Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:19:47 am

Author Topic: i go to macrob AMA  (Read 14211 times)  Share 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: i go to macrob AMA
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2020, 03:17:26 pm »
+4
hey, I am trying out next year for macrob. I currently attend selective entry practise tutoring. I just started a few weeks ago. For my first Practise tests i received
Reading Comprehension -56%
Verbal Reasoning -72%
Mathematics- 40%
Numerical Reasoning-42%

(Yes, I really need to work on maths but luckily i have a year remaining, i'm sitting the test in 2021 for year 9 entry)
Can you please give me some advice on the test, like tips on how to prepare efficiently and answer questions quickly(specifically for maths). Also, what did you do to prepare for the test? I go to a competitive school and REALLY want to get in.

hey,

I'm not OP but try to identify the things holding you back more specifically and work on those. e.g. do you take a long time to do mental arithmetic like times tables? does it take you a long time to figure out how to approach the question? Do you make silly errors that slow you down?

When you get more specific with your problems it's easier to figure out targeted solutions

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2020, 05:36:38 pm »
+3
hey, I am trying out next year for macrob. I currently attend selective entry practise tutoring. I just started a few weeks ago. For my first Practise tests i received
Reading Comprehension -56%
Verbal Reasoning -72%
Mathematics- 40%
Numerical Reasoning-42%

(Yes, I really need to work on maths but luckily i have a year remaining, i'm sitting the test in 2021 for year 9 entry)
Can you please give me some advice on the test, like tips on how to prepare efficiently and answer questions quickly(specifically for maths). Also, what did you do to prepare for the test? I go to a competitive school and REALLY want to get in.

hi i just responded to your pm I'm so sorry for the late response! i don't think i can give anymore proper advice on sitting the exam since the format has changed quite a bit since i last did it (my brother sat the exam two years after i did and he told me this) and last time i did it we had two writing pieces. but maybe what i did to prepare could help you out a bit:

- i went to James an so we often did mock tests every week or two
- i used to do reading comprehension exercises from year 9 or 10 textbooks
- for verbal reasoning, i mainly did whatever homework James an would give us
- writing was just looking at different types of prompts online and timing myself and asking a friend to mark it
- numerical reasoning and maths was going through exercises in year 9 and 10 maths textbooks (do not worry about any new concepts too much, but rather, consolidating ideas taught in year 7 and 8)

to be completely honest with you, the marks they give you in tutoring arent the best to monitor your progress. plus, tutoring companies basically teach you HOW to take the exam. teaching yourself or getting tutored concepts is the easy part but the hard part is actually sitting the exam. by teaching and consolidating topics (particularly in maths), you'll be able to figure out if a certain question is going to take you more than a minute to answer. if that's the case, just guess C and move on. like i said, im really sorry that i cant fully answer your question <3
taking a break.

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2020, 05:43:06 pm »
+5
hi guys, i would like to add before you ask me any questions or pm me, please check the thread to see if i have answered your question. i have gotten a lot of messages asking about the selective exam and i would like to mention that it has changed twice since i did it in 2017.

also please know that whichever tutoring company you prepare with for the exam isn't going to make or break whether you get in or not. i received 4 superiors and got in and i know people who have none at all and still got into macrob. i also know people who got 4 superiors and still didn't get in. additionally, if you don't get into whichever selective school you want, its not the end of the world. just work your ass off for vce. if you get in, that's great, good on you. but please be kind to yourself if you get a "bad" mark on a practice exam or don't do well on the exam. there are many factors that determine your entry and with covid-19 it makes it even more uncertain.

like i said, i have no problems with answering any questions about the selective school exam, but just read the thread and see if I've answered the question you might want to ask and remember, I'm old now so the formatting has changed quite a bit. please take my advice on preparation and exam skills with a grain of salt.

stay hydrated and stay safe <33
taking a break.