Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:42:00 pm

Author Topic: Bee(a) buzzing through the hsc  (Read 28748 times)

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
Re: Bee(a) buzzing through the hsc
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2017, 11:48:13 pm »
+4
For English, I tend to just look at the question, take five minutes to *plan* out a response (I don't actually write a response). While I do think practice writing a full essay is important, that becomes useless if you don't know where the direction of your argument is headed. If I were to write a response, I'd definitely having it open book first, and then gradually shift to a closed book exam. Definitely should get one under exam condition; get as uncomfortable as you can and mimic exam conditions.

For Mathematics, I just do the exams under exam conditions. Helps you to calm down before the HSC exams.
Been stuck with 96% for the 2014 and 2013 3u exams with 10 minutes to spare (need to get to 100% before the HSC).

Just some things you may want to consider to get your motivations up haha

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2017, 11:12:17 pm »
+4
october 5, 2017

okay okay soooo some progress is being made

- finished the 2016 question for my mod c. gotta get that typed up and submit it to the essay marking thread ;)
- did the hard Q8 and Q9 questions from the 2006 and 2007 maths papers. still ignoring all the question 10s because I REFUSE (i should definitely do them one day)
- did half of the 2015 xerxes question (10 marker). discovered i barely have notes on xerxes' building programme  :-\

went to the library with my friends today. not sure if it helped though? was nice seeing them again but it was a bit loud and distracting. don't get me wrong, i love them but they always go off track at times...

i'll decide tomorrow if i still want to study with them or not...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 11:17:12 pm by beatroot »
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2017, 11:15:36 pm »
+3
For English, I tend to just look at the question, take five minutes to *plan* out a response (I don't actually write a response). While I do think practice writing a full essay is important, that becomes useless if you don't know where the direction of your argument is headed. If I were to write a response, I'd definitely having it open book first, and then gradually shift to a closed book exam. Definitely should get one under exam condition; get as uncomfortable as you can and mimic exam conditions.

For Mathematics, I just do the exams under exam conditions. Helps you to calm down before the HSC exams.
Been stuck with 96% for the 2014 and 2013 3u exams with 10 minutes to spare (need to get to 100% before the HSC).

Just some things you may want to consider to get your motivations up haha

Think I should do essay scaffolds for now (esp. for english and ancient). I need to learn how to structure my stuff...

As for Maths, I keep making really silly mistakes! I was at tutoring today and for one question I had -16 and in the next line I had +16. So careless!! I need to learn to stop making mistakes!!

Right now my only motivation is the high achievers' assembly next year so that I have an excuse to visit my school hehe ;) (i miss my school so much)

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2017, 11:42:00 am »
+1

Think I should do essay scaffolds for now (esp. for english and ancient). I need to learn how to structure my stuff...

As for Maths, I keep making really silly mistakes! I was at tutoring today and for one question I had -16 and in the next line I had +16. So careless!! I need to learn to stop making mistakes!!

Right now my only motivation is the high achievers' assembly next year so that I have an excuse to visit my school hehe ;) (i miss my school so much)

Omg girl, that high achievers' assembly is literally the primary motivating factor towards my goal of 90+, even though I haven't even gone into Year 12 yet. Man, seeing your teachers and peers after such a long absence and stressful time would be so fulfilling. I hope you're able to make it there, keep persevering ;D
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2017, 01:14:20 pm »
+1
went to the library with my friends today. not sure if it helped though? was nice seeing them again but it was a bit loud and distracting. don't get me wrong, i love them but they always go off track at times...
It was a well known fact in my year level that if you wanted a quiet study area, you should go to the year 12 common room, and if you wanted a social time and didn't want to do much work, you should go to the library lol.

