Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:09:40 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 347829 times)  Share 

vic321

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: HSC Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #1260 on: October 28, 2018, 03:20:22 pm »
predictions for conflict in Europe

hilaryl

• Adventurer
« Reply #1261 on: October 28, 2018, 06:32:43 pm »
wouldn't it be unfair for a gorbachev question to pop up esp since he's under the personality study?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1262 on: October 28, 2018, 06:37:56 pm »
+1
wouldn't it be unfair for a gorbachev question to pop up esp since he's under the personality study?

No, because there’s a whole dot point on him in the Cold War syllabus :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #1263 on: October 28, 2018, 08:34:02 pm »
+5
Not a question, but wishing everyone the best of luck for tommorrow!!!  ;D ;D
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #1264 on: October 28, 2018, 09:37:47 pm »
+7
Good luck tomorrow everyone!

I'm sure you'll absolutely smash it <3 Just remember to include tonnes of detail, make sure your first sentence of every essay/paragraph is a judgement, and that, overall, you just try your very best! That's all anyone could ask for :) You've all worked so hard this year, and should walk into that exam feeling confident!

Keen to hear how it all goes <3

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1265 on: November 11, 2018, 03:15:36 pm »
+2
Hey everyone! Just adding this as a marker for the new syllabus which kicks in from 2019 and beyond. The stuff before this post is definitely still generally useful in terms of skills and some content, but keep in mind that the new course is pretty different from the old one. Keen for this to be a space for collaboration on the new course just as much as the old course! ;D

Livjane_2203

• Adventurer
« Reply #1266 on: November 17, 2018, 04:10:20 pm »
Hey, I am currently doing a source essay for Power and Authority in the Modern World 1919-1946. I was wondering if you could give me any tips on how to strengthen this paragraph please and also how to create an effective last sentence in a body paragraph. My source essay question is:

To what extend did the collapse of the Weimar Republic contribute to the rise and successful consolidation of power of the Nazi Regime.

The Treaty of Versailles was considered brutal and onerous by German civilisation, the Weimar Republic’s signing of this treaty effectively destabilised the democratic government’s foundations within society. The people of Germany were incapable of comprehending how they had been defeated as the bombardment of propaganda throughout WWI rejected this outcome. The German people’s perception of reality was that they had been “stabbed in the back” at home. This legend proved significant in promoting the collapse of the Weimar Republic, as it itself symbolised the destruction of Germany and its fragmented society. This resulted in the formation of antagonistic groups that blamed each other for the catastrophe of  WWI generating social and political upheaval, which contributed to an environment which made the collapse of the Weimar Republic possible. Source 1 is an Austrian Postcard from 1919 that illustrates a Jew holding a dagger preying on a German soldier elucidating the “stab in the back legend”. This primary source illustrates the widespread impact of the “stab in the back legend” as postcards are brought with the intent of sending to someone effectively promoting how widespread this legend was. The alienation of the democratic government from the German people promoted Hitler’s popularity as his views on the abolishment of the Treaty of Versailles appealed to a majority. Source 1 not only provides a successful representation of the disillusionment of German society with relation to the “Stab in the Back” legend but also reinforces anti-Semitism which was a core concept within Nazi ideology. The distinct link between the Nazi Party’s ideology in the 1920s and 1930s and societal views of the time solidifies why the Nazi Party popularity increased. Out of the unstable foundations of German society there was a united common distrust in the Weimar Republic by the majority of civilians it was this common foe that promoted the impact the Nazi Party’s ideology had on the people.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1267 on: November 17, 2018, 09:25:06 pm »
+4
Hey, I am currently doing a source essay for Power and Authority in the Modern World 1919-1946. I was wondering if you could give me any tips on how to strengthen this paragraph please and also how to create an effective last sentence in a body paragraph. My source essay question is:

To what extent did the collapse of the Weimar Republic contribute to the rise and successful consolidation of power of the Nazi Regime.

