Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:42:31 am

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 347875 times)  Share 

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: HSC Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #1245 on: September 08, 2018, 07:09:30 pm »
+1
Hey guys,
Just a general question: does anyone ever finish the whole Modern History syllabus on time? My class is extremely behind, i.e. we've only started looking at Operation Barbarossa and we have around 10 days of school left (excluding Graduation Assembly, Mass, Year 12 Brunch, Formal etc.).

So yeah, just curious if anyone usually finishes learning the content early.

Have faith! You’ll finish somehow. I think my class finished the content like ~1.5 weeks before the end of term and at one point we (minus the dropkicks lol) we’re stressed about not finishing but we still did — earlier than expected!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #1246 on: September 10, 2018, 09:50:14 pm »
Hey guys,
Just a question on the dot point on the Nuremberg Trials: do we need to know on the Nazi leaders that were charged and their sentence? Personally I feel like it's a bit too excessive for this dot point but I'm not sure how much we need to know (I've been self-teaching myself because we've lost hope in being able to finish the topic this term).
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1247 on: September 10, 2018, 10:21:31 pm »
+2
Hey guys,
Just a question on the dot point on the Nuremberg Trials: do we need to know on the Nazi leaders that were charged and their sentence? Personally I feel like it's a bit too excessive for this dot point but I'm not sure how much we need to know (I've been self-teaching myself because we've lost hope in being able to finish the topic this term).

Hi!

I didn't do Conflict in Europe (I assume that's the topic you're studying) but a general rule I went by was if I didn't think it was going to go in an essay, I wouldn't memorise it. If you think it's a bit excessive, it probably is -- trust yourself :-)

Hope this helps lol
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1248 on: September 30, 2018, 06:42:34 pm »
+1
Hey guys,
What kind of essay questions could they ask on the Nuremberg Trials?

This syllabus dot point has never been asked before and my teacher also isn't sure what they could ask.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

eliseeeeee_m

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1249 on: October 01, 2018, 07:22:05 pm »
+2
Hey guys,
What kind of essay questions could they ask on the Nuremberg Trials?

This syllabus dot point has never been asked before and my teacher also isn't sure what they could ask.

I was thinking the same thing!
I don't think it will be an entire essay on the one dot point (even if it was you could argue other factors with reference to it). 
For example, it could be a question like The Nuremberg Trials marked the consolidation of the Allied victory. To what extent is this statement true?
(idk something along those lines)
hope this helps! :)
HSC 2018: Advanced English // Extension English I // Modern History // Legal Studies // Drama // Studies of Religion I

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1250 on: October 04, 2018, 09:17:02 pm »
Hey guys,
Do we discuss the Battle of El Alamein as one battle or do I need to go in detail with the First Battle of El Alamein and Second Battle of El Alamein?

doritopope

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1251 on: October 21, 2018, 10:03:28 pm »
+4
Hey guys,
Do we discuss the Battle of El Alamein as one battle or do I need to go in detail with the First Battle of El Alamein and Second Battle of El Alamein?

Well, the First Battle of El Alamein could be interpreted as the climax of the turning point as it had no clear winner. Its effects, such as Churchill's visit to Africa to boost morale and replace leadership, could be felt immediately in the second battle of El Alamein. Furthermore, the first battle drained a large amount of resources and generated a large number of casualties for both sides. So, seeing as how impactful the first battle was to the second battle, id say its best to discuss both but differentiate both simultaneously.

good luck!

askaerdf

• Adventurer
« Reply #1252 on: October 26, 2018, 08:31:10 pm »
Hey sorry to bother but for conflict in europe im unsure what syllabus dot points would go under
Turning points of the war,
aims and strategies of axis allied powers
reasons for allied victories

since im trying to summarise the topic into the 5 learn to statements to make it easy to remember

jq12328

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1253 on: October 27, 2018, 02:19:00 pm »
Hey guys,

Any ideas on what essay questions they might ask? I've prepped plans for most of them, but since i have a little extra time, i was thinking of expanding on a few that are more likely to be asked. Here are ones my teacher predicted:

WWI: Changing attitudes of soldiers + homefront, total war
Personality: Part I- Describe personal background + historical context (apparently it hasn't been asked in a while and 3 sig events has been asked past few years)
Germany: Impact TOV, rise of Nazi party, society + culture Nazi state, proporganda + terror + repression
Cold War: No idea :(

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #1254 on: October 27, 2018, 02:54:57 pm »
+3
Hey guys,

Any ideas on what essay questions they might ask? I've prepped plans for most of them, but since i have a little extra time, i was thinking of expanding on a few that are more likely to be asked. Here are ones my teacher predicted:

