Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:09:26 pm

Author Topic: Wait Prelims are over? Existential Crises and More  (Read 6248 times)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Re: Wait Prelims are over? Existential Crises and More
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 11:17:53 pm »
+5
I'm wondering if its okay to take 13 units just for like term 4 to make sure i enjoy it. Since I don't want to be caught with 10 units.

Maaaaath amirite :')
Hey,
I did 2 majors (4 performances for music and history extension), and I loved both of them. It is definitely possible and can be really fun.
With the 13 units stuff-I'm still doing 13 units now in yr 12. It is ok and I love all of my subjects-but is a lot of work and stressful at times (9 exams for trials was not fun). I know for history extension the only assignment I had in term 4 was the proposal which was worth 10% so for that specifically I don't think there is too much for you next term. But, you can always drop a subject when you feel you need to.
Good luck for the start of year 12  :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 11:18:33 pm »
+3
No my ultimate kryptonite--Hamilton references! I'm Helpless!

But thanks for the reassurance! I'm mostly worried because the other major work I'd be doing is English Extension 2, though I can't see how those Major Works would do anything but help me come exam time since creative and essay practise y'know? Though people do Visual Arts with Drama and I'm like y'all c r a z y. I've never met someone who actually thinks they had enough time for their major work in VA.

But yeah, HAMILTON. IPT is a subject where it's fun but I'm not gonna rank one and I'm like since I like both subjects that should be the next priority down? I'm wondering if its okay to take 13 units just for like term 4 to make sure i enjoy it. Since I don't want to be caught with 10 units.

Maaaaath amirite :')

Three majors is still a possibility but that's just pushing it. It all really depends what subjects are your strengths, which ones will pull up your atar and which ones you actually enjoy. You are certainly allowed to do 13 units in Term 4. Give it a lil test run and decide if you want to stick with 13 units for the rest of the hsc year. Usually in term four, thats when you start planning your majors and might do a proposal at the end of term. See the feedback you get and hopefully you'll know which majors to stick with. Just do all that and That Would Be Enough ;)

(people who do VA and drama at the same time are so impressive. two people in my year group did that and i'm surprised that they did everything on time. especially with their performances and body of work due in the same week! it's like they wanna watch the whole world Burn ;) )

(i'll stop with the hamilton references now hehehe)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
  • It`s not a day without an existential crisis or tw
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 06:59:22 pm »
+3
Tomorrow is my first day of Year 12.
woo.
I'm excited for the process as a whole but not for tomorrow particularly. English first period and our teacher is going to be an ass because of what happened last term. Also debating history extension like ahh.

Also holidays are over and I'm not willing to deal with that to be honest. My gaming addiction has not been curbed--I need to finish Persona 5 after like six months before it is.

But otherwise, yay?
HSC 2018: Who knows at this point

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 10:40:04 am »
+2
First few days of Year 12 have been good! Our common room is amazing and air conditioned so I know where I'm going to be when it's hot af.

Some teachers are like stuff it let's start our course (Bio) and other's are like lets tiptoe around it (modern) while my English Extension teacher won't even explain what Navigating the Global is. Like I've no idea what it even entails, other than a few broad concepts. Biology I;m excited for though because this syllabus sounds so much better than Preliminary.

English I'm like blegh overall though. Still a little distant with my teacher because I'm done with his moodswings. He's good when he's good but when he's bad it's so bad. Math is a trainwreck as always. :)

Today is a Gala day because it's our new sports field opening! So we only go to periods 2, 5 and 6. And I'm currently watching YouTube in Legal because my teacher is like to me and the other girl dropping, "You're definitely not staying? Just do what you want then." So I'm like hell yeah. I'll probably use these three weeks to study for other classes. But I've been doing chores for teachers all morning so I'm gonna relax ahah.

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 05:45:42 pm »
F*ck. Frick frack friggity frack. I'm going to be forced to stop going to therapy because of my school's stupid timetabling. My therapist only does Monday mornings and guess what I have Monday mornings? English Extension 2 ofc, the only subject i've been waiting to do for most of my schooling life. I'm even considering cancelling this appointment but I can't because they're closed and i have no idea what to do. I'm already on thin ice taking 11 units and 3 of them being extensions. I don't want to tell the school I go to therapy but maybe I'm going to need to? The ideal solution to this is to see if my therapist does !0:30 appointments since I have a free second period and then Christian Studies (which isnt a hsc subject) and i could continue life normally.