-snip-

Hello! This is super exciting -- my first time marking a response from the new syllabus woooooot. Check out the spoiler for some comments:
Spoiler
The Treaty of Versailles was considered brutal and onerous by German civilisation, the Weimar Republic’s signing of this treaty effectively destabilised the democratic government’s foundations within society. You need to make a clear judgement in relation to the question here! I'm a little confused about the point you're trying to make.The people of Germany were incapable of comprehending how they had been defeated as the bombardment of propaganda throughout WWI rejected this outcome. They definitely did -- but how does this attitude contribute to the Nazi consolidation of power?The German people’s perception of reality was that they had been “stabbed in the back” at home. <-- You could probably bring in the source here.This legend proved significant in promoting the collapse of the Weimar Republic, as it itself symbolised the destruction of Germany and its fragmented society. [This resulted in the formation of antagonistic groups that blamed each other for the catastrophe of  WWI generating social and political upheaval, which contributed to an environment which made the collapse of the Weimar Republic possible. Yay! I like this :-) This sentence could've been shifted a bit higher but that's okay.] Source 1 is an Austrian Postcard from 1919 that illustrates a Jew holding a dagger preying on a German soldier elucidating the “stab in the back legend”. This primary source illustrates the widespread impact of the “stab in the back legend” as postcards are brought with the intent of sending to someone effectively promoting how widespread this legend was. The alienation of the democratic government from the German people promoted Hitler’s popularity as his views on the abolishment of the Treaty of Versailles appealed to a majority. Source 1 not only provides a successful representation of the disillusionment of German society with relation to the “Stab in the Back” legend but also reinforces anti-Semitism which was a core concept within Nazi ideology. You've looked at the source pretty well but this could be integrated throughout your response.The distinct link between the Nazi Party’s ideology in the 1920s and 1930s and societal views of the time solidifies why the Nazi Party popularity increased. Out of the unstable foundations of German society there was a united common distrust in the Weimar Republic by the majority of civilians it was this common foe that promoted the impact the Nazi Party’s ideology had on the people.

This was a good attempt! More general stuff here:
- Your first sentence needs to relate to all parts of the question. What are you arguing? Are you 100% sure the collapse of the Weimar Republic contributed to the success of the Nazi Party? Or do you think other factors contributed more? Demonstrate your argument with what you think about the question. On that note, don't make that first sentence longer than it needs to because I was a little confused with what you meant. I think if you had mentioned the ToV after making your argument it would've flowed better. Does that make sense?
- I'm not super familiar with the syllabus (and therefore the exam format), but if this is in response to a source, I think you could've mentioned it earlier. Could just be a personal preference thing though!
- You mentioned attitudes of the German people throughout your response but to keep answering the question, you should relate that to how the Nazis used that to gain power.
- I don't think this is a source analysis question but a question that requires you to actually analyse the source. It doesn't need to be super detailed, you just need to mention it enough so the marker knows you've used the source to help you answer the question :-)

I hope this helps!!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #1268 on: November 17, 2018, 09:36:04 pm »
+4

To what extend did the collapse of the Weimar Republic contribute to the rise and successful consolidation of power of the Nazi Regime.
Hey there,
Just a disclaimer, I haven't had a proper look at how source analysis responses are supposed to be structured for the new syllabus so I'm going off how I usually structure my source analysis responses. Here's my overall feedback on your response:
- Great assessment in the first sentence
- Maybe add how censorship also contributed to their shock towards Germany's loss in WW1
- Elaborate a bit more when you mentioned 'social and political upheaval'- you could talk about issues like Article 48 and proportional representation since Germany was forced to turn into a democracy
- Another thing to add is how Source 1 feeds into the Jewish stereotype- they're either greedy or large men with large noses (no clue why lmao). Maybe you could add this when you talk about reinforcing anti-Semitic

As for the last sentence, I would add my final assessment on how the collapse of Weimar Germany contributed to consolidation of Nazi Regime and my assessment on how the source reflects this (if that makes sense).

Hope this helps!

Edit: Looks like FB3 already beat me to it!

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Livjane_2203

• Adventurer
« Reply #1269 on: November 22, 2018, 09:42:04 pm »
Hey, its me again with my source essay.

I've just completed my last paragraph for my essay and was wondering if you could have a look to see if I could strengthen it in anyway. Just so you know my previous paragraphs were:
1. impact of the stab in the back legend which was above.
2. all about the depression and how this supported the Weimar Republic's collapse and Nazi Party Rise
3. The Reichstag Fire and enabling act and how this endorsed the consolidation of power.

