Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:28:03 pm

Author Topic: Economics or Accounting?  (Read 9738 times)  Share 

cricketer12345

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Economics or Accounting?
« on: August 10, 2017, 06:24:25 pm »
+1
Hi All!

Im currently in year 10, but these are the subjects i want to complete in year 12:
Bio
Methods
Further
English language
Chem

But im stuck on the last one. I am thinking economics or accounting but cant choose. I really enjoy maths, but im also strong in english and science.

i hope to head into a career in health/medicine if that helps.

All suggestions and opinions are appreciated. Thanks!  :) :)

brady_price

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +17
Re: Economics or Accounting?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 06:55:06 pm »
+3
I thoroughly enjoyed 3/4 economics, if you have an interest in business or politics it is definitely a great subject to take; really relevant to the real world and handy for discussions. It is, however, probably the hardest business subject out there, with a really competitive cohort, so that is something to keep in mind. As for accounting I hear mixed reviews, but can't speak from experience. Good luck with the decision!

rocksonchan

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 07:02:43 pm »
+4
Economics was my favourite subject, would highly recommend, very applicable to daily life! As for accounting, it is a good but less interesting subject, but many people do really well in accounting, whereas economics is more difficult in my opinion. If you are considering doing Bachelor of Commerce, both subjects will come in handy for your first year units!!

Good luck :)

jameslaven

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 08:11:29 pm »
+4
I'm currently compleing Year 11 and am doing both 3/4 Economics and 1/2 Accounting. 3/4 Economics is my favourite subject, as it is just so interesting and is quite applicable to the real world, along with it requiring a fair knowledge of current events and some deep thinking. However it is competitive and I have found the workload to be substantial at times. Accounting on the other hand is good, but nowhere near as interesting as Economics. Accounting I find is more process based and with either a right or a wrong answer. Either way you choose you'll be picking up a good subject.

Good luck!!
2017 - Economics (43)
2018 - English (41), HHD (43), Global Politics (35), Accounting (35), Legal (36).

jameslaven

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 08:50:10 am »
+3
Yeah, you're correct, accounting is more maths and process based whereas your economics will be more English focused, with most of the marks from short answer questions. The maths you do in accounting though is very basic/easy so I would probably say that you wouldn't find it too hard or full on, especially if you enjoy maths.

As for the competitiveness for Economics, I am averaging 97% in my SAC's and am still only 1.5 marks ahead of second place.....
2017 - Economics (43)
2018 - English (41), HHD (43), Global Politics (35), Accounting (35), Legal (36).

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 11:19:41 am »
+4
Hi All!

Im currently in year 10, but these are the subjects i want to complete in year 12:
Bio
Methods
Further
English language
Chem

But im stuck on the last one. I am thinking economics or accounting but cant choose. I really enjoy maths, but im also strong in english and science.

i hope to head into a career in health/medicine if that helps.

All suggestions and opinions are appreciated. Thanks!  :) :)

Hey man! How are you feeling for VCE next year? Do you have exams coming up? :)

That looks like a great mix to me. Are you planning on completing a 3/4 in Year 11? (If not, I'd recommend it. If nothing else, this will lighten the load for you in Year 12.)

I know practically nothing about Economics and Accounting, so definitely not much help on that side of things. Just wanted to mention the above, though - from those subjects, Further looks like the best option to me to get under your belt in 2018. :)

Welcome to the forums! Looking forward to seeing you around. :))

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

brady_price

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 12:03:01 pm »
+5
Economics definitely has a heavier english-style workload, lots of short answer questions which require a LOT of writing. This said, they aren't looking for you to show case english skills, more just being able to directly showcase your knowledge. Definitely a bit of maths in accounting, so if you feel like you'll be overwhelmed by too much math probably steer clear. In terms of marks, economics is seriously a VERY tough subject to do well in. I was rank 1 in my cohort with an average of 95% and got an A on the exam and ended up with a 38 scaled to a 40. Incredibly competitive. But if you're willing to put in the work it's a subject that can really pay off, and as Rockson said it'll set you up well for any commerce type subjects you do if you head that way. I'm doing arts and it is even helping me out. Good luck! :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 12:32:00 pm »
+3
Thanks mate!
Im feeling confident about next year! Just finished exams but they were only year 10 ones so they dont matter a whole lot, and my next set are the end of this year.

Ive chosen do bio as my year 11 3/4 so im hoping that i can get a good mark for that!

Thanks  :) :)

No issue at all! Looks like there's some really good advice in this thread for the more subject-specific stuff. :)

How did your exams go?

Bio 3/4 also sounds like a great choice. There are some tops Bio resources floating around on the forums, too - let me know if you need a hand finding them. :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 12:54:05 pm »
+3
Yeah there is some great advice!

I got 100 in english (top of the year level) 85 in advanced math, 87 in science (top of the year level), 90 in history, 81 in bio 1/2 (83 was the top of the year level)  and 97 in religion and society.

And i have found the bio resources, Thanks!  :) :)

Incredible results! Congratulations - looks like you're really well placed. :)

Mr West

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 04:45:29 pm »
+1
Wow! some great advice here!! im thinking of similar subjects!!

Yueni

• Trailblazer
  • One's foe is your friend.
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 11:54:15 pm »
+3
I can weigh in from a different perspective.

I never did high school economics, but from a purely academic standpoint (meaning all enjoyment and other factors about the subject are disregarded), accounting is by far one of the highest fail rate subjects in university. If you plan to do any Commerce of Business course in tertiary education. I recommend accounting as a subject as it is the most difficult to start off (For some sort of evidence, introductory accounting at Monash has a roughly 33% fail rate). Economics deals with things that are certainly more interesting and are also compulsory for all major Commerce units (Only the micro side for Monash which inst a major part for VCE economics.)

All in all, from a purely unbiased stand point I can recommend both for different reasons and if you plan to pursue Commerce, you will eventually do both.

Accounting is harder to get started from behind (In university), economics is generally considered more interesting. 

extremeftw

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 02:11:44 am »
+1
 VCE economics is somewhat far removed from uni economics, so keep that in mind.  VCE is more policy/short response focused whilst university emphasises mathematics and graphical analysis. Still, if you're interested in economics or politics then you should look into doing VCE economics.

Dragan_G

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 10:34:38 am »
I'm currently doing both subjects and I thoroughly enjoy economics. For me at least, accounting is a draining subject and the content itself is quite dry. As for economics, I find it enjoyable as the stuff you learn applies to the real world and is quite interesting.

That being said, whatever you choose to do, make sure you familiarise yourself with and focus on rankings and exam grade distributions.

Abigail . Selvadurai.

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 12:02:23 pm »
Hi
I  completed 3&4 Accounting last year ,i  found it quite easy to pick up having done 1&2. It easy once you understand the concepts ,it is more practical.
I am currently doing 3&4 economics it is more interesting than accounting.
Both subjects go hand in hand for me i  am going to do commerce/education. i  will major in accounting and economics
Economics is worth all of the hard work and is my favourite next to business management.
 :)

Kmenez

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 02:20:44 pm »
Hey bro im like in the exact same predicament as you were last year. When i say exact i mean like the same, im good at maths, english and Science like you were and having trouble subject selecting. Probably wont see this but wanted to know how u went and what you liked/ disliked with the subjects. Also want to do something in health and medical field.
Thanks