Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:24:53 am

Author Topic: What's Legal Studies like in unit 3/4???  (Read 4814 times)  Share 

yesyes123

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
What's Legal Studies like in unit 3/4???
« on: June 10, 2011, 07:30:41 pm »
Much harden units 1/2?
More interesting?
A lot too remember, or more understanding?

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: What's Legal Studies like in unit 3/4???
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 08:40:25 pm »
It's a good subject :) There is a lot of content, like any other humanities subject. But I guess it's the way you look at the content that matters. It depends on what you're interested in and how you learn. Understanding the information is important (and usually content in legal isn't that difficult to decipher so don't worry =]). I guess you could get away with rote-learning, but it won't be effective in the long term, especially with application questions. Understanding the content and linking things you learn is essential. I find Legal quite relevant to real-life and interesting so I'm not really that de-motivated to study for it, you know what I mean? If you've done units 1&2, 3&4 will partly be a breezeeee for you, because some concepts are just repeated in 3&4. Legal's not a hard subject as such, it's just how you organise yourself and make meaning of the material and as with any other subject, a consistent effort alongside practicing heaps of questions should do wonders for you :)
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" -Plato

flash36

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 02:15:49 pm »
From my experience; heaps of content which I found extremely dry and uninteresting, even though the course isn't reflective of any law course you may do, year 12 Legal Studies has turned me off law forever. If I had my time again I wouldn't have done the subject.

But that's my experience. In essence however, it is not hard if you put in the work.

elisekatherine

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 09:18:08 pm »
It's a good subject :) There is a lot of content, like any other humanities subject. But I guess it's the way you look at the content that matters. It depends on what you're interested in and how you learn. Understanding the information is important (and usually content in legal isn't that difficult to decipher so don't worry =]). I guess you could get away with rote-learning, but it won't be effective in the long term, especially with application questions. Understanding the content and linking things you learn is essential. I find Legal quite relevant to real-life and interesting so I'm not really that de-motivated to study for it, you know what I mean? If you've done units 1&2, 3&4 will partly be a breezeeee for you, because some concepts are just repeated in 3&4. Legal's not a hard subject as such, it's just how you organise yourself and make meaning of the material and as with any other subject, a consistent effort alongside practicing heaps of questions should do wonders for you :)

I second all of this, it's great advice. Coming from a year 11, I find legal an interesting
subject. Just keep up with notes and homework and make sure you understand everything as you go. Some think legal is a bludge, but it really isn't. I'd recommend it to anyone who is a good writer and can learn lots of info on a range of topics. There are quite a few definitions and cases that needs to be known. It all depends on your willingness to learn things off by heart, back to front (: