Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:27:08 am

Author Topic: Studying a Language alongside Commerce at Monash  (Read 1020 times)  Share 

-elcee

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
Studying a Language alongside Commerce at Monash
« on: December 15, 2017, 12:37:23 pm »
Hey all,
So ATARs were released today; and I'm thinking of doing Commerce at Monash. However, if I wanted to study a language alongside that degree, would I have to pick up Arts too? Or is it just considered an elective and I can study it alongside my sole Bachelor of Commerce degree ?

To be specific; I'm thinking of doing  ATS1061 - French introductory 1

Also : https://www.monash.edu/study/courses/find-a-course/2018/commerce-b2001
If that says the Monash guarantee is 86; and I do fulfil that requirement; is it guaranteed that I will get into the course next year ? In the physical hardcopy of the Monash undergraduate courses it says that is indicative of the entry for 2017; so I'm not sure whether it will be higher next year or not...

Thank you !

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
Re: Studying a Language alongside Commerce at Monash
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 01:27:18 pm »
+3
First of all, congratulations on finishing VCE!

You are able to take language units in the free elective spaces, you don't have to be doing a double degree with Arts. If you want to take it first year though, you would have to do some reorganising of the unit structure - same thing goes for if you want to major in it too (don't take my word for it though, I believe you'll be able to talk to appropriate staff if you do end up attending Monash).

If you received confirmation that you are eligible for the Monash Guarantee through email, yes! As far as I know, if you're eligible and meet the listed guarantee ATAR (and meet prerequisites), you are guaranteed a spot. I think the indicative ATARS in the physical book may be referring to the non-guarantee ATAR requirements.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 01:33:24 pm by www »
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (:

-elcee

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 02:08:58 pm »
First of all, congratulations on finishing VCE!

You are able to take language units in the free elective spaces, you don't have to be doing a double degree with Arts. If you want to take it first year though, you would have to do some reorganising of the unit structure - same thing goes for if you want to major in it too (don't take my word for it though, I believe you'll be able to talk to appropriate staff if you do end up attending Monash).

If you received confirmation that you are eligible for the Monash Guarantee through email, yes! As far as I know, if you're eligible and meet the listed guarantee ATAR (and meet prerequisites), you are guaranteed a spot. I think the indicative ATARS in the physical book may be referring to the non-guarantee ATAR requirements.

Ahhhh, thank you so much, you've really made my day !

extremeftw

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 05:16:27 pm »
+2
 You could also look into doing a Diploma of Languages if you wanted to use your commerce electives on something else (would add a year to your studies).