Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:23:31 am

Author Topic: 2019 Monash New Student Thread  (Read 66679 times)  Share 

whatishappening

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: 2019 Monash New Student Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2019, 06:25:42 pm »
Hey guys I'm kinda panicking and hope I didn't screw anything up... basically I called monash yesterday after receiving an offer and am waiting for a second round offer. The lady I called told me to enroll normally and accept my current offer. I did everything including putting my TFN in as well as enrolling in the required units. Today I got an email, saying that FEE-Help just paid for my units. How am I supposed to unenroll and later on accept a potential second round offer when the units for my current offer have already been paid? Should I have not done that? Or is that normal!?

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2019, 06:39:25 pm »
+3
Hey guys I'm kinda panicking and hope I didn't screw anything up... basically I called monash yesterday after receiving an offer and am waiting for a second round offer. The lady I called told me to enroll normally and accept my current offer. I did everything including putting my TFN in as well as enrolling in the required units. Today I got an email, saying that FEE-Help just paid for my units. How am I supposed to unenroll and later on accept a potential second round offer when the units for my current offer have already been paid? Should I have not done that? Or is that normal!?
It's all good, as long as you unenrol from units that you don't intend to complete (whether that be units you wish to drop in your course or even changing courses) by the census date (which I think is the end of March) you won't be charged/have to pay it back on HECS.

whatishappening

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2019, 06:43:10 pm »
It's all good, as long as you unenrol from units that you don't intend to complete (whether that be units you wish to drop in your course or even changing courses) by the census date (which I think is the end of March) you won't be charged/have to pay it back on HECS.
Ohh okay thank you so much you relieved my stress. But I just wanna ask, if I don’t have to pay any HECS yet then what is the FEE-help thing they just paid? Like I got an invoice that says my units are paid and everything. Does that mean they paid for my units and is it refundable by the census date or something? Once again thanks!

ilikenoodlez

• Adventurer
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2019, 08:07:39 pm »
should we already be ordering student ID cards or can this wait? i'm waiting on second round offer so might not be going to monash

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2019, 08:08:37 pm »
+3
should we already be ordering student ID cards or can this wait? i'm waiting on second round offer so might not be going to monash

It can wait.  Lots of people don't get them until o week

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2019, 08:59:31 pm »
Ohh okay thank you so much you relieved my stress. But I just wanna ask, if I don’t have to pay any HECS yet then what is the FEE-help thing they just paid? Like I got an invoice that says my units are paid and everything. Does that mean they paid for my units and is it refundable by the census date or something? Once again thanks!
I would assume it is refundable, since you cannot be charged unless you continue a unit past the census date :)
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

Globe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2019, 09:40:18 pm »
Hey just wanted to know whether people would recommend doing back-to-back units, for example an arts lecture from 1-2, and then another arts lecture or a tutorial from 2-3. Do lectures or tutorials tend to go overtime? Should I put an hour gap between each unit on the same day?
2017: | Psychology [41->40] |
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |
Atar: 96.55 :)

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2019, 09:44:02 pm »
+3
Hey just wanted to know whether people would recommend doing back-to-back units, for example an arts lecture from 1-2, and then another arts lecture or a tutorial from 2-3. Do lectures or tutorials tend to go overtime? Should I put an hour gap between each unit on the same day?
Obviously I don't do arts, however a lot of my classes occur back-to-back. I find that lectures and tutorials don't usually run overtime. This is my experience, so take that with a grain of salt because it may be different with arts units ^-^

I don't see the harm in doing two classes one after the other, honestly, although it's ultimately up to you! :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:47:36 pm by insanipi »
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2019, 09:46:17 pm »
+3
All classes are scheduled to start on the hour (e.g. 10:00am) and finish 10 mins to the hour (e.g. 10:50am). The 10 minutes is a buffer for students to get to their next class, so yes, there is enough time for you to get between classes. :) You don't really need an hour gap - personally I find 1-hour breaks for private study are unproductive - by the time you've found a spot to sit and then open your laptop/books, you've only got 30-40 mins to pack up and head to your next class. However, I do find them useful for lunch, etc.

P.S. There are some people that do something like 5 hours of classes in a row to get them out of the way :P
VCE 2015-16

fluff

• Trailblazer
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2019, 10:07:17 pm »
Hi, I just had a question about whether or not there were mentoring programs available (ie w a senior or an older student) for 1st year students at Monash?

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2019, 10:12:09 pm »
+2
Hi, I just had a question about whether or not there were mentoring programs available (ie w a senior or an older student) for 1st year students at Monash?
I know this exists at Parkville in a formal capacity, however I think the closest program formal program offered at Clayton is the Host Scheme (I'm not too sure about it but I've heard it mentioned- worth a look perhaps). Another similar thing to look into is non-residential colleges (available in Clayton, Caulfield and Peninsula; Parkville to come in 2020!), which function as a more social setting with older year-level leaders etc :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2019, 10:27:31 pm »
+2
To add on to what insanipi has said, most courses have course-specific mentor programs available (either organised by the faculty themselves, or the student society). You should be able to find out more about either via email or at your course orientation/intro day :)
VCE 2015-16

Novashock

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • someone save me
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2019, 01:20:59 am »
guys this might be really dumb but i dont get the electives thing :(
 im doing biomed and i have one elective per sem right (and then 2 per sem in final year). So does that mean if i choose to do 2 minors for my electives i have to complete all 24 units each over this year or do i do one class per elective (therefore getting 12 elective points per year except 3rd year which is 24) and finish the two minors over the course of my degree? And if so, can i choose whichever classes to enrol in this year, or is there a set way to progress? Sorry i'm just super confused ahaha. Like for example, i was thinking to do chem and astrophysics as a minor. So do i do chem 1 and chem 2 this year, then do astronomy and foundation physics next year?

Thank you !!!
2017 | Psychology
2018 | English, Methods,  HHD, Biology, Chemistry
2019 | BBiomedSc @ Monash University
2022 | MD @ Deakin University

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2019, 01:29:29 am »
+2
guys this might be really dumb but i dont get the electives thing :(
 im doing biomed and i have one elective per sem right (and then 2 per sem in final year). So does that mean if i choose to do 2 minors for my electives i have to complete all 24 units each over this year or do i do one class per elective (therefore getting 12 elective points per year except 3rd year which is 24) and finish the two minors over the course of my degree? And if so, can i choose whichever classes to enrol in this year, or is there a set way to progress? Sorry i'm just super confused ahaha. Like for example, i was thinking to do chem and astrophysics as a minor. So do i do chem 1 and chem 2 this year, then do astronomy and foundation physics next year?

Thank you !!!
It doesnt matter how you construct your course you could do 1 chem and 1 astrophysics or two chem etc.

And yes you complete minors over a whole degree (not just 1 year) as usually you wont be able to do all the units from one minor at the same time due to prereqs

Just a few things to be mindful of
-prerequisites (which units do you need completed to progress in that minor)
-are the units run on first semester or second (or both)
-maximum 10 first year units in your course (6 of these are taken up by core units)

DoctorTwo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2019, 01:30:18 am »
Hi again, I just had a quick question:

If a unit which I’m planning on taking in semester 2 says that a prerequisite of it is ‘Twelve credit points of first-year Arts units’ does that mean that I can take it in semester 2 as long as I pass 2 arts units (6 points each) in semester 1?
Thanks!