Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 04:58:03 am

Author Topic: What supplementary material should I buy?  (Read 1859 times)  Share 

SS1314

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +18
What supplementary material should I buy?
« on: November 26, 2019, 10:44:02 pm »
+1
Hello,

I am going to be undertaking Biology 3/4 next year (year 11) and was wondering what supplementary books you guys recommend me to get so I am well equipped to handle my SACs and ace the exam.
2021: English, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Physics [50]

Offering 2022 head start classes (PM for details)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: What supplementary material should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 01:18:24 am »
+4
Hello,

I am going to be undertaking Biology 3/4 next year (year 11) and was wondering what supplementary books you guys recommend me to get so I am well equipped to handle my SACs and ace the exam.
So you should have a textbook prescribed by your school. In addition to that I think a good supplementary book would be a concise set of notes which can be very useful for studying for SACs. I would recommend the notes sold by connect education and ATAR Notes. I used both sets during highschool since they were quite different. Connect Education had a nice summary of the course whilst the AN Notes were more conversational which kinda felt like they were teaching you on the spot - so it kind of assumes less understanding whilst Connect is more summary.

You would also want to have a nice set of exams - it is possible to buy these but hardly anyone does this since it is usually easy to get these from past students/teachers. If you don't learn ahead of your class you can probably start doing exams at the end of semester 1 since you will have learnt all the unit 3 content. Old exams had 2 exams - 1 for U3 and 1 for U4 so you can get a start on those U3 exams relatively early. I can't think of anything else I used or I think will be useful - if I do I will post again.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 10:48:22 am »
+4
Hey,

I wanted to chime in and say that you might find supplementary materials helpful but they certainly aren't necessary to get a high score. I personally only got what was on my school booklist (jacaranda textbook pack including study on) and found that the most useful thing for me was having access to past questions sorted by topic.

SS1314

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 02:02:55 pm »
I already have bought ATARNotes Course Notes for Bio 3/4. Would you guys recommend me to get another set of notes from another company? If yes then which ones (I was of either A+ notes or Connect Education notes)?

SS1314

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 07:11:04 pm »
So you should have a textbook prescribed by your school. In addition to that I think a good supplementary book would be a concise set of notes which can be very useful for studying for SACs. I would recommend the notes sold by connect education and ATAR Notes. I used both sets during highschool since they were quite different. Connect Education had a nice summary of the course whilst the AN Notes were more conversational which kinda felt like they were teaching you on the spot - so it kind of assumes less understanding whilst Connect is more summary.

You would also want to have a nice set of exams - it is possible to buy these but hardly anyone does this since it is usually easy to get these from past students/teachers. If you don't learn ahead of your class you can probably start doing exams at the end of semester 1 since you will have learnt all the unit 3 content. Old exams had 2 exams - 1 for U3 and 1 for U4 so you can get a start on those U3 exams relatively early. I can't think of anything else I used or I think will be useful - if I do I will post again.

I was looking at Connect Education Notes online and came across various editions (3.0, 6.0, 6.5 etc.). Which one is the latest (I am so confused lol).

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 08:46:21 pm »
+1
I was looking at Connect Education Notes online and came across various editions (3.0, 6.0, 6.5 etc.). Which one is the latest (I am so confused lol).

latest edition is currently 6.5
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 08:48:18 pm by Ionic Doc »
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

SS1314

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 10:42:25 pm »
latest edition is currently 6.5

Oh ok thank you for the clarification

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 11:37:05 pm »
I already have bought ATARNotes Course Notes for Bio 3/4. Would you guys recommend me to get another set of notes from another company? If yes then which ones (I was of either A+ notes or Connect Education notes)?
I don't know if one is really better than the other overall - I know people who have found both very useful (personally I did have both but didn't use A+ notes that much) You should probably try to get a look at both of them and choose which one you prefer - or the ones which complements your other resources the best.

SS1314

• Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 11:36:40 am »
+1
I don't know if one is really better than the other overall - I know people who have found both very useful (personally I did have both but didn't use A+ notes that much) You should probably try to get a look at both of them and choose which one you prefer - or the ones which complements your other resources the best.

I think I'll just get the Connect notes. Thank you for the help  :)