Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:04:43 am

Author Topic: Can anyone tell me about the structure of Dr Perera's 3/4 bio classes?  (Read 3367 times)  Share 

PopcornTime

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +10
Was wondering if anyone could tell me about the structure of Dr Perera's 3/4 bio classes? Does he answer questions first before moving onto concepts? Or are there tests conducted each lesson?

Anything about his classes would be great!

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 05:13:04 pm by PopcornTime »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Can anyone tell me about the structure of Dr Perera's 3/4 bio classes?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 04:00:42 pm »
+3
I went 2 years ago (2015) so some things may have changed (although doubt it since he has been doing it for something like 20 years)

To answer your questions he doesn't exactly have a designated question period but he is happy to take any questions at any time relating to the current concept. I would think if it is something that he has already covered or not yet covered you will have to ask him during the before or after the class or even during the breaks.

There was no weekly tests although I think there was homework for each topic when I did it and in the month leading up to the exam he had short tests (self assesed/peer assesed) which were pretty difficult often 1st/2nd year uni level (not unexpected since he often taught beyond the scope fo the course for good context). Getting 70-90% was a good result on those.

The lessons are definitely a chore but enjoyable when not sleep deprived (4 hours long with a 20-30 minute break) mine was at 8am so RIP but 100% worth it. Don't think you can find a better Biology teacher in victoria. Generally he would deliver content for 2 hours and give a break then another 1.5 hours. He will give out notes out for each topic (best vce notes I've ever used albeit including a lot of uni stuff) and then basically go through the content. However not only does he teach you the content better than any actual VCE biology teacher he teaches you how to learn in general which I found helpful for year 12 (did 3/4 bio in year 11) aswell - even unviersity.

PopcornTime

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 04:51:53 pm »
I went 2 years ago (2015) so some things may have changed (although doubt it since he has been doing it for something like 20 years)

To answer your questions he doesn't exactly have a designated question period but he is happy to take any questions at any time relating to the current concept. I would think if it is something that he has already covered or not yet covered you will have to ask him during the before or after the class or even during the breaks.

There was no weekly tests although I think there was homework for each topic when I did it and in the month leading up to the exam he had short tests (self assesed/peer assesed) which were pretty difficult often 1st/2nd year uni level (not unexpected since he often taught beyond the scope fo the course for good context). Getting 70-90% was a good result on those.

The lessons are definitely a chore but enjoyable when not sleep deprived (4 hours long with a 20-30 minute break) mine was at 8am so RIP but 100% worth it. Don't think you can find a better Biology teacher in victoria. Generally he would deliver content for 2 hours and give a break then another 1.5 hours. He will give out notes out for each topic (best vce notes I've ever used albeit including a lot of uni stuff) and then basically go through the content. However not only does he teach you the content better than any actual VCE biology teacher he teaches you how to learn in general which I found helpful for year 12 (did 3/4 bio in year 11) aswell - even unviersity.

Thanks mate! Just a couple questions based on the notes:

1. Would you remember if his notes are on the dot points in the study design (with the uni level stuff)?
2. Does he give out whole year notes or pieces of notes relevant to the topics covered?

Thanks again!

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 05:12:45 pm by PopcornTime »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 05:26:26 pm »
Thanks mate! Just a couple questions based on the notes:

1. Would you remember if his notes are on the dot points in the study design (with the uni level stuff)?
2. Does he give out whole year notes or pieces of notes relevant to the topics covered?

Thanks again!

nah definitely some/lot of the stuff in the notes and taught is well beyond the scope of vce some of the stuff I'm re-learning in first year uni.  Although still may come up in some form on the exam. e.g. a scenario type question

He gives out notes per topic and probably wouldn't have printed out the whole years notes at the beginning.

hope this helps let me know if you needed anything else