Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:42:38 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3571368 times)  Share 

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #6825 on: October 28, 2015, 04:29:10 pm »
The answer is A.

I dont't understand why, could someone please help?
When the sensory hair is stimulated it simulates the sensory neuron which further stimulates the motor neuron(indicated by the +) and then again stimulates the retractor (effector) muscles(+) resulting in the retraction of the eyestalk. Additionally the inhibitory neuron is not stimulated thus it has not impact in this particular instance.

EDIT: beaten by cosine

Is it just me or are all questions on cultural and technological evolution are so ambiguous? (any tips for these q's)

Jay.C

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #6826 on: October 28, 2015, 06:18:13 pm »
+1
Could some one please show me how to do a dihybrid cross between two genes that are linked! Just realised I have never done one!  :)
Don't worry about scores that you can't change  because there are so many more productive things you could do

Looking for customisable high school tuition that fits your needs? Or maybe you're just looking for some help with a specific concept that doesn't require frequent tuition. Component Education has something to fit all students needs! https://www.facebook.com/componenteducation/ https://www.componenteducation.com.au/

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #6827 on: October 29, 2015, 09:18:56 am »
Someone please help me with the dot points from the study design. Just test yourself too and help me, benefits both of us.. Can you just write the most you know about the attached dot points, i struggle with this area.

Cheers.
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

Jay.C

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #6828 on: October 29, 2015, 09:34:32 am »
+1
Someone please help me with the dot points from the study design. Just test yourself too and help me, benefits both of us.. Can you just write the most you know about the attached dot points, i struggle with this area.

Cheers.

Alright ill try writing out what I know about this dot point.
- We know that characteristics relating to primates are: forward facing eyes, 5 digits on hands with opposable thumbs, flat nails at the end of digits and large cranium size.
- We know the hominins are humans and there closely related bipedal ancestors.
- We know that hominoids refers to all apes.
- So major trends we see are; cranium size getting larger, teeth getting smaller and reduced brow ridge.
- Increase in cranium size has aloud for more complex thought processes to evolve which in turn has aloud technological evolution to evolve at a faster rate. e.g. because of more complex thought behaviours we were able to cook food, and thus using technology we were able to exercise greater control over our environment.
- Cultural evolution has been impacted to by larger cranium size, it has aloud for us to develop morals and values and new ideas and concepts. e.g. scientific theories.

I hope that was helpful, that's all I know, I defiantly struggled with that part of the study design too.  :)
Don't worry about scores that you can't change  because there are so many more productive things you could do

Looking for customisable high school tuition that fits your needs? Or maybe you're just looking for some help with a specific concept that doesn't require frequent tuition. Component Education has something to fit all students needs! https://www.facebook.com/componenteducation/ https://www.componenteducation.com.au/

paper-back

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "I must govern the clock, not be governed by it"
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #6829 on: October 29, 2015, 09:43:49 am »
When asked to describe cellular respiration, should we incorporate the intermediate stage as a part of the Krebs cycle? (So I'd just say the pyruvate molecule undergoes a series of net exergonic reactions in the Krebs cycle releasing 3CO2 and allowing for the formation of 3NADH and 1FADH2 + 1ATP per pyruvate, instead of referring to the fact that it gets converted to form an Acetyl-coA before?)

Can Identical twins be distinguished through DNA fingerprinting? If not how are they distinguished between?

For fossils is this definition sufficient?: Any impression or direct preserved evidence that indicates the existence of an organism from a past geographic age

Elizawei

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #6830 on: October 29, 2015, 10:03:26 am »
[Insight 2011 Unit 3 paper]

Is this right? I never thought that you can only acquire immunity until the third administration of the vaccine??????  :o
ATAR: 99.70
2017-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2020-2023: Melbourne MD

Founder of Folding Our Futures
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Offering  Chemistry/Bio 3/4 tutoring for 2019! [raw 49, 47] PM me if interested :)

paper-back

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6831 on: October 29, 2015, 10:20:42 am »

Cheers.