Omg girl, that high achievers' assembly is literally the primary motivating factor towards my goal of 90+, even though I haven't even gone into Year 12 yet. Man, seeing your teachers and peers after such a long absence and stressful time would be so fulfilling. I hope you're able to make it there, keep persevering ;D

Funnily enough, making my school's "Academic Honours Society" (95+ ATAR) so I would get an invite to the first assembly of 2017 was one of my main goals for year 12 - I didn't think I'd ever make it haha, but having something tangible to work towards (I never actually had a goal ATAR, besides wanting to get above 90) was great for me. Long story short, I ended up making it, and got to go back, which was awesome :D It's super cool getting to see your teachers when you're no longer their student.

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2017, 01:43:15 pm »
Once we leave unless you get dux my school does not care about 'high achievers', literally you graduate high school and never return omg  ;D
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2017, 03:10:03 pm »
+3

Thanks! Hope you enjoy Year 12 next term and hope you get that 90+ ;D ;D

It was a well known fact in my year level that if you wanted a quiet study area, you should go to the year 12 common room, and if you wanted a social time and didn't want to do much work, you should go to the library lol.

Same with my school but if you wanted a quiet study area then too bad. Both the common room and the library were used for social purposes. Hope the upcoming Year 12s don't repeat the same mistakes my year group did haha

Funnily enough, making my school's "Academic Honours Society" (95+ ATAR) so I would get an invite to the first assembly of 2017 was one of my main goals for year 12 - I didn't think I'd ever make it haha, but having something tangible to work towards (I never actually had a goal ATAR, besides wanting to get above 90) was great for me. Long story short, I ended up making it, and got to go back, which was awesome :D It's super cool getting to see your teachers when you're no longer their student.

Aww thanks for sharing your story with us! This definitely makes me want to put in that extra effort now!! At my school, our definition of high achievers are people who got at least one Band 6 or an ATAR above 90 for the HSC. Our school is pretty small so only 8-15 people get in each year. Hope things change ;D

Once we leave unless you get dux my school does not care about 'high achievers', literally you graduate high school and never return omg  ;D

Oh that sucks! All the high achievers should be commended for their hard work, not just the dux ;) (well the dux is pretty impressive but still)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2017, 11:17:51 pm »
+5
october 7, 2017

Did an incomplete discovery essay, with one body paragraph and conclusion missing. Did Q1-Q7 in the 2007 Maths paper. Was about to do a Greek World essay but had to teach my mum about the Persian Wars instead. Kinda helped in a way because she asked me questions about the Ionian Revolt and realised that I needed to revise on that section (dammit Aristagoras!!!)

Why is the HSC getting closer each day smh.

I'm planning to go to school on Monday really quick to drop off my English essays and Ancient practice answers.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2017, 11:39:24 pm »
+6
october 8, 2017

Well well well what did I get up to today?

Finished Q8-9 in the 2007 Maths paper (skipped Q10 because no). Could've moved onto the 2008 one but I kept making a lot of mistakes and I was so mad at myself. Needed a break from all the maths (especially finance smh).

I (finally) did the 2016 question for Mod B. Realised that I know like 5 quotes. This is a HUGE problem AHHHH. But I ended up finding this 10 page quote booklet that our teachers provided us. What a relief. Though I felt like I was repeating myself in my essay. Too much of 'Harry Lavender', 'Sydney' and 'corruption'. Also I haven't done any of my english essays under timed conditions... I always do open book because I can't remember all my quotes. I'll probably do timed conditions on Thursday onwards. I also attached three batteries on my pen. Hoping I can write faster during the HSC.

Did some Pompeii and Herculaneum questions from the 2013 ancient paper. Multiple choice was ridiculous and I actually got a headache when I reached the second short answer question. Felt like my brain was going to explode (but not to the extent of the people who died during the eruption though)

I'm gonna go to school tomorrow to submit my english essays to my teacher :)

Good luck to all the new Year 12s starting tomorrow ;D ;D

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2017, 05:19:19 pm »
+5
october 11, 2017

after handing in my essays to my teacher on monday, i went back to school today to collect them. im super super glad that she liked them because i worked so hard for this subject honestly. i have this need to prove all the english teachers wrong at my school. they all look down on me because i'm asian and think i can't express myself as well as the other girls in year.

well guess what?? she thought i have improved greatly since the start of the hsc. i'm so relieved because i was worried that my essays are still not up to par. my teacher also liked my creative story too. she said that i was the most improved in the class of twenty. this is huge considering that she's also a current hsc marker for both advanced and standard!

Spoiler
so here's a massive 'f u' to all the english teachers who said i'm terrible at english just because i'm asian (especially my year 10 teacher who said i wasn't good enough for advanced). i know i do standard, but hey! 41 people do standard and i'm coming seventh place. who said asians were bad at english?

i'm in a really good mood right now. i really want that band 6 for english.

i feel like betty cooper right now

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 05:21:42 pm by beatroot »

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2017, 11:27:48 pm »
+4
october 13, 2017

I can't believed that I did paper one and paper two under timed conditions today. How did I survive writing for two hours straight? I had to stop at times to massage my hand. I did the questions from the 2017 Independent Trial papers and they were HARD.

Not gonna lie but I've gotten a bit slow at writing since trials which is a worry. I didn't even get to writing my conclusions for the unseen texts mini essay, mod B and C. I'm still dependent on my notes. I feel that I'm more prepared for paper two than paper one. Can't believe that the HSC is on Monday ahhhhh!!

Tomorrow I will answer the new AN Paper One practice paper ;) Gotta practice section 1 especially. I completely bs'd section 1 of Paper one in the trials and managed to get a decent score (even though I studied for it once). Though I know I can't risk not practicing my weakest section.

Was supposed to do more maths but my friends came to my house today for dinner ;D .

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2017, 09:11:21 pm »
+5
october 15, 2017

did three sets of unseen texts questions since yesterday. wrote out my creative four to five times in the past 48 hours. just a lil bit worried that i'll forget some parts in the actual exam.

just gotta remember
- anger
- river
- price

each word represents what each paragraph is mostly about...

as for my essay, i'm just hoping that my quotes suit the question.

i will memorise more quotes before i go to sleep.

good luck to everyone tomorrow ;D

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2017, 02:35:41 pm »
+6
october 19, 2017

paper one:
- didn't understand any of the unseen texts at all. was literally praying for a visual text but jinxed myself. glad that they only provided three texts though as this gave me enough time to answer the mini essay.
- the third quote for the creative section was perfect my story.
- just a bit worried that my structure was a bit meh. like i had two integrated paragraphs and kind of ignored one part of the questions oops.

paper two:
- mod a [distinctively visual - douglas stewart]: not a bad question. super glad they didn't ask for a specific poem.

- mod b [close study - harry lavender]: seriously the worst question i've encountered for this module so far. i was procrastinating during the exam because i didn't know what to do. the question was 'how does the narrative point of view make day's novel unsettling'. talked about the dual narrative and harry lavender (the antagonist). my tutor mentioned that i could've mentioned claudia valentine as a narrator because she's a female detective, challenging the conventions of a hard boiled genre book, therefore making day's book unsettling. super mad i didn't mention claudia AT ALL. i was so used to seeing female detectives in crime shows that i didn't think claudia as a narrator was unsettling. but that's all in the past i guess...

- mod c [exploring transitions - billy elliot]: since i procrastinated during mod b, this ate time into my mod c essay and didn't mention as many key ideas as i should've. question was fairly easy and similar to discovery. i was really distracted during mod c because they turned off the air conditioner and a girl decided to move seats and at least two supervisors had to accompany her ... i'm so bad at concentrating ahh

what now?
- revising for maths by doing past papers. i'm currently ignoring the finance questions because i suck at them. but i know i have to do them eventually in the future. also have time myself under timed conditions.
- doing past papers for ancient history. my notes are so synthesised that there's barely any detail, so i have to go back to the textbook and do an open book test instead.
- society & culture is in two weeks and we still haven't finished our notes and the course! i'm so worried.
- like i previously mentioned, i will study for visual arts 3-4 days before the exam. why? the less i study, the more bs comes out in my exam. and for some reason, bs in art is encouraged.

