Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:18:53 am

Author Topic: Any peeps done VCE Lit and Eng Lang  (Read 3861 times)  Share 

bluebird

• Forum Regular
  • (she/her)
  • Respect: +43
Any peeps done VCE Lit and Eng Lang
« on: September 15, 2020, 02:41:42 pm »
I'm a year 10 whose gonna do eng lang and lit next year and was wondering if there was anyone else who has done it. I'm doing okay in English right now I suppose and my teacher who initially wanted me to do Lit and Mainstream also thought it was a good option. I'm pre interested into the linguistic side of language and also love exploring texts. I also feel like, and have heard that, 3/4 lang is kinda less interesting than 1/2 so idk what's ur take peeps?

Any advice from anyone who has done or are doing VCE Lit or Lang?

Edit: I definitely don't want to do mainstream by the way, just a heads up ;)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 02:50:21 pm by almaria »
VCE 2021: Biology | HHD [50]
VCE 2022: Methods | Chemistry | Literature | English Language

Skittles99

• Adventurer
  • Love to help out where I can.
  • Respect: +8
Re: Any peeps done VCE Lit and Eng Lang
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 07:59:34 pm »
+3
I can't speak for English Literature, but I did English Language U1/2 in Year 11 and mainstream English U3/4 in Year 12.
I'm happy with the decision I made to switch as I found English Language to be a bit boring, I wasn't a fan of writing ACs and analytical essays. My cousin who is doing EL U3/4 currently said it was pretty much the same stuff from Year 11 but more metalanguage, more detail and more depth, mostly just building on the U1/2 content. One thing that I really liked about EL U1/2 was the fact that I found what you were writing was either right or wrong, it wasn't based on your teacher's interpretation like I found my work in English U3/4 was.

If you are passionate about both Literature and EL then I would say go for it for U1/2! You can always change your mind at the end of Year 11 and choose to pursue only one of the two, or you can continue with both. Or you can also always pick up English for Year 12 if you have a change of heart.

I hope this helped! Best of luck with your studies and let me know if you have any questions, (I'll pass on any English Language U3/4 questions to my cousin) :)
2019-2023: Monash University

marble2

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 02:06:29 pm »
+1
Hey! I can't speak for Eng Lang, but I'm currently doing mainstream English and Literature. I really enjoy Literature and how in-depth you go into the chosen texts, lots of analysis and deep thought, quite creative and opened ended!! I chose Eng Lang initially, but after a pre-vce session, I decided to switch to mainstream English as I personally wasn't a fan of how technical Eng Lang was. Many of my friends are doing Eng Lang though and they seem to enjoy the metalanguage and linguistics aspect of it. If you prefer more technical subjects like science and math, you'll likely enjoy it! From what I've heard, Eng Lang seems to be more close ended and straightforward as opposed to mainstream English and Lit which provide more scope for creativity and imagination.

Hope this helped :) Feel free to ask more questions!
2020: Philosophy
2021: English | Literature | Biology
2022: Mathematical Methods | Psychology | Chemistry

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 02:37:53 pm »
+2
I did lit in year 11 and eng lang in year 12

Both subjects have a wide range of experiences and lit in particular can be pretty class-dependent so I recommend chatting to people who study lit at your school about their experiences if you can to try and get more insight. I didn't feel like I was learning much in lit but I think in a different class with a different teaching style I could've really enjoyed it.

I felt like I learnt more in eng lang but I did it through distance ed which had its own set of challenges. In eng lang you don't focus on any texts in particular but I still enjoyed the text excerpt analysis from the linguistics pov.