Just testing myself as-well (Please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere):

Trends in evolution:
- Increase in cranial capacity
- Development of opposable thumb (Precision grip) - greater dexterity
- Big toe becomes more parallel to other toes - I think this allows for more balance during bipedal locomotion?
- Foramen magnum moves more towards centre - indicating bipedal locomotion
- Jaw become more parabolic
- Arm to leg ratio decreases

Some more stuff here:

Cultural evolution does not effect the gene pool of a species
Cultural evolution correlates with the development of the broca area of the brain, and therefore development of speech allowing for idea's to be able to be passed down through generations
Evidence for cultural evolution includes:
Technological evolution - development of tools
Funerals

This picture compares cultural and biological evolution:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 10:23:41 am by paper-back »

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #6832 on: October 29, 2015, 10:28:16 am »
When asked to describe cellular respiration, should we incorporate the intermediate stage as a part of the Krebs cycle? (So I'd just say the pyruvate molecule undergoes a series of net exergonic reactions in the Krebs cycle releasing 3CO2 and allowing for the formation of 3NADH and 1FADH2 + 1ATP per pyruvate, instead of referring to the fact that it gets converted to form an Acetyl-coA before?)

Can Identical twins be distinguished through DNA fingerprinting? If not how are they distinguished between?

For fossils is this definition sufficient?: Any impression or direct preserved evidence that indicates the existence of an organism from a past geographic age

Don't worry about DNA fingerprinting - that isn't in the study design. As for DNA profiling, you cannot tell the difference between identical twins - and that's one limitation of DNA testing.
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #6833 on: October 29, 2015, 10:44:47 am »
Don't worry about DNA fingerprinting - that isn't in the study design. As for DNA profiling, you cannot tell the difference between identical twins - and that's one limitation of DNA testing.

Thanks guys for the help!

@Thushan, but wouldn't each twin accumulate different mutations? Like maybe in their early stages two twins would be identical, but overtime would they not accumulate different mutations, and doesn't environmental factors affect their phenotypes? 
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

Bruzzix

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
  • School: FCCC
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #6834 on: October 29, 2015, 10:56:17 am »

@Thushan, but wouldn't each twin accumulate different mutations? Like maybe in their early stages two twins would be identical, but overtime would they not accumulate different mutations, and doesn't environmental factors affect their phenotypes?
Also wouldn't epigenetics cause some genes to be switched on and off over time?
2014: Psychology [31~28.95]
2015:
Chemistry [37~41.23] | Biology [42~42.86] | Physics [33~35.50] | Methods [29~33.14] | English [36~34.50]
ATAR: 90.35
2016: Monash BSc
Finished VCE at 16
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”

paper-back

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6835 on: October 29, 2015, 11:04:03 am »

What's the difference between DNA profiling and DNA fingerprinting?

kimmytaaa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6836 on: October 29, 2015, 11:18:24 am »
hey
does we need to know the active and passive transport in plasma membrane?
Like how the passive transport respectively goes against its concentration gradient?
and why the plasma membrane is semi-permeable?

kimmytaaa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6837 on: October 29, 2015, 11:18:48 am »
hey
do we need to know the active and passive transport in plasma membrane?
Like how the passive transport respectively goes against its concentration gradient?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #6838 on: October 29, 2015, 11:22:14 am »
+2

Also wouldn't epigenetics cause some genes to be switched on and off over time?

Mutations: Not bad thinking, but no. Sure, they twins will accumulate heaps of mutations, but these generally don't affect all cells. Only mutations in the zygote are passed onto all cells. So, unless mutations are accrued in the zygote (they're normally not) the twins will have identical genomes.
It's important to note that not every cell has exactly the same genome. They will be very slightly different because individual cells can accrue mutations and therefore will pass on those mutations to any daughter cells. Just because one cell gets a mutation, however, doesn't mean that all cells in the body get it. Naturally, mutations earlier on in development are more likely to be spread around the body because more cells are descended from that cell in which the mutation has occurred.

Epigenetics: their epigenetics would be nearly identical because twins tend to grow up in the same environments and because they're descended from the same mother, grown up in the same womb and so on. Sequencing of genomes also entirely ignores epigenetics. When you sequence something, you don't get any sense of gene expression etc.*

Environment: yes, environmental factors will change phenotypes. That's why identical twins never look the same. As far as sequencing though, why would this matter? Environmental factors don't change their genomes...

*for the real pedants, yes I realise that epigenomes are heritable but VCE...

hey
do we need to know the active and passive transport in plasma membrane?

Yes
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Elizawei

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #6839 on: October 29, 2015, 11:23:04 am »
What is the difference between "Transformed" and "transfected" ?
ATAR: 99.70
2017-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2020-2023: Melbourne MD

Founder of Folding Our Futures
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Offering  Chemistry/Bio 3/4 tutoring for 2019! [raw 49, 47] PM me if interested :)