Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:03:20 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570843 times)  Share 

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #13680 on: September 02, 2021, 04:02:22 pm »
+4
How did you guys revise for biology exams? I wonder how do people revise so much content.

One thing I used is going through the study design and creating simple mindmaps on each topic. This can remind you of all the different areas and maybe alert you to things you can't remember much about and need to focus on.
Other than this imo-(and others i've seen on here) completing practice exams is the most helpful tool for revision. Keeping track of all the areas/concepts you loose marks on in a word document can help target your revision, especially if you find you are writing down the same areas. Remember that correcting exams and understanding where you went wrong is as important as doing the questions.
Good luck!  :)
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Bluebird

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13681 on: September 02, 2021, 11:18:27 pm »
can someone explain the difference between the founder effect and allopatric speciation? i'm a bit confused because i thought in both cases, the new species is moved to a new environment, and over time they become genetically different from the original population :P

Oynx

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #13682 on: September 02, 2021, 11:46:18 pm »
+5
can someone explain the difference between the founder effect and allopatric speciation? i'm a bit confused because i thought in both cases, the new species is moved to a new environment, and over time they become genetically different from the original population :P

During allopatric speciation, the species gets separated by an environmental barrier and become different over time to selection pressures etc whereas in founder effect a part of the original species goes and colonise a new colony and then can face different selection pressures etc 
2021 - Biology | Further mathematics

Bluebird

• Trailblazer
« Reply #13683 on: September 03, 2021, 10:21:43 am »
During allopatric speciation, the species gets separated by an environmental barrier and become different over time to selection pressures etc whereas in founder effect a part of the original species goes and colonise a new colony and then can face different selection pressures etc

thank you!

Acegtr

• Adventurer
« Reply #13684 on: September 03, 2021, 08:12:33 pm »
Could someone please explain why a higher mutation rate in genetic material (e.g. mtDNA) makes it more useful to compare different taxa? And with "chromosome painting", am I correct in saying that chromosomes of species A are painted certain colours and chromosomes or species B are painted other colours, and then parts of certain chromosomes are cut from, let's say, species A, and parts of chromosomes from species B is introduced, and we observe any joining of chromosomes by the colour to see how related they are?

kayla2005

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #13685 on: September 05, 2021, 02:42:22 pm »
+2
Hey So im currently doing VCE Biology Unit 2
We are looking at genetic inheritance and punnet squares and im extremely confused on this question.

QUESTION: Robert is a tall person at the height of 6”2. Height is very common in his fathers family so it’s know as being dominant. His Mum on the other hand is quite short and that also runs in her family.
Note: This is meant to show/relate to complete dominance

Part A) List the potential Alleles for both parents
Dad - HH or Hh
Mum - h , h

Part B) If Dad was heterozygous and Mum homozygous, fill in the punnet square below using the alleles you assigned above
            h          h
H        Hh        Hh
h      hh        hh

The ratio generated from this punnet square results in 50:50, so it isn't a complete dominance right?
I didnt use HH as the allele for the father because he was determined a heterozygous so you couldn't use it anyway

Please help, im so lost             

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #13686 on: September 05, 2021, 05:34:16 pm »
+3
The ratio generated from this punnet square results in 50:50, so it isn't a complete dominance right?

Hey Kayla2005,

Thanks for showing your working out. You've done all the steps correctly, which is great. I think the issue is with understanding of what complete dominance is. This does not refer to having two copies of a dominant allele — that's being homozygous. Complete dominance means that having one dominant allele will mask the effect of the recessive allele, so only the dominant allele will be phenotypically expressed. Compare this to other modes of inheritance, such as co-dominance (think blood groups) or incomplete dominance (think snapdragon flowers).

If you've forgotten the differences, hopefully the below helps.
Spoiler

Again, good job, just remember that being homozygous is different to complete dominance. Best of luck. 🐢
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

kayla2005

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #13687 on: September 05, 2021, 06:00:18 pm »
+1
Hey Kayla2005,

Thanks for showing your working out. You've done all the steps correctly, which is great. I think the issue is with understanding of what complete dominance

Thankyou so much! I realy appreciate it

kayla2005

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #13688 on: September 05, 2021, 06:01:48 pm »
Thankyou so much!!! ^^

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #13689 on: September 06, 2021, 04:20:15 pm »
In what part of atps structure is the readily usable energy stored?
Is it only in the last phosphate bond

Acegtr

• Adventurer
« Reply #13690 on: September 07, 2021, 04:58:42 pm »
is there a difference between gene cloning and therapy?

Rose34

• Trendsetter
« Reply #13691 on: September 07, 2021, 08:50:44 pm »
Hi there!

I was wondering what effective strategies bio students use to get really high marks. My strategy is taking notes and doing questions, but that does not seem to be effective and especially for taking notes. I feel like taking notes is useless and just a waste of time, so I was thinking of just studying from the tetxbook and highlighting. Has anyone tried that method? I mean of not taking notes and just highlighting and memorizing from the textbook?
What methods students use for bio? I really want to improve my marks because my aim is to get into medical school so getting really high marks for bio is really important for me

Thanks in advance!

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #13692 on: September 07, 2021, 10:59:15 pm »
+3
Hi there!

I was wondering what effective strategies bio students use to get really high marks. My strategy is taking notes and doing questions, but that does not seem to be effective and especially for taking notes. I feel like taking notes is useless and just a waste of time, so I was thinking of just studying from the tetxbook and highlighting. Has anyone tried that method? I mean of not taking notes and just highlighting and memorizing from the textbook?
What methods students use for bio? I really want to improve my marks because my aim is to get into medical school so getting really high marks for bio is really important for me

Thanks in advance!
Here's some other revision stratergies
- Mindmaps to show logical links between study design points/areas of study (without your notes for extra spice)
- Design your own exam questions!; sounds hard but once you have done some practice exams use the key knowledge to design some challenging exam questions (good for study groups, but can work individually!)
- One-page activity; with no notes get a blank piece of paper and write a topic as a title (e.g. immunity) and write everything you can down (good way to see the gaps in your knowledge)
- Read examiner reports; see what VCCA comments on that students did not do well (likely will be asked again) familiarise yourself with the structure of VCCA dot points for answers, and incorporate a similar style in your own answers
- PRACTICE EXAMS really put an effort to refine your section b to maximise your study score

VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

Rose34

• Trendsetter
« Reply #13693 on: September 08, 2021, 10:20:50 am »
Here's some other revision stratergies
- Mindmaps to show logical links between study design points/areas of study (without your notes for extra spice)
- Design your own exam questions!; sounds hard but once you have done some practice exams use the key knowledge to design some challenging exam questions (good for study groups, but can work individually!)
- One-page activity; with no notes get a blank piece of paper and write a topic as a title (e.g. immunity) and write everything you can down (good way to see the gaps in your knowledge)
- Read examiner reports; see what VCCA comments on that students did not do well (likely will be asked again) familiarise yourself with the structure of VCCA dot points for answers, and incorporate a similar style in your own answers
- PRACTICE EXAMS really put an effort to refine your section b to maximise your study score

Thank you I will try those tips!

Bluebird

• Trailblazer
« Reply #13694 on: September 08, 2021, 04:10:00 pm »
can someone explain the difference between a chromosome mutation and a block mutation?