Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 08:49:00 am

Author Topic: Detailed Study Topics  (Read 2785 times)  Share 

emza_k

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Detailed Study Topics
« on: October 31, 2020, 02:23:53 pm »
Hey everyone! I'm currently studying Units 1/2 Chinese SL and my teacher has already started introducing my class to the detailed study in preparation for exams next year. I'm having trouble deciding on a suitable topic for my detailed study and I was wondering whether anyone could share the topics they studied themselves, or provide some suggestions and/or tips which could help me choose! Thanks in advance :)

Chinese Tutoring

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Detailed Study Topics
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 12:31:32 pm »
+1
Hey everyone! I'm currently studying Units 1/2 Chinese SL and my teacher has already started introducing my class to the detailed study in preparation for exams next year. I'm having trouble deciding on a suitable topic for my detailed study and I was wondering whether anyone could share the topics they studied themselves, or provide some suggestions and/or tips which could help me choose! Thanks in advance :)

Hi there.

For SL students, normally the topics you choose should be informative and descriptive, it may also need some discussion aroud the topic.

Some commen SL topics:
1.Food:饺子、月饼、火锅……
2.Tourist attractions:长城、故宫、福建土楼、上海外滩……
3.Figurers:孔子、孟子、成龙、李连杰 & some painters or art performers
4.Art works:《清明上河图》、《愚公移山》……
…………
There is a wide range of topics you can choose. You better discuss with youteachers.

Any questions,feel free to contact me: [email protected]

Blooom

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +5
Re: Detailed Study Topics
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 01:50:28 pm »
+3
Getting started on your detailed study (and gc) super early is really important! You’ll never regret getting it done sooner rather than later. As for the topics themselves, you should look at the criteria for what kinds of topics you can choose. Often, good ones are those with strong links to Chinese culture which can reflect a deeper understanding of Chinese people and their attitudes beyond some surface level facts and figures. They also like to ask for connections to Australian/ your life so keep that in mind when choosing topics, however it likely won’t be a problem as most topics will naturally already have influence in Australia.

Chinese tutor’s suggested topics are all solid. Although I personally would avoid talking about paintings and works if you are not very confident in your Chinese. You can imagine that it is already hard enough to discuss art in English, let alone in a second language. Some other popular ones in my class were 功夫茶,茶,兵马俑 ,剪纸and 姚明. Any topics you have some knowledge of or are interested in are also good candidates since you will be ‘stuck’ studying it for a year.

It’s worth noting there are advantages to choosing a fairly ‘standard’ topic as the examiners will have a good idea of what to ask you because they are already familiar with the content. This means you’re unlikely to get random questions almost unrelated to the topic that someone unfamiliar with the topic might unknowingly ask. Of course, choosing a unique topic will help you stand out but weigh out the pros and cons for yourself before you decide.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 01:53:36 pm by Blooom »