Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:20:05 am

Author Topic: How to Write a Module B Essay  (Read 81597 times)

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Augustines College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: How to Write a Module B Essay
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2017, 07:13:03 pm »
Hi All

Im having heaps of trouble trying to develop two conflicting and different ideas for Yeats poetry

Whenever i do practise questions i have alot of trouble coming up with two sperate key ideas/themes/ that are clearly depicted in two poem that answer the question.

Did you guys like have two speicifc theme/ideas that you were always going to talk about and then somhow relate it to the question on the day or did you come up with your concepts on the day?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2017, 08:39:44 pm »
Hi All

Im having heaps of trouble trying to develop two conflicting and different ideas for Yeats poetry

Whenever i do practise questions i have alot of trouble coming up with two sperate key ideas/themes/ that are clearly depicted in two poem that answer the question.

Did you guys like have two speicifc theme/ideas that you were always going to talk about and then somhow relate it to the question on the day or did you come up with your concepts on the day?

When I was studying Yeats, I always talked about tension. Tension between young and old, tension between movement and stability, tension between peace and war, tension between change and stability... So I talked about tension throughout, but in two different lights throughout. It worked really well for me!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • School: St Augustines College
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2017, 10:37:07 pm »
When I was studying Yeats, I always talked about tension. Tension between young and old, tension between movement and stability, tension between peace and war, tension between change and stability... So I talked about tension throughout, but in two different lights throughout. It worked really well for me!

Ok great that makes a lot of sense , thanks ellyse

vmukund17

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2017, 12:48:21 pm »
Do you have any tips for approaching T.S. Eliot?

jadzia26

• Trailblazer
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2017, 11:41:36 pm »
Only recently I got my Mod B exam back and it was quite bad the marker didn't believe I had the right view of the texts nor did i delve deep enough into my analysis but my trial paper 2 is TOMORROW and because i had an exam this afternoon I haven't had time to look at Module B!!!
Module A and C have been fixed but its far too late to do Module B it will take hours to rewrite an essay!
Any last minute tips on how to improve Module B essays?
We're doing the speeches unit (so many texts to remember  :'( )
stressing just a tad right now lol

How do you set up the texts??? is that like context and stuff like that Mod B is sooo different and I'm sooo lost I feel like I've simply forgotten how to properly structure an essay

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2017, 12:22:57 am »
Only recently I got my Mod B exam back and it was quite bad the marker didn't believe I had the right view of the texts nor did i delve deep enough into my analysis but my trial paper 2 is TOMORROW and because i had an exam this afternoon I haven't had time to look at Module B!!!
Module A and C have been fixed but its far too late to do Module B it will take hours to rewrite an essay!
Any last minute tips on how to improve Module B essays?
We're doing the speeches unit (so many texts to remember  :'( )
stressing just a tad right now lol

How do you set up the texts??? is that like context and stuff like that Mod B is sooo different and I'm sooo lost I feel like I've simply forgotten how to properly structure an essay

Hey! Module B is all about judgement. Just remember, whatever you write, to include how effective the text is at doing whatever it is you are talking about. Just remembering that by itself can go a long way. Good luck for tomorrow! ;D

jadzia26

• Trailblazer
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2017, 11:25:39 pm »
Hey! Module B is all about judgement. Just remember, whatever you write, to include how effective the text is at doing whatever it is you are talking about. Just remembering that by itself can go a long way. Good luck for tomorrow! ;D

Thank you so much!
I'm hoping that my essays read better second time around and that might give me some more marks.... maybe.
This definitely helps though because before I was structuring all essays comparatively like Module A which was completely wrong so actually knowing the proper structure and what's being asked outside the question helps heaps.... Can't believe I went all year not knowing

littleshreep

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2017, 03:15:36 pm »
Does anyone have any tips on how I should approach adapting essays to the Hamlet hsc questions? I prefer memorising essays word for word, but that seems a bit difficult for Mod B.

I saw the 2016 question and freaked because it's SO SPECIFIC, and upon emailing my teacher, still have no clue on what would be best to do.

Thanks in advance,
Shree.

cxmplete

• Trailblazer
  • School: Malek Fahd Islamic School
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2017, 09:24:46 pm »
how would you structure a mod b essay for speeches?

hilaryl

• Adventurer
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2018, 05:22:36 pm »
hi all :) i just wanted to ask what context i'd need to know for Christina Rossetti mod B. i have a discussion task on her and i'm not quite sure what to expect

spnmox

• Trendsetter
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2019, 01:44:11 pm »
+2
Great question!

Well,
I think the people who express themselves the best are able to do so because they have a very clear structure in their mind. For me, I wrote essay plans over and over before I actually started the essay. Then I'd write the introduction, and then go back to my essay plan (which was usually quite visual) and reconsider. Lots, and lots of drafting is involved.
I think use of synonyms is important as well. The best essays understand and employ words in a way that is most appropriate. Admittedly, I'd often turn to thesaurus.com to find a better word. But, choosing a word without properly researching and understanding it's connotations often leads to people losing the sophisticated credibility of their essay.
Of course, the quality of ideas comes into this in a huge way. For me, my ideas always start small and I have an incredibly long planning process, note making, rewriting ideas, connecting parts of the texts, taking on different literary perspectives, etc. I know some people have a fabulous way of managing to connect complicated ideas immediately, but I'm not one! My process of coming up with ideas is long, and quite creative. I know it's a struggle for people who are more "math-brained" but usually they can turn out very precise essays through other processes!

I think it's also incredibly important to read your essay orally and look closely at how language flows or jars. Jarring words can affect the overall precision of your essay. Make sure the sentences are not too long, which I know becomes an issue as we try to express more complicated ideas and the syntax gets lost in it all.

Is there a particular piece of feedback you've been given that you want to focus on? Is it expression of ideas, connecting texts, techniques? Happy to help :)

I know this post is quite old but I just wanted to say what a relief it is to read this! I personally agree that the thinking process is a really important part of studying for English; sometimes I spend hours just reading over online essays, notes and forums without writing a single word, and it makes me feel like I'm not doing any actual work. Sometimes we read an essay and get really overwhelmed by how fluent it is, but it's important to remember that hours and hours of work went behind the scenes (for most people)