Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 04:39:50 pm

Author Topic: HELP! Textual Comparison for Advanced English  (Read 806 times)

neha.singh4

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
HELP! Textual Comparison for Advanced English
« on: June 08, 2020, 07:12:39 pm »
Hello. So currently in school we are studying the Shakespearean text- 'Othello' and have a small class task regarding the comparison of Othello to another modern contemporary text. At the moment, I'm struggling to find some interesting pieces to draw similarities from. What poems, films, novels or songs would be appropriate as a comparison for a contemporary text?

Also any good recommendations for multi-modal presentation websites or apps for video making (preferably free)!

:D :D

Einstein_Reborn_97

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Regular
  • There is no substitute for hard work.
  • Respect: +44
Re: HELP! Textual Comparison for Advanced English
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 08:46:05 pm »
+2
Hello. So currently in school we are studying the Shakespearean text- 'Othello' and have a small class task regarding the comparison of Othello to another modern contemporary text. At the moment, I'm struggling to find some interesting pieces to draw similarities from. What poems, films, novels or songs would be appropriate as a comparison for a contemporary text?

Also any good recommendations for multi-modal presentation websites or apps for video making (preferably free)!

:D :D
Hi neha,

Honestly, the only thing I can think of is the 1995 film adaption of the play (also called Othello). You can find some analysis and reviews of it online. Apart from that, I don't really know - I didn't have this type of task when I did Othello.

As for multimodal presentation websites, I don't know if I'm old-fashioned for saying this but Google Slides or Microsoft PowerPoint would work just fine for a "small class task". You could choose to make a video about it, I'd recommend WeVideo (https://www.wevideo.com/) because it's the only one I've used before (and yes, it's free). There could be better options that I don't know about.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, hope it helps. ;)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 08:48:55 pm by Einstein_Reborn_97 »
HSC 2020: Advanced English | Advanced Mathematics | Physics | Chemistry | Biology | Studies of Religion 2

My HSC Journey Journal

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 09:01:45 pm »
+2
apps for video making (preferably free)!

Just adding onto what Einstein_Reborn_97 said, another suggestion for software that you could use is "Filmora", as a video editing/making software. There is a free version, but a downside to this is if you create and export a video, it has a watermark that takes up a third of the screen.

Hope this helps!
Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 09:21:58 pm by Coolmate »
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 11:20:15 pm »
+2
Hey, neha.singh4!

The above posts have some amazing suggestions already but I thought I'd add some ideas to help out! A good related text needs to have themes that align with the prescribed text. These include jealousy, racism, manipulation, loyalty, gender and legacy. It'd be hard to give you an exact list of all the possible options you could do in comparison with Othello but I would really recommend O which a film appropriation of the play! Another great film I can think of is The Blind Side (the sports films seem to be a bit of a recurring theme here  ::) )

Not so much for video making but if you want to have some aesthetic slides to work with in your presentation, Canva has some gorgeous templates that have saved me whenever I'm in pickle  ;D If you have to record your presentation, I would also recommend Loom which allows you to not only have screen capture, but also a little bubble for your face to appear in it as well. It has a seven day trial for free so only download it when you are thinking of recording  ;) Hope that helps and do let us know what text you end up choosing for the assessment!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music