"By 1934, Hitler’s continuing consolidation of power was threatened by the growing disturbance the SA caused throughout Germany. The SA were the beginning foundations of the Nazi Regime however, they now proved more destructive to Hitler’s cause. His unwavering willingness to secure absolute power was highlighted through The Night of Long Knives on the 30th of June 1934. Source 4 is a secondary source by Historian Ian Kershaw, given the benefit of hindsight his analysis can be considered more reliable as it considers multiple perspectives in order to draw conclusions. This source provides insight on how this event eradicated an internal threat to Hitler’s power and the significance of the army’s allegiance to Hitler. This allegiance deterred any possible future rebellion against the Regime promoting its continual control and also endorsed Hitler’s desired foreign policy. Hindenburg’s convenient death secured Hitler’s absolute power stabilising the Nazi Regime throughout Germany. Dictatorship was established from the foundations of the Weimar Republic it was this democratic process that legalised the Nazi Party’s progression of power. The democratic system directly benefited Hitler’s creation of a totalitarian government in Germany. "

So the  question again is:

To what extent did the collapse of the Weimar Republic contribute to the rise and successful consolidation of power of the Nazi Regime.

And the source is :

“ The bloody repression of part of his own Movement was a critical moment in the consolidation of Hitler’s power … (The) popular esteem gained his destruction of the generally hated SA was a further boost to Hitler’s power”.

Thanks.

darcyynic

• MOTM: NOV 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #1270 on: November 22, 2018, 10:36:39 pm »
+7
"By 1934, Hitler’s continuing consolidation of power was threatened by the growing disturbance the SA caused throughout Germany. The SA were the beginning foundations of the Nazi Regime however, they now proved more destructive to Hitler’s cause. His unwavering willingness to secure absolute power was highlighted through The Night of Long Knives on the 30th of June 1934. Source 4 is a secondary source by Historian Ian Kershaw, given the benefit of hindsight his analysis can be considered more reliable as it considers multiple perspectives in order to draw conclusions. This source provides insight on how this event eradicated an internal threat to Hitler’s power and the significance of the army’s allegiance to Hitler. This allegiance deterred any possible future rebellion against the Regime promoting its continual control and also endorsed Hitler’s desired foreign policy. Hindenburg’s convenient death secured Hitler’s absolute power stabilising the Nazi Regime throughout Germany. Dictatorship was established from the foundations of the Weimar Republic it was this democratic process that legalised the Nazi Party’s progression of power. The democratic system directly benefited Hitler’s creation of a totalitarian government in Germany. "

Hey!

This paragraph is a great effort, especially for so early in the HSC year. You should be so proud of yourself for starting early!

Here is some feedback on the paragraph in the spoiler:

Spoiler

- Make sure that you begin with a strong assessment which links back to your thesis. I think your opening sentence might be slightly too explanatory. Perhaps start off with something more like: Although the collapse of the Weimar Republic was to a high extent responsible for the rise the Nazi party, the Night of the Long Knives was another contributing factor to the party's successful consolidation of power.

-Perhaps integrate your source a little more with your argument. Rather than starting off with a description of the source, maybe use it to back you up + include a direct quote. For example: This is proven by Source Four, a secondary source written by historian Ian Kershaw which argues that "the bloody repression of part of his own movement was a critical moment in the consolidation of Nazi power."

- I like your judgement that the source is made more reliable through the benefit of hindsight. I would suggest discussing the reliability + perspective of the source a little more (for example, is the evidence it provides corroborated by another source?)

- Make sure the end of your paragraph ties back to the question and your thesis. A sentence about how ultimately, the collapse of the Weimar Republic, despite being highly important, was not enough to see the successful consolidation of Nazi power and thus the Night of the Long Knives was another crucial factor.

- Final piece of advice: just remember to make your judgement clear throughout the entire piece.

I hope this helps a little! Again, I am so proud of you for starting so early. This paragraph really shows your determination to achieve! Congratulations. :)
HSC Class of 2018: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Modern History, Ancient History, History Extension, and German Continuers.

2019: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Politics and International Relations) (Dalyell Scholars) at USYD.

abhiroop.pal1

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1271 on: December 04, 2018, 05:54:05 pm »
hey!!

So, context, I have my Modern History Russia National study essay coming up on THURSDAY and I guess I'm worried coz i feel underprepared. I dn't know how I can memorise the details to get a band 6 (I know the GENERAL gyst of events etc.)

