Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:41:13 pm

Author Topic: Subject Selection Advice!! Please Help  (Read 565 times)

fkeywood

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
Subject Selection Advice!! Please Help
« on: August 07, 2019, 06:11:46 pm »
I'm currently in year 11 doing the following subjects:

- Maths Advanced and Extension 1
- English Advanced
- Geography
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Studies of Religion 1
Total of 12 units

Now next year I want to do Mathematics Extension 2 but that would mean I would have 13 units. I know I should probably drop something but I definitely can't drop Biology and Chemistry, and Geography is the subject that I'm getting some of my top marks in.

I'm thinking of dropping Studies of Religion but since a religion unit is required at my school I would go to catholic studies which means no free periods at all.

I don't know if 13 units would be too much to handle, well 12 since catholic studies doesn't count toward the ATAR. Should I even do extension 2 maths? Or should I drop one of my other subjects?

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
Re: Subject Selection Advice!! Please Help
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 06:21:11 pm »
I'm currently in year 11 doing the following subjects:

- Maths Advanced and Extension 1
- English Advanced
- Geography
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Studies of Religion 1
Total of 12 units

Now next year I want to do Mathematics Extension 2 but that would mean I would have 13 units. I know I should probably drop something but I definitely can't drop Biology and Chemistry, and Geography is the subject that I'm getting some of my top marks in.

I'm thinking of dropping Studies of Religion but since a religion unit is required at my school I would go to catholic studies which means no free periods at all.

I don't know if 13 units would be too much to handle, well 12 since catholic studies doesn't count toward the ATAR. Should I even do extension 2 maths? Or should I drop one of my other subjects?

Sorry this is late but here's a couple of questions to help you decide what subjects to keep/drop (in no particular order):
  • What subject do you like the most?
  • What subjects are required for my desired university degree?
  • Out of the subjects I want to drop, what subjects am I doing well in?
  • Will I regret dropping this subject and will it give me more time to study for my other subjects?

Alternatively, if you feel that you don't know what to drop as of yet, it's best to keep all your units until you are certain of what to drop. Personally I did 13 units in year 11 and while it was tolerable, it took up a lot of time that I could be using to study my other subjects to the point where I only had 2 frees per fortnight. I also found talking to your teachers, friends, academic advisors and family as well as making a pros and cons list for your subjects was helpful.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 06:22:44 pm by avocadinq »
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics