Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 12:41:08 pm

Author Topic: How hard is it to get an ATAR of 70  (Read 66869 times)  Share 

1ne

How hard is it to get an ATAR of 70
« on: April 16, 2012, 05:12:48 pm »
What does it require in terms of SACs and exam marks to get an ATAR of 70-80. Is it really hard?

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
Re: How hard is it to get an ATAR of 70
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 05:22:33 pm »
+1
Forget SAC grades. It's all about sac rank + exam grade.

B's should get you a 70-75. Above 75 you'd need some As I'd assume. Trust me if you are a competent student you shouldn't have any trouble scoring in this range. But it's important to aim even higher because as with everything, unexpected events happen along the way (e.g. stuffing up a sac rank, bad exam day, unlucky tightass question on an exam, etc.).
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

aes_999

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +47
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 05:24:18 pm »
All you need to get 70 (pretty much), is get roughly 30 for each subject. So around the C+ and the B mark for exams and SAC's.
But seriously, AIM WAY HIGHER BRO (lieks 90 or above), if u want to get to a Go8 uni.
B.Comm / B.Eco @ Monash 2012 - 2015

Research Assistant, Faculty of Business and Economics, Monash University

Eddiee

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 05:46:56 pm »
The SAC/exam marks you need varies depending on the strength of your cohort and the difficulty of the subjects you're studying but I would say around C and B. As long as you don't slack off or bomb the exam 70-80 is piss easy to achieve imo :) And yeah, SAC grades mean shit all, it's your ranking that matters. AND AIM HIGHER!

ahah this probably means nothing to you, coming from a Year 11 :'(

1ne

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 05:53:42 pm »
I'm in a bad situation this is why I'm aiming low. I don't see how so many people think 70-80 is easy, some of us who are in a bad situation, who learning doesn't come easy to them, have bad study habits, and no motivation find it extremely difficult. Year 12 has been literally a living hell for me, everyday.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 05:58:42 pm »
+5
Is it really hard?

Just to answer this question, in all honesty, not really. The fact that you're on this forum alone shows that you have more than enough motivation to get over the 80 ATAR barrier :)

edit: fixed typo
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:20:46 pm by VegemitePi »

saheh

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 06:10:26 pm »
+4
I'm in a bad situation this is why I'm aiming low. I don't see how so many people think 70-80 is easy, some of us who are in a bad situation, who learning doesn't come easy to them, have bad study habits, and no motivation find it extremely difficult. Year 12 has been literally a living hell for me, everyday.

hey I know what you mean
I go to a school where only a small percentage of scores are above 80..
and i used to be really scared doing my 3/4s last year that i could only achieve a 75..
and i know you're not feeling the best
but honestly having a goal works. even if it's a certain uni course you want to get in to.
I wouldn't say aim too high because you can become overwhelmed.
be honest to yourself and think what can you realistically achieve if you study hard (for me, theres no way i could get a 99. I'm aiming for a minimum 90, and working hard for 95. And this is coming from the same me who thought a 75 was hard as I freaked in maths lol) I don't need that sort of score, but i just want to challenge myself.
It does require the effort though, and trying to get into a study routine, even if you can only manage an hour at the library afterschool..

Play around with the Atar calc (this is how I picked my goal: a 40 in each of my subjects)

good luck and I believe you can do it!
2012: 97.45
Lit: 36 Further: 39 Eng: 41 Bio: 42 Revs: 42 Outdoor: 49

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 10:31:33 pm »
I think 70-80 is very possible, a few friends of mine were so slack and got high 70s and mid 80s. Don't worry at all.
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 10:32:01 pm »
I think 70-80 is very possible, a few friends of mine were so slack and got high 70s and mid 80s. Don't worry at all.

Oh and for that matter I did crap in all my exams and still got over 90 :P
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

paniko

• South Australian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Fremont-Elizabeth City High
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 06:10:52 pm »
Forget SAC grades. It's all about sac rank + exam grade.

B's should get you a 70-75. Above 75 you'd need some As I'd assume. Trust me if you are a competent student you shouldn't have any trouble scoring in this range. But it's important to aim even higher because as with everything, unexpected events happen along the way (e.g. stuffing up a sac rank, bad exam day, unlucky tightass question on an exam, etc.).

Hey guys, I was just wondering how hard it is to get an ATAR in the 90s?

I'm above an average and below an excellent student. I am in year 12 and i want to Study Law next year but to do that i need an of 90 or above.I am doing Maths Studies (B)
ESL (A-) Intergrated Studie (A)
Business and Enterprise (A) Research project (B) and finally Info processing& publishing (A)

I dont know what to do, i work so hard. i work during breaks after school at home and homework clubs. i have finished almost all of my subject tasks 8 weeks into the year.
i stress and which sometimes causes me to procrastinate. i cant sleep at night. all i do is think about school.
can someone help please??
anything?
can u predict what i will get those grades 3 A, 2 B and and 1 A-
thank youu :)))

Hehetymen

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 06:39:10 pm »
+1
I got over 90 and I didn't really study a lot. Don't worry about getting A's/A+s in your SACs. It's your rank vs your peers that matters. I.e. if you all get Cs but then one person gets a B then s/he'll get top marks or w/e. I don't really know how they scale it but they do. Assuming those grades are exam marks and you've got top marks for your SACs I'd guess somewhere around 85 but it depends on the subjects. A B in a hard subject could get scaled up pretty high. An A in an easier subject could get scaled lower.

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +118
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 02:51:31 am »
+2
Paniko is South Australian, so I'd be careful with giving out info stemming from your experience with VCE, as it may not apply to them.

Hylth

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2021, 08:29:36 pm »
Hi I also wanted to find out if I can reach an ATAR of 70+
The subjects I chose and my marks that i'm currently getting (Unit 3):
GEN MATHS- B
ENGLISH- C+
MUSIC - B
VISUAL ARTS- D (I'm failing :()
HEALTH  - B