Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:57:48 pm

Author Topic: Should I drop chemistry?  (Read 773 times)

yushid

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Should I drop chemistry?
« on: March 13, 2020, 10:10:28 pm »
I've been struggling to come to a decision about whether or not I should swap chem for business studies. I've only been in the class for 5 weeks out of 7 now, and I did pretty bad in a quiz (55%). My teacher is recommending I move because he says it's only going to get harder. Should I stick it out or just move?

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
Re: Should I drop chemistry?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 09:15:54 pm »
+6
Hi!
Ultimately the decision is up to you, but I would suggest there are some more factors to consider than just test scores/whether a subject seems "hard". These would include:

- Is chemistry/business studies going to be helpful once you leave school?
Are either a prerequisite for uni or future studies, or will they be beneficial for general life skills?

- How are you enjoying chemistry so far?
If you are enjoying something, then it is probably going to be easier to be motivated to study for it. If you are not enjoying it, then it will be mentally harder to try and improve.

- How are you finding the workload?
Is it taking up a lot of your study time compared to other subjects? Does the class move through the content too fast?

- Exam/Assessment requirements:
Work with your strengths here - chemistry has practical assessments, and then multiple choice/short answer questions in exams. I'm not too familiar with assessment for business studies, but would think it involves more case studies, assignments and longer-type responses.

- Social dynamics:
How are you finding the teaching style? What kind of environment/vibe does the class have - diligent, lazy, supportive, too competitive. Is this going to have a positive or negative impact on how you study? (Would suggest this not as important as some of the other factors, but definitely something to consider if you are still stuck between the two choices.)

Hopefully this gives you a broader basis for making your decision!  :)
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD