Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:11:02 pm

Author Topic: Katie-A Rhino's charge through the HSC!  (Read 22952 times)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Re: Katie-A Rhino's charge through the HSC!
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 01:04:41 pm »
+9
Celebratory post!
I got a really good mark in maths (92% scaled, 2nd or 3rd), that really surprised me as it was a hard test!
So happy my work paid off! :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 02:07:09 pm »
+3
Celebratory post!
I got a really good mark in maths (92% scaled, 2nd or 3rd), that really surprised me as it was a hard test!

congrats!!!!!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 02:42:22 pm »
+6
Celebratory post!
Yesss! Hang on to this feeling and turn it into motivation to get you through the HSC. The feeling of success, I find, is very addictive, so remember this moment so you can strive to have it again! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 05:04:52 pm »
+10
Atar Notes reminded me today that there is only 50 days left until the HSC!! I wasn't ready to be reminded of this (I didn't really realise that it was so soon). I'm kinda excited, happy and nervous.
Just had another quick look at my exam timetable and it's not fantastic (4 exams in the second week  :'( ), although it is a lot nicer then trials:

I had my school musical on Friday and Saturday. The singing was really good as everybody had been practicing for the majority of the year. When I wasn't playing, I had a great seat to watch the musical from the orchestra pit. I've had the songs stuck in my head all day today!
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 05:41:44 pm »
+4
Atar Notes reminded me today that there is only 50 days left until the HSC!! I wasn't ready to be reminded of this (I didn't really realise that it was so soon). I'm kinda excited, happy and nervous.

I was behind that post and the email... Sorry to be a buzzkill ;)

I had my school musical on Friday and Saturday. The singing was really good as everybody had been practicing for the majority of the year. When I wasn't playing, I had a great seat to watch the musical from the orchestra pit. I've had the songs stuck in my head all day today!

So glad it went well for you all! ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2017, 05:45:16 pm »
+4
Atar Notes reminded me today that there is only 50 days left until the HSC!! I wasn't ready to be reminded of this (I didn't really realise that it was so soon).
Jamon loves scaring people

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2017, 05:55:51 pm »
+4
I was behind that post and the email... Sorry to be a buzzkill ;)
So glad it went well for you all! ;D
I saw it on Facebook, and then Instagram, email and the AN post.
I needed to know, though. Thanks  :)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 06:42:48 pm »
+6
29/8/17
- We had a year meeting in the morning to talk about UAC applications and how to apply. We also had someone from Western Sydney uni to talk to us (it is the closest uni to my school). Although I don't want to go to Western Sydney uni, it looked like it had some good facilities and the talk brought up some new ideas. I also decided to research some scholarships that night and may apply for some soon (once I actually decide what courses to study) although I'm unsure of if I would actually get any.
- My English teacher has started doing classes for us doing sport (as we don't have to do sport anymore) and it was really good/productive. We broke down an essay question on Hamlet and worked on starting an intro for it. I'm going to try and get this essay done soonish.

30/8/17
This is my longest school days of the week (8:30-5:15) because of extension. Normally my school has 6 periods a day that are 53 minutes long and also has an A and a B week. Wednesday is probably my favourite day this week because I have double Ancient, extension, music and no English. 
Legal (double period):
We had a police prosecutor come to talk to us about domestic violence. This links with both the family and crime topics and was really interesting (although also some of the cases she described were sad). She also went through how the topic relates to the themes and challenges section of the course which was really good for our essay writing. People also were able to ask questions and I got to write about 4 pages of notes.

Ancient (double period):
We’re studying Agrippina at the moment and are about halfway through the third main dot point (Career). We got through a lot of content today. We covered her marriage to Claudius, when she promoted Nero over Britannicus, honours/titles, image/status, removal of perceived threats and historians interpretations of her (including if she murdered Claudius). I’m almost sick of Powerpoints at the moment though (it’s all we’ve done in Ancient all year).