WWI: Changing attitudes of soldiers + homefront, total war
Personality: Part I- Describe personal background + historical context (apparently it hasn't been asked in a while and 3 sig events has been asked past few years)
Germany: Impact TOV, rise of Nazi party, society + culture Nazi state, proporganda + terror + repression
Cold War: No idea :(
Hey!
I don't know about the cold war
But for ww1, it's pretty hard to predict as the sources are all over the place a lot of the time
I hope you're wrong for personality, as three significant events are pretty good to do and then part B will probably be one of those 3 common generic questions, just worded differently.
As for Germany... I agree with the impact of TOV and the rise of the Nazi party as well as propaganda + terror + repression. However, i went through and compared all the past paper questions to syllabus dot points and i couldn't find one dealing with "Nazism as totalitarianism" so i think that may well be in there

All the best for Monday!  ;D
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

jq12328

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1255 on: October 27, 2018, 03:26:24 pm »
Hey!
I don't know about the cold war
But for ww1, it's pretty hard to predict as the sources are all over the place a lot of the time
I hope you're wrong for personality, as three significant events are pretty good to do and then part B will probably be one of those 3 common generic questions, just worded differently.
As for Germany... I agree with the impact of TOV and the rise of the Nazi party as well as propaganda + terror + repression. However, i went through and compared all the past paper questions to syllabus dot points and i couldn't find one dealing with "Nazism as totalitarianism" so i think that may well be in there

All the best for Monday!  ;D

Thanks!! I'll definetly have another look at totalitarianism. Also, i was wondering about essay questions. My teacher's always told us that if the question is a "to what extent", we have to discuss the topic stated 60% of the time, and other factors can account for 40%. Is this just for "to what extent", or pretty much all questions? One of my trial questions was "Asses the role of the Truman Doctrine in shaping the origins of the Cold War". I chose the other question as to me, the wording made it sound like we could only discuss the Truman Doctrine, but one of my friends said that wasn't the case?

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #1256 on: October 27, 2018, 03:47:43 pm »
+3
Thanks!! I'll definetly have another look at totalitarianism. Also, i was wondering about essay questions. My teacher's always told us that if the question is a "to what extent", we have to discuss the topic stated 60% of the time, and other factors can account for 40%. Is this just for "to what extent", or pretty much all questions? One of my trial questions was "Asses the role of the Truman Doctrine in shaping the origins of the Cold War". I chose the other question as to me, the wording made it sound like we could only discuss the Truman Doctrine, but one of my friends said that wasn't the case?
Well for that question you could definitely talk about other stuff! I don't know how big the dot point of the Truman doctrine is, but you could definitely talk about other stuff. You're 'assessing the role' of it. So what was it's role? Was it big or small? If it was small, what were some of the other factors shaping 'the origins of the cold war' I also think you need to look at it on a question by question basis, as some questions may require a total focus on one specific area e.g Hitlers role in the Nazi state You couldn't start talking about 'Nazi foreign policy' or something. So my advice is to look at the questions on the day and plan out whether it allows you the flexibility to attack it from different directions.
I agree with your teacher. Obviously, the question needs to be your main focus but to add to your argument and show the marker more of your knowledge it is good to include other factors. I'm guessing you couldn't write a 25 mark essay on JUST THAT

Take the dot point on Germany regarding the 'impact of the great depression on Germany' if that was a to what extent did it contribute to the full of the WR/rise of the nazis, then by saying to a moderate extent (say 60%). Your para on the great depression would obviously be the biggest but then you would include other factors that contributed to the fall of the WR/rise of the nazis (the other 40%).

Hope this helps!  ;D
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1257 on: October 27, 2018, 03:57:33 pm »
+4
Thanks!! I'll definitely have another look at totalitarianism. Also, i was wondering about essay questions. My teacher's always told us that if the question is a "to what extent", we have to discuss the topic stated 60% of the time, and other factors can account for 40%. Is this just for "to what extent", or pretty much all questions? One of my trial questions was "Asses the role of the Truman Doctrine in shaping the origins of the Cold War". I chose the other question as to me, the wording made it sound like we could only discuss the Truman Doctrine, but one of my friends said that wasn't the case?

Just my two cents on your questions (already answered amazingly by Mada438!)

In regards to totalitarianism, my HSC (last year) asked a question kinda similar to that so I wouldn't bank on that being one of the questions for Germany,

With the 'to what extent' question, I guess it could apply to all questions. With the Truman Doctrine question you could definitely address other points in the origins of the Cold War section :-) If you think about it this way, the Truman Doctrine wasn't the only thing that shaped the origins of the Cold War -- there were heaps of other things!

Hope this helps and best of luck for Monday!

ALSO-- if you have any questions, keep them coming!! I'll be checking in really frequently today and tomorrow :-)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 03:59:19 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »

hilaryl

• Adventurer
« Reply #1258 on: October 27, 2018, 11:30:28 pm »
hi! does anyone have predictions on what the questions will be for russia and cold war?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1259 on: October 28, 2018, 10:52:02 am »
hi! does anyone have predictions on what the questions will be for russia and cold war?

Hello!

I didn't do Russia so no predictions there, but for Cold War (do NOT quote me on this I'm awful at predictions) I think it'll be something on Gorbachev or a really broad question on superpower rivalry.

Best of luck for tomorrow!