Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:35:00 am

Author Topic: Geography 20 mark exam essays  (Read 8576 times)  Share 

marshmallow.on.fire

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Geography 20 mark exam essays
« on: February 21, 2017, 06:31:46 pm »
+1
Hello,
Is there a structure/scaffold which should be used for 20 mark exam questions?
Example Questions: Account for the changing nature, characteristics and spatial distribution of mega-cities. (20 mark)
How many illustrative examples/case studies should be used? Is there a specific paragraph structure (like in English?)? How many pages?
Thanks! Hopefully there's someone out there that's done/doing geography...  ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 07:51:36 pm by marshmallow.on.fire »
I fell in love with atarnotes the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.

(except skip the slowly!)

2017 HSC subjects:
Advanced English
Biology
Mathematics
Chemistry
Geography

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Geography 20 mark exam essays
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 08:50:48 pm »
+4
Hey! So I didn't study geography but my friend did. I sent her this question and this was her response:

"Its basically a megacities questions. You have to define nature distribution and how it's changing, use you case studies and define characteristics. The structure is an intro with basic definition, then paragraphs on how it changes like nature with stats and examples
then characteristics etc, conclusion really basic with just a general statement like these are dynamic therefore they change"

It's fairly brief because she was having to type it up on facebook chat, but hopefully it helps!!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 09:15:05 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

mattmorley

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 08:06:04 am »
+2
Hey

For myself with this question, i started with an introduction giviing a overview of mega cities then introducing the nature charecter and spatial distribution. I also introuced case studies such as Mumbai, Dharka and Mexico City.

The first parapgraph was on nature, giving alot of explanation into the nature of mega cities
Then in the 2nd body paragraph, i used case studies for nature of mega cities, by relating what i described in the paragraph before, to case study cities using statisitics

I then repeated this strucutre for charecter and spatial distribution, where i did one paragraph explaining it, then the next paragraph using a case study city to account for and give evidence for what i said in the paragraph previous.

Hope makes sense
HSC 2017

Standard English
General Maths
Studies of Religion 2
Business Studies
Geography

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 09:55:39 am »
Hey, not sure if you still need help but so far for geography I feel like a general scaffold  for urban places would include a paragraph on each aspect of the question eg. If it was about global networks, spend a whole paragraph on each of the networks etc.
For ecosystems at risk (if 2 case studies are needed) I would do
P1: point 1 ecosystem 1
P2: point 1 ecosystem 2
P3: point 2 ecosystem 1
P4: point 2 ecosystem 2
In the end I guess it just depends on the question
As for illustrative examples and case studies, try and use as many as you can to show off your knowledge, maybe at least 1 per paragraph
Hope this helps rather than just reinforcing stuff you potentially already know  :)
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--