Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 08:03:46 pm

Author Topic: What are you reading at the moment?  (Read 61823 times)

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
Re: What are you reading at the moment?
« Reply #210 on: December 30, 2019, 11:30:50 pm »
+5
Currently reading "The 5 Second Rule" by Mel Robbins.
If you feel that you need a kick to get things done, I'd recommend this book.

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #211 on: January 01, 2020, 06:24:47 pm »
+4
Currently reading the 'Children of Virtue and Vengeance'. It came out quite quickly so me being me, I scrambled to the Dymocks bookstore, bought it with my gift card and literally hugged it.

It's the second book in the Children of Blood and Bone series and it's pretty good. Highly recommend to anyone who likes young adult books and fantasy.

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #212 on: January 01, 2020, 07:38:33 pm »
+3
I wish I felt I had time for 'free' reading - but alas I know the only books ill pick up this year are my english texts.
Currently reading the Lieutenant - so far its not too bad
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #213 on: January 01, 2020, 07:44:04 pm »
+4
New Century Physics for Queensland Units 3 & 4  :'( :'( :'(
How exciting...
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #214 on: January 01, 2020, 09:06:47 pm »
+3
Currently reading the 'Children of Virtue and Vengeance'. It came out quite quickly so me being me, I scrambled to the Dymocks bookstore, bought it with my gift card and literally hugged it.

It's the second book in the Children of Blood and Bone series and it's pretty good. Highly recommend to anyone who likes young adult books and fantasy.

Pls tell me if you like this one! I've heard a lot of good things and I'm keen to actually read that series... when I get around to it :D

Current reads:
- A People's History of Heaven (Mathangi Subramanian) (I've been reading this one incrementally as a reviewer on this one for a blog tour!)
- Again, but Better (Christine Riccio) (A library book I've been incrementally reading and nearly finished with!)

My January TBR currently includes:
- Angel Mage (Garth Nix- Australian Young Adult author)
- A Room of One's Own (Virginia Woolf)
- Wayward Son (Rainbow Rowell) (I've had this sitting here on my desk since release week- and on my goodreads tbr for some time lmao- I'm so keen to get SnowBaz back into my life this month!)

Assuming that I finish the three books in the TBR (as I'm away from my bookstash for a period of time in the second part of the month):
- A Darker Shade of Magic (V. E. Schwab) (the local library recommend it to me as part of their summer reading program)
- A Heart so Fierce and Broken (Brigid Kemmerer) (my book club's book of the month)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #215 on: January 01, 2020, 09:41:36 pm »
+2
I'm currently reading "The Tempest" then "Hag-Seed" afterwards for Mod A for school  8) 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #216 on: January 03, 2020, 04:15:48 pm »
+2
Have since moved on to Everybody Lies by Seth Stevens-Davidowitz. Really interesting concept, using Google searches as a form of data. There are some really convincing anecdotes about how these data can be used to reveal things that don't come up much on surveys.
At times it's a little problematic--he makes some conclusions that I don't think are enormously reasonable given the evidence, but I suspect many with a vague interest in human psychology or data science would enjoy it.

Other current reads (i.e. those that I'm struggling to get to the end of) are The Tragedy of Liberation by Frank Dikotter (first in a series about the rise of Mao), Are We Asian Yet by various authors (about Australia's status as an Asian country, a collection of essays) and Breaking Point by Peter Seamer (about urban planning, mainly in Melbourne and Sydney).
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #217 on: January 03, 2020, 04:23:47 pm »
+1
Got Neale Daniher's autobiography for Christmas, so I'm getting stuck into that now! Also having a reread of Bjorn Borg's autobiography back from 1980, really in the spirit of the summer (of tennis).

School's out, getting into reading is back.  :)
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Pearlmilktea

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #218 on: January 03, 2020, 05:17:56 pm »
+4
Currently reading: Two Can Keep a Secret by Karen M. McManus.
I absolutely loved her first book, One of Us is Lying, and 100% recommend it to anyone who likes murder mystery.