There will be 2 questions in the exam - i have to pick one:
1. Economic transformation in the soviet union
2. Survey: consolidation of power

I HAVE 45 MIN to write and 5 min planning time

(how should i use my planning time wisely)

I have been dedicated and focused on studying 1. (above):

My questions!!!!

Q: Do you have any "last minute" tips and things I should do to prep for the exam the night before and on the day.

Q: What should I do if I'm running out of time.

Q: What should I do if I am experiencing Writer's block :(((

Q: I'm heavily focusing my prep on the economic transformations in the soviet union - do you have any useful resources?

Q: Do you have a list of things that I must know otherwise I won't get a Band 6 (e.g. specific events, dates, quotes, etc.)

Q: What is the difference between just describing the event and going beyond (as in - HOW would I be able to write a band 6 essay)

TYSM XO

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #1272 on: December 04, 2018, 06:18:44 pm »
+4
Hey there!

First things first, everyone (well most people) feel super underprepped right before exams. I did too, especially for mod. Mind, I might not have done so great, but when you start writing, you actually remember way more than you think you know! Just go over everything, calm down and everything will be fine, you've done the hard work for now anyway :)

Memorising details comes to different people in different ways. I literally either spun in a chair or walked up and down while reciting things over and over, but this may not be the most efficient method for you! I remember a while back there was this worksheet method brought up by Jake, so maybe go check that out? Otherwise, you really have to find your method, since there is no single formula for everyone :)

Since you're given the sections the questions come from, you know what to study. Don't bother studying anything else (study smarter, not harder :) ). With planning time, for me I did two things: (but other people will have different methods, more or less effective depending on the person (please add to this guys!!!)) I quote/info  dumped, and fully planned out everything --> so sorta like a skeleton for my essay, like the bare minimum of an essay plan :) but yeah like i said, there are plenty of ways to do this :)

Also, side note, make sure you study both! You will get absolutely destroyed if only study one and the other pops up (learnt that one the hard way) :D

In terms of 'last minute tips', essentially study hard today. Don't push it though. Tomorrow, really try to relax, just skim your content to make sure you know it, but the most important thing is to de-stress. It really screws with your mind going in stressed (learnt that also the hard way --> eg the day before HSC Mod i did my physics homework for 50% of the day, then skimmed the notes for the other half of the day) (you don't have to do this in particular, as long as you de-stress)

If you're running out of time, I'd assume you're onto your last paragraph? I never ran out of time, but I was told by my teacher to summarise in dot points succinctly to get your points across so you can get some marks, then finish strong with a conclusion. (Someone please back up/deny this :) )

For 'writers block' --> well there are two situations a) you really get the flow of things, so this doesnt occur b) you're super screwed about halfway through :o but uh for this, I think pause for about a minute, stare around the hall for a bit :) theoretically, you can be writing the essay in 40 minutes (if using a three paragraph structure, 5 for the intro and conclusion, 10 for each paragraph), but you don't have to do this! Point is, recollect your thoughts, especially if you have the time. I find that drinking a bit of water really helps :D

Economic transformations in the Soviet Union? Really get your stats across, know your stuff. If you want resources, the resource compilation by @owidjaja is super awesome, but I think Power and Privilege by David Christian has some pretty nice stats. Though Ken Webb has a really flawed opinion, his stats are usually solid as well.

I'll leave the last ones to the people with more expertise, because uh I honestly don't know how to answer them in a helpful way!

Hope what I have answered helps anyway! :D
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

abhiroop.pal1

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1273 on: December 04, 2018, 07:19:56 pm »

Also, side note, make sure you study both! You will get absolutely destroyed if only study one and the other pops up (learnt that one the hard way) :D

I meant that there will be 2 in the exam, one survey question and the other on economic transformation - I get to pick one and ill defs pick the economic transformation.

What did you mean by that line above??

also wheres the reource compilation?

TYSM FUN_JIRACHI YOURE SO HELPFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XO

Mod edit: Merged double post. Please use the 'Modify' button :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:03:30 pm by owidjaja »

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1274 on: December 04, 2018, 08:30:49 pm »
+1

I meant that there will be 2 in the exam, one survey question and the other on economic transformation - I get to pick one and ill defs pick the economic transformation.

What did you mean by that line above??

Hello!

He probably means that in the event that you're given two topics to study but only study one, you will find it harder to form a response because you didn't study that topic.

The resource compilation is here!

Best of luck for your assessment :-)