hope everyone is going well with their hsc exams  ;D

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2017, 12:55:39 pm »
+7
november 1, 2017

Just realised I haven't made an entry in so long oops... ANYWAYS

mathematics:
went better than expected .... I'm really surprised. except question 16 (screw you john and your bike)

ancient history:
pompeii and herculaneum: not bad besides the extended response AHHH
spartan society: best section out of the four!! predicted the extended response question so i was super happy!
xerxes: really didn't like any of the questions ...
greek world: 500BC-440BC: did this section last and at this point i kind of gave up. the dot point i studied for wasn't even included  :'(

what now?
- revising for society & culture is KILLING ME. i had exactly eight days to revise and guess who left it at the last minute? i don't mind the core topic but the electives are so meh. the focus study for social conformity and non-conformity is christiania and i really don't like it. i guess i have to talk about nazis and neo-nazis tomorrow because they're so much easier to write about than christiania. also, despite not finishing the course at all for belief system and ideologies at school, i taught myself the entire topic. not bad as i expected but it's really bland. it just feels like i did SOR 2 :/

everytime i try to write an essay for SAC, it takes me about 3 hours because i get so bored easily. i'm so scared for the exam tomorrow.

- as for visual arts, i'm just memorising the same essay that i wrote for trials. i also plan on NOT studying for section 1 :)

exactly on november 3 (this friday!) at 3:30pm, i will be officially done with the hsc!!!!

i wonder how everyone is going with their hsc exams ...

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2017, 04:28:09 pm »
+3
*dobby voice* bea has no hsc ... bea is a FREE ELF!!!!
finished my last hsc exam yesterday afternoon woooo!!!! ;D ;D

my thoughts for my last two exams:

society & culture:
I can already tell that this was my worst exam. Not enough concepts, examples and all my essays was just me ranting half the time oops. Hoping my answers for the core topic will pull  my mark up.

visual arts:
strangely harder than trials? out of the six essay questions, i was passionate for NONE OF THEM. it's so hard writing an art essay if you're not passionate about the essay question :( . everyone in my class did question 7 and i was the only one who did question 8 ahahaha. it was a frames question which i usually never do because apparently they give lower marks for it... hoping my analysis was alright. my answers for section 1 were a bit of a stretch. super annoyed that half the plates in section 1 were classical/traditional artworks. nothing wrong with them besides the fact you can only give a literal interpretation. gimme some abstract, contemporary works please. but besides from that, this was my strongest exam... hoping for a 94%+

if i had to rank my strongest exam to my weakest, it has to be...

1. visual arts without a doubt. i trust both my (hsc markers) art teachers. im hoping a guaranteed band six for this subject. wish i could get a state rank but my second assessment task ruined my internal mark average ahhh. would love to get nominated for art express (a couple of girls from my school get nominated. one girl last year got accepted!).
2. paper one strange enough ... i liked the unseen texts (besides the notorious mango poem even though i used it for the mini essay because the third unseen text was bad)
3. ancient history: worked my butt off for this subject. despite my hatred for ancient at the start of the year, i've grown to love it in the end.
4.mathematics: just a bit paranoid i made a lot of silly mistakes because i rushed in the exam (got through q1-q15 in the first two hours. even had time to go to the bathroom which made the other girls in the exam a bit anxious)
5. paper two... module b essay was so bad mmhh. mod a was alright and didn't put enough ideas as i would have wanted in my mod c.
6. society & culture (reasons being it my weakest exam mentioned above)

what now?
- just waiting if i got accepted into aftrs or not. offers come out third/last week this month. if i don't get in, i will go to aftt or to uts.
- of course my dearest atar... at this rate, i really don't mind getting 87+ instead of 90+. i know scaling and your school's rank doesn't matter but i just don't trust some of the people from my school.
- the post-hsc meetup is this wednesday which is super exciting!
- trying to find a new job seeing that my boss removed me off the roster and i think she doesn't like me...
- might help some people from my school with their PIPs and BOWs.

might do one or two more posts in this board about my review of my hsc year and some advice for the new year 12s...