Here's part of the Goodreads synopsis:
The Breakfast Club meets Pretty Little Liars, One of Us Is Lying is the story of what happens when five strangers walk into detention and only four walk out alive. Everyone is a suspect, and everyone has something to hide.
Pay close attention and you might solve this.
Only, Simon never makes it out of that classroom. Before the end of detention, Simon's dead. And according to investigators, his death wasn't an accident. On Monday, he died. But on Tuesday, he'd planned to post juicy reveals about all four of his high-profile classmates, which makes all four of them suspects in his murder.

It may sound cliché but it's a nice, chill read which keeps you on your toes :) A great book to get you back into reading.
HSC 2018: French Continuers (92)
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

ATAR: 98.45
HSC All-rounder :)

Gracie :D

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #219 on: January 03, 2020, 05:59:01 pm »
+2
Pls tell me if you like this one! I've heard a lot of good things and I'm keen to actually read that series... when I get around to it :D
YES, I love it! It's probably one of my favourite books of all time! You should definitely read this series! You won't regret it!  ;D ;D

Currently reading: Two Can Keep a Secret by Karen M. McManus.
I absolutely loved her first book, One of Us is Lying, and 100% recommend it to anyone who likes murder mystery.

It may sound cliché but it's a nice, chill read which keeps you on your toes :) A great book to get you back into reading.
I loved 'One of Us is Lying'! It was also pretty easy to read which was a major plus! I've been recommending it to everyone! How do you like the second book so far?  ;D

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #220 on: January 09, 2020, 03:48:00 pm »
+5
Last night, I finished This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay. I found it extremely enjoyable and humorous but also very thought-provoking and sad. It follows the experiences of a junior doctor (in the NHS) through their career. It's split into journal entries, so if you can equally read it for three minutes or three hours at a time.

Really recommend it to everybody. All of the actual medical stuff is extremely well explained for the layperson (like me) in footnotes. 10/10!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #221 on: January 19, 2020, 12:06:15 pm »
+3
Now on Australia—what happened? By Ben Pobjie. It’s an Aus history book, but like Girt by David Hunt (a personal favourite) it’s very funny.

Last night, I finished This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay. I found it extremely enjoyable and humorous but also very thought-provoking and sad. It follows the experiences of a junior doctor (in the NHS) through their career. It's split into journal entries, so if you can equally read it for three minutes or three hours at a time.

Really recommend it to everybody. All of the actual medical stuff is extremely well explained for the layperson (like me) in footnotes. 10/10!

Love this book! There’s a sequel to it that came out at Christmas, which unfortunately isn’t as good. Found his original really meaningful and surprisingly made me want to do medicine more.

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #222 on: January 19, 2020, 03:18:55 pm »
+4

I just finished reading it this month! If you are more interested in medical stuff, read When Breath Becomes Air. It’s about a neurosurgeon resident (basically still training to be a neurosurgeon) who becomes diagnosed with a certain disease. It does not have the humour found in Adam McKay’s book, but I found it to be much more profound. Read it 2 times or more, to my memory. Give it a go!
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #223 on: January 19, 2020, 04:13:08 pm »
+4
I just finished reading it this month! If you are more interested in medical stuff, read When Breath Becomes Air. It’s about a neurosurgeon resident (basically still training to be a neurosurgeon) who becomes diagnosed with a certain disease. It does not have the humour found in Adam McKay’s book, but I found it to be much more profound. Read it 2 times or more, to my memory. Give it a go!

Also recommend this book. Very, very different to Adam Kay’s book, but similarly very profound.

sweetcheeks

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +83
  • School: ---
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #224 on: January 19, 2020, 05:27:00 pm »
+1
Finished reading 'Last One Home' by John Ehle. I quite enjoyed the book, very well written and was different from my usual reads. It didn't have some big plot twist, rather it just followed a characters' life from adolescence to death. It had amazing descriptions that gave a really good picture in my head of the landscape and the towns.

It is the last book in a series by Ehle that loosely follows a fictional family in the Appalachians through the 1800's and early 1900's. I didn't realise it until I finished the book that this was the case (doesn't affect the book in any way) and unfortunately the library doesn't have any of the others.