Lunch:
I had a meeting with our principal today which went for around 15 minutes. He’s been doing meetings with everybody in my year throughout this year. I think that there’s not a lot of point now though-it was helpful but may have been better earlier on in the year (as one of the questions was how the school could help us which isn’t too useful now as we only have 3 weeks). I ended up answering ‘I don’t know’ to about three of his questions.

Music:
Practice, practice,practice
I had to cut about a minute from two of my pieces (which was just less than a page). I still find the cuts a bit weird because I'm not used to them and I'm so annoyed that I had to cut so much because I had practiced it heaps.

Maths:
We had a catch up lesson today, however I was pretty unproductive (and tired for some reason). We have almost finished our last topic (non-linear functions-mainly graphs) so we should have a lot of lessons to revise before the term ends.

Extension history:
We studied the concept of Big History today, which looks at the history of the world from the Big Bang (and goes to the future). It's a newer concept but is supported by John Green and Bill Gates. It was really interesting but included a lot of science stuff (and I'm not really into science). We then did some exam skills and looked at finding the main ideas from sources. By the end of the class we were really tired and our conversations were getting off track.

Really excited to see some of you guys at the UNSW open day!! :D
Realised that this is actually really long-well, I guess I'll blame my procrastination, but it's fun to be able to write.:)

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 06:50:47 pm »
+4
29/8/17
- We had a year meeting in the morning to talk about UAC applications and how to apply. We also had someone from Western Sydney uni to talk to us (it is the closest uni to my school). Although I don't want to go to Western Sydney uni, it looked like it had some good facilities and the talk brought up some new ideas. I also decided to research some scholarships that night and may apply for some soon (once I actually decide what courses to study) although I'm unsure of if I would actually get any.
- My English teacher has started doing classes for us doing sport (as we don't have to do sport anymore) and it was really good/productive. We broke down an essay question on Hamlet and worked on starting an intro for it. I'm going to try and get this essay done soonish.

30/8/17
This is my longest school days of the week (8:30-5:15) because of extension. Normally my school has 6 periods a day that are 53 minutes long and also has an A and a B week. Wednesday is probably my favourite day this week because I have double Ancient, extension, music and no English. 
Legal (double period):
We had a police prosecutor come to talk to us about domestic violence. This links with both the family and crime topics and was really interesting (although also some of the cases she described were sad). She also went through how the topic relates to the themes and challenges section of the course which was really good for our essay writing. People also were able to ask questions and I got to write about 4 pages of notes.

Ancient (double period):
We’re studying Agrippina at the moment and are about halfway through the third main dot point (Career). We got through a lot of content today. We covered her marriage to Claudius, when she promoted Nero over Britannicus, honours/titles, image/status, removal of perceived threats and historians interpretations of her (including if she murdered Claudius). I’m almost sick of Powerpoints at the moment though (it’s all we’ve done in Ancient all year).

Lunch:
I had a meeting with our principal today which went for around 15 minutes. He’s been doing meetings with everybody in my year throughout this year. I think that there’s not a lot of point now though-it was helpful but may have been better earlier on in the year (as one of the questions was how the school could help us which isn’t too useful now as we only have 3 weeks). I ended up answering ‘I don’t know’ to about three of his questions.

Music:
Practice, practice,practice
I had to cut about a minute from two of my pieces (which was just less than a page). I still find the cuts a bit weird because I'm not used to them and I'm so annoyed that I had to cut so much because I had practiced it heaps.

Maths:
We had a catch up lesson today, however I was pretty unproductive (and tired for some reason). We have almost finished our last topic (non-linear functions-mainly graphs) so we should have a lot of lessons to revise before the term ends.

Extension history:
We studied the concept of Big History today, which looks at the history of the world from the Big Bang (and goes to the future). It's a newer concept but is supported by John Green and Bill Gates. It was really interesting but included a lot of science stuff (and I'm not really into science). We then did some exam skills and looked at finding the main ideas from sources. By the end of the class we were really tired and our conversations were getting off track.

