

Thanks peeps  ;D

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4497 on: September 26, 2019, 10:15:14 am »
Hi All!

I was just wondering how people are preparing for Mod C Craft of Writing?

Are people going in with a creative planned already that they will morph? Or just going to do it all based on the question? And alsooo are people thinking that the question will be based on mod c prescribed texts or the others?

Thanks peeps  ;D

I dont know if this will help but I think I'm going to go in with main points and quotes for a persuasive piece that I can write based on the ideas within one of my Mod C texts - I'm doing George Orwell's Politics and the English Language. And I think they will likely give us the option to write based on any module :)

Muir.mclennan

• Adventurer
« Reply #4498 on: September 26, 2019, 10:23:15 am »
Hey so I've got this practice question for Common Module (1984) and i'm really struggling with how to answer it.

In what ways has your perception of the human experience been shaped by the use of setting in prose fiction?

Do you think in the HSC they would have a question so specific, like based on a literary technique like setting?

If anyone has any help or guidance on how to answer this one I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks alot.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4499 on: September 28, 2019, 03:31:18 pm »
Hey so I've got this practice question for Common Module (1984) and i'm really struggling with how to answer it.

In what ways has your perception of the human experience been shaped by the use of setting in prose fiction?

Do you think in the HSC they would have a question so specific, like based on a literary technique like setting?

If anyone has any help or guidance on how to answer this one I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks alot.

Hey, Muir.mclennan!

They can definitely specify a technique because there was a similar question that also specified a technique in the sample paper NESA provided. What I would do with those sort of questions is to make sure you gear your response towards that technique but also look at other examples that support the technique's effectiveness in the text. For example, if you had the use of setting here with 1984, you could look at having examples with setting as the key language form and then use say dialogue or visual imagery as supporting analysis to show how the characters respond to the place as a part of their human experiences. This way, you address the focus of the question but you also expand it with further examples that also shaped your perception of the human experience. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-