Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:47:06 pm

Author Topic: Do what Uni's matter?  (Read 1877 times)  Share 

HYANA

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Do what Uni's matter?
« on: October 16, 2021, 12:44:15 pm »
Hi, I'm wondering if whichever Uni I go to will affect my employment rate. I plan to go to a Uni that is closer rather than a Uni that is more recognised like Monash. Please tell me your thoughts.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Do what Uni's matter?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 12:51:45 pm »
+3
Depends on industry you intend on pursuing. Most Bachelor degrees need to teach similar things to meet accreditation requirements.

The most obvious things do differ however, such as: quality of lecturer/other teaching staff as part of the unit, the offering of subjects (as part of my post, referring to things outside of those common topics required for accreditation), etc.

Some unis do certain disciplines a lot better than others - some being outside the GO8, so its worth doing your research. It's also the little things that should be considered as well, such as practical experience (if pursuing a practical discipline/industry). Academics are good, but if you're going to do something practical, you want that sort of exposure as well (and a lot of it).

I've been to two unis (Monash and La Trobe) as part of my university journey and actually found (and this is purely anecdotal because what I studied was very specific) La Trobe to be a more enjoyable experience overall. So, it's worth thinking rather than just choosing something "because".

I like how you're considering travel time/"closeness" - it should definitely be a strong consideration particularly at the Bachelor level as most are often 3-4 years (perhaps even more).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 12:57:03 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
Re: Do what Uni's matter?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 10:35:46 pm »
I agree with Aaron, and would like to reiterate that you need to assess your university options using a range of criteria.
Some uni's are great and well known for certain things, others are all-round reasonably respected, etc.

In general, go to the best university for your particular field, which you are happy to go to and will enjoy your time.
Like Aaron said, uni's outside the Go8 can be really good and well respected for some fields.
EG: Swinburne punch well above their weight for software engineering/data science/analytics jobs, especially if you can do the 1 year of industry based learning.

If for example, you wanted to work in finance (eg: investment banking), and got a 99+ ATAR, you really should go to one of the better uni's for this (EG: Melbourne or Monash, potentially also RMIT)

Between these options, you can pick whichever is closer/more convenient/you prefer the campus/you prefer the study plan/you prefer the extra-curriculars on offer/you have seen good subject reviews ETC.

However - even if Victoria University was a 10 minute walk from your house, and you loved it and had friends going, I would never recommend you go there for that career path.
Despite the convenience, I know a lot of firms who would immediately chuck the graduate application in the bin because of the university, really hurting your chances at getting a job in an already very very competitive field (it's a horrible practice - but have seen it many times).

TL;DR do your research based on what course you want to do, and what career path you'd like to initially get into.
There will be 2-3  universities that are clear front-runners for the best places to attend for that career path/industry/area.
Pick the one of those 2-3 which you can get into, and would enjoy the most/most convenient/etc.