Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:09:32 am

Author Topic: English Adv: Tips for hook, interpreting question first sentence.  (Read 1536 times)

fillycheese

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Hi all,
I struggle a lot to come up with the "hook"/interpretation of the question in my essays, especially in the stressful exam situation. I'm talking not about the thesis (although any tips on that would be appreciated too haha) but about the first sentence of an essay if that makes sense.

Does anyone have any tips or methods they use do so this quickly as to sound sophisticated while writing?

Thanks  :)

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
Re: English Adv: Tips for hook, interpreting question first sentence.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 01:16:39 pm »
Hi all,
I struggle a lot to come up with the "hook"/interpretation of the question in my essays, especially in the stressful exam situation. I'm talking not about the thesis (although any tips on that would be appreciated too haha) but about the first sentence of an essay if that makes sense.

Does anyone have any tips or methods they use do so this quickly as to sound sophisticated while writing?

Thanks  :)

Hey fillycheese!

Some ways to hook your first sentence could be to add some sophisticated and high level words. Also, you could add context about the time period it was written and incorporate it with that first sentence. Furthermore, you could argue for or against the question by starting off like, "It can be argued that.....".??

I hope this helps and goodluck with your exams!

Coolmate  8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 11:16:19 pm »
+1
Hey fillycheese,

I have just come across this website and could be of some use?

Just remember; whatever essay you are instructed to write check whether or not it is a discursive or persuasive essay or another type of essay

https://bid4papers.com/blog/hook-for-essay/

Hope this helps!

Coolmate  8)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 11:21:16 pm by Coolmate »
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

fillycheese

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 01:59:39 pm »
+1
Thanks Coolmate! Really appreciate it :D