But the odds of that?? Idk I'm now so fricking anxious like therapy is meant to do the opposite of this right? I know if i have to I'll just have to get another therapist but I don't want to because she's so nice and we connect well. D:

There are only two of us in the class so I'm not sure if it'd be another option to ask the school if there was any other timetable alternative? Maybe if I explained that I've gone from seriously depressed, demotivated and a nervous wreck to a somewhat decently adjusted person partly because of therapy they'd be more sympathetic? I'm not sure if they timetabled it that way because my teacher can't do any other day but?? Maybe the teacher herself will understand, I'm not sure what to do because this is a big thing to me. Our school is only small so Im not sure if that helps or makes it worse.

Any advice or anecdotes from a similar situation would be super helpful!

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 08:15:02 pm »
+1
So that issue resolved itself because school decided timetabling in a lesson for monday morning on friday afternoon w/o consulting teacher or students was a good idea. So now its gonna be some time else but i have no idea honestly. We have our altogether lesson for the fortnight but then the other kid snagged the only spot on the timetable that i couldve gone with on my timetable and its asghfjk bc i already do morning classes AND lunch classes. Like please dont do this to me.

BUT I am SO glad i dropped subjects. The deputy almost wasn't going to sign me going down to 11 units/3 ext units but then I was like "Well y'all said I couldn't do 14 units and pass and guess who came second in ext math and first in ext english ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" and she just sorta conceded. Free periodsssss. My loves. My life. My everything. Get to go home early at least once a week. And considering 2/7 of my subjects are major work based i think free periods are more beneficial than class work really? Regret nothing though because I was going to treat them as bludge subjects anyway.

Got a math tutor! And he's so good!! He's a teacher at Merewether high and has been for hella long time so he really knows his stuff. I can now differentiate. I'm not sure how i got along so far without knowing how to but i did. But he's going to save my hsc math i think, as long as i keep working hard at it.

Year 12 is good so far, but let's see how we go with assessments lol. Biology prac test is scaring me because we dont get to choose groups. D: Group tasks are worst tasks. Always.

Anyone going to Avondale tomorrow for a leadership thing?? Hit me up if you are and lets see if we can spot each other!

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 11:28:45 pm »
Omg feel you so much on the frees, had my first one ever 2 days ago cos I dropped biology and it was so freaking good.
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 09:36:22 pm »
My friend's got a new tumour :/ Been lacking motivation for anything since hearing that

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 09:59:04 pm »
Man, that's too bad, I'm sorry to hear that and hope he/she is holding up okay. Take care of yourself, before anything else. Is it malignant?
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 09:56:25 am »
Man, that's too bad, I'm sorry to hear that and hope he/she is holding up okay. Take care of yourself, before anything else. Is it malignant?

Yes it's malignant. She's got two actively growing ones now. The only reason the first one stalled was because of experimental drugs and therapy she managed to get in a clinical trial. The doctors dont know what to do. Its on the nerve that controls her left arm so even surgery has a high risk of paralysing her arm permanently. She's been dealing with this for two years and Idk how. Her cancer is extremely rare and its the first case in Newcastle ever. She was coming back to school and everything before and only after a couple days of saying her arm hurts her blood count is dangerously low. So, shes probs not ocming back to school.

In other news, I'm going to Relay for Life today, fittingly.

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2017, 02:49:48 pm »
+1
Done a few assessments and handing a few more in this week.

Math i got 78 in which is really disappointing because it was one mark off an A. (the whole thing was out of 36 so one mark lost deducted a LOT) . Currently ranked 5th in the class, but I hope to move to 3rd in Half Yearlys, since some of what i did was a real stupid mistake.

Biology was 93%, ranked fourth. Hoping to claw my way back to 1st hahaha. Doubt it's gonna happen though.

Handing in Modern History and History Extension this Thursday + Biology portfolio test this Friday.

Short update because im v procrastinating from everything. Free periods are pretty great though so no regrets there.

mary123987

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2017, 02:54:20 pm »
+1
Done a few assessments and handing a few more in this week.

Math i got 78 in which is really disappointing because it was one mark off an A. (the whole thing was out of 36 so one mark lost deducted a LOT) . Currently ranked 5th in the class, but I hope to move to 3rd in Half Yearlys, since some of what i did was a real stupid mistake.

Biology was 93%, ranked fourth. Hoping to claw my way back to 1st hahaha. Doubt it's gonna happen though.

Handing in Modern History and History Extension this Thursday + Biology portfolio test this Friday.

Short update because im v procrastinating from everything. Free periods are pretty great though so no regrets there.

Hey good job ! sounds great , from my Hsc experience all i can say is nothing is impossible if you believe you can do it you can ! believe in yourself and put in the effort
HSC : Chemistry l Physics l Studies of Religion 2 l English advanced l 2 Unit Maths l

*INTERESTED IN TUTORING ? FEEL FREE TO PM ME.
I'M OFFERING TUTORING FOR PHYSICS ,CHEMISTRY , STUDIES OF RELIGION 2 AND 2 UNIT MATHS
REGARDS*