Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:13:50 pm

Author Topic: Need help on Module A essay question  (Read 1223 times)

AuroraKTA

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Need help on Module A essay question
« on: June 16, 2020, 09:29:30 am »
How does Margaret Atwood use the novel form in Hag-Seed to reframe The Tempest?  I was wondering how I could approach this question since I based most of my notes on themes rather than form.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Need help on Module A essay question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 01:25:45 pm »
+3
How does Margaret Atwood use the novel form in Hag-Seed to reframe The Tempest?  I was wondering how I could approach this question since I based most of my notes on themes rather than form.

Hey, AuroraKTA!

Welcome to the forums! You can definitely still approach this question with a thematic focus. Although it's asking for the novel form, you would just need to make sure you have genre conventions and other features of the novel form in mind when responding to the question in your paragraphs. For example, you could structure it thematically like this and within the paragraphs, have a specific form feature that was used (along with supporting techniques within it) to represent these ideas;

Body 1 Revenge- The Tempest + Hag-Seed (focus on characterisation, with Prospero and Felix, in particular, embodying this theme)
Body 2 Reconciliation- The Tempest + Hag-Seed (focus on setting and how over the course of both texts, place is significant to facilitating important interactions between characters)
Body 3 Legacy- The Tempest + Hag-Seed (focus on narration and metatheatre, looking at the idea of the arts presenting composers with an avenue to achieve immortality)

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

kiwibirdau

• MOTM: Feb 20
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
Re: Need help on Module A essay question
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 02:59:53 pm »
+2
Hey, AuroraKTA!

In my opinion, the essay would still be thematically structured - as it is the most logical method to address the aspect of "reframing" a text. However, the use of "novel form" or for a fact if any question had a technique (e.g. intertextuality, allusions etc) - you just needs you to focus on a particular sub-set of techniques as you analyse The Tempest and Hag-Seed, this includes (for your question):

- Free Indirect Discourse (allows us to see the compartmentalisation of Felix's mind - and how he copes with grief, humiliation and revenge --> something which Tempest wasn't able to effectively do).
- Greater visual imagery, use of metaphors, allusions, chapters, epilogue and prologues - that aren't restricted by a dramatic form - it allows Shakespeare's story to be opened for interpretation by audiences and the simplistic stage direction of The Tempest, is in some ways "revolutionised" by Atwood's transition to a novel.

You can find many more form-related techniques that make the novel the most appropriate method to disseminate to the masses, especially for a modern audience, as that's the form that we consume information (compared to Shakespeare - which were largely drama/plays).

angewina_naguen brought up some very good points, I would just add to make sure you show similarities and differences to have a more holistic analysis for each technique/concept. The main thing you need to really achieve is why Atwood made these changes - some are just pragmatic but others ideological and contextual. Good Luck! :)
HSC 2020
Work smart, not hard.