Really excited to see some of you guys at the UNSW open day!! :D
Realised that this is actually really long-well, I guess I'll blame my procrastination, but it's fun to be able to write.:)

Definitely apply for them! You never know :D

Dearie me. Nearly 9 hours at school o.0 The busiest day I have is 5 periods, and the least busiest has 2 :B

So excited for this Sat as well! We should set a time and place to meet :)
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2017, 07:03:02 pm »
+4
Definitely apply for them! You never know :D

Dearie me. Nearly 9 hours at school o.0 The busiest day I have is 5 periods, and the least busiest has 2 :B

So excited for this Sat as well! We should set a time and place to meet :)
Thanks, I think I may apply for some but i'm not too sure yet.
Yeah, it's a really long day. How long are your school periods? I would love to have a 2 period day! I don't have any study periods either, but don't think I would be productive during them.
I'm actually thinking of skipping one of my musical performances for the open day (was really conflicted when I realised they were on the same day). My school does six performances so I think it should be ok if I miss one (theres another clarinet in the orchestra as well). However, i'm not too sure how my music teacher (also orchestra conductor) would react. Need to tell her tomorrow.
We should definitely set a time and place for all the AN people to meet. Would love to see everybody! :D

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 07:22:36 pm »
+2
Thanks, I think I may apply for some but i'm not too sure yet.
Yeah, it's a really long day. How long are your school periods? I would love to have a 2 period day! I don't have any study periods either, but don't think I would be productive during them.
I'm actually thinking of skipping one of my musical performances for the open day (was really conflicted when I realised they were on the same day). My school does six performances so I think it should be ok if I miss one (theres another clarinet in the orchestra as well). However, i'm not too sure how my music teacher (also orchestra conductor) would react. Need to tell her tomorrow.
We should definitely set a time and place for all the AN people to meet. Would love to see everybody! :D

One period is 65 mins long :) I'm sure she won't react too badly!

WOOHOO!!! I think we should meet afterwards around 4 :)
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2017, 06:37:04 pm »
+6
2/9/17
I woke up early to take an 8am train to the city to go to the UNSW open day. I ended up leaving Central from the wrong exit and got completely lost trying to find my way to the bus (It wasn't even that hard but I was blindly following google maps and it led me on a one hour detour which left me pretty stressed). There was such a huge line up for the free bus from Central as well. By the time I actually made my way to the uni it was 10:30 and I missed the history lecture.

It was really informative and I got to ask questions about the courses that I am looking at. Except one of my major questions about teaching, the guy couldn't answer (and the head wasn't there) which was slightly annoying. I also went to some of the music lectures and they had a course overview which helped me know the structure and what is in the course. However, it really didn't clear up what courses I want to do next year-in a way i'd like to be able to do three courses in depth (music, history and teaching) which just isn't possible. I'm going to have to choose what to do (and what to leave out) soon.

Probably the best part of the open day was being able to meet some amazingly friendly people from AN (fantasticbeasts3, Jess, Rui, and E6P). I seriously can't wait until we have a state AN meet-up because I want to be able meet more of you! :D

My school musical finally finished last night. I think that it was probably the best show as everybody had heaps of energy and was so excited on the stage. Its a bit sad to be finished but in a way i'm sick of the songs. My siblings were at the after party for the musical until 11:30 so I didn't get to go home until about 12:15ish (so I had a huge sleep in this morning).

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2017, 09:54:45 pm »
+4
My school musical finally finished last night. I think that it was probably the best show as everybody had heaps of energy and was so excited on the stage. Its a bit sad to be finished but in a way i'm sick of the songs. My siblings were at the after party for the musical until 11:30 so I didn't get to go home until about 12:15ish (so I had a huge sleep in this morning).

Congrats on finishing the musical!! And sounds like UNSW Open Day was very informative - Don't worry, still plenty of time to figure out the answers to those niggling questions :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2017, 04:56:14 pm »
+4
Probably the best part of the open day was being able to meet some amazingly friendly people from AN (fantasticbeasts3, Jess, Rui, and E6P). I seriously can't wait until we have a state AN meet-up because I want to be able meet more of you! :D

It must go national!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2017, 05:04:03 pm »
+4
It must go national!
Yep! This needs to happen sometime soon! (You guys are the first bunch of people that I've seriously wanted to go interstate to meet :D ).