Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:24:47 am

Author Topic: Victoria Uni: first year students completing units one by one  (Read 1022 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
+4
Was just reading this.

Basically, first year students at Victoria University won't be completing four units at once, which seems to be the norm. Instead, they'll complete units one by one (so, not simultaneously).

Quote from: The Weekly Times
This will allow them to fully immerse themselves in a single topic and learn through discussion and peer interaction. They will also get to know and be known by their teachers, receive support from a multidimensional team, obtain regular, immediate feedback, and develop a sense of early achievement.

Pretty interesting IMO. I'm honestly not sure if I would have preferred this or not. I can see how some students would benefit from such an approach, though.

It certainly made me think about the current university structure we all know and love (or not). Anybody have any thoughts on this? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Victoria Uni: first year students completing units one by one
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 06:52:50 pm »
+4
This is interesting, and I would have liked more detail in the article - it's left me a bit confused.

Will they be moving to a model similar to med and physio at Monash, where you study one integrated unit per semester? If so, I like this model. You're getting the same amount of credit points as you would doing 4 units, but it's all just in one - for me, this model means a few less assessments, more continuity, and a greater sense of community between students, so I like it.

Or does it mean the traditional unit? If it was this, would that not add considerable time to the years it'll take to complete the degree, and would it not mean that you're not even doing full-time hours? 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Victoria Uni: first year students completing units one by one
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 07:00:31 pm »
+2
This is interesting, and I would have liked more detail in the article - it's left me a bit confused.

Will they be moving to a model similar to med and physio at Monash, where you study one integrated unit per semester? If so, I like this model. You're getting the same amount of credit points as you would doing 4 units, but it's all just in one - for me, this model means a few less assessments, more continuity, and a greater sense of community between students, so I like it.

Or does it mean the traditional unit? If it was this, would that not add considerable time to the years it'll take to complete the degree, and would it not mean that you're not even doing full-time hours? 

Perhaps it's the case that units would be, say, three weeks long? Having not thought too deeply about it, I actually don't mind that idea at all.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.