Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:48:21 am

Author Topic: Balance of power and control of the senate  (Read 9133 times)  Share 

brendan

Re: Balance of power and control of the senate
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 08:00:39 pm »
You may not be required to use the exact wording of 'Balance of Power' being shifted in Legal Studies but the concept definitely needs to be known and this is the way it is taught in most text books.

To refer to the division of legislative powers between the State and Federal Parliaments as simply "balance of powers" without any other clarification is sloppy terminology.

The term "Balance of power" in itself could mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_of_power_%28parliament%29 or it could mean the horizontal separation of powers between the three branches of government (executive, legislature and judiciary). It is not entirely clear.

The study design does specifies "the division of power between State and Commonwealth Parliaments under the Commonwealth Constitution" and I would recommend that you either say that in full when referring to it, or call it the "Federal-State balance" or "Federal -state balance of power" to distinguish it from other "balances of power".
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 08:03:24 pm by brendan »

costargh

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 08:05:36 pm »
It is made clear in Legal Studies (THIS subject) because that

The term "Balance of power" in itself could mean ...could mean the horizontal separation of powers between the three branches of government (executive, legislature and judiciary). It is not entirely clear.

is called the separation of powers.

Elephantperson (I forgot your real screen name), just remember to listen to your text book. It has been written ESPECIALLY for Legal Studies so any other definitions that may be used will merely complicate things and confuse you. Me and Goose have done this so stick to what we've told you and if you have any further questions, ask.

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 08:25:57 pm »
To refer to the division of legislative powers between the State and Federal Parliaments as simply "balance of powers" without any other clarification is sloppy terminology.

The term "Balance of power" in itself could mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_of_power_%28parliament%29 or it could mean the horizontal separation of powers between the three branches of government (executive, legislature and judiciary). It is not entirely clear.

The study design does specifies "the division of power between State and Commonwealth Parliaments under the Commonwealth Constitution" and I would recommend that you either say that in full when referring to it, or call it the "Federal-State balance" or "Federal -state balance of power" to distinguish it from other "balances of power".
hm i think in all the prac exams etc i did i always said something like 'the balance of power between the states and the clth' to make it clear.

brendan

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 08:31:41 pm »
the horizontal separation of powers between the three branches of government (executive, legislature and judiciary). It is not entirely clear.

is called the separation of powers.

Yes that's what i said.

Bottom Line

If you see these quoted terms by themselves without any further clarification then:

"Balance of power" commonly refers to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_of_power_%28parliament%29
"Division of powers" commonly refers to the division of legislative power between State and Federal Parliaments under the Australian Constitution, sometimes referred to as the "vertical division of powers".
"Separation of powers" commonly refers to the horizontal separation of powers between the three branches of government (executive, legislature and judiciary)

can somebody help me define both "balance of power" and "control of the senate".

ElephantStew, If you read "balance of power" and "control of the senate" in the same text or passage, I am 99% sure that in that context "balance of power" was referring to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_of_power_%28parliament%29
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 12:58:18 pm by brendan »

costargh

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 08:36:34 pm »
Quite right. Refer to above Legal Students. However be aware of the context of which the question is using the "Balance of Powers". It is pretty obvious when it says the "Balance of power" between State and Fed.

ElephantStew

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 12:50:15 pm »
Elephantperson (I forgot your real screen name)
LOL no problem. But thanks a bunch for the tips
2007:
International Studies (37)

2008:
Eng Lang
Latin
Legal
Methods
Revolutions
Monash Enhancement Study - History

2009:
BA (Bachelor of Awesomeness) @ The University of Melbourne

legaltutor

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 06:05:36 pm »
Reminder: There is a difference between Balance of Power, Separation of Power and Division of Power.
Make sure you can differentiate.

See my ad for tutoring services