Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 09:10:32 pm

Author Topic: Oral SAC Help  (Read 433 times)  Share 

f0od

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Oral SAC Help
« on: May 16, 2019, 11:53:19 am »
Hey all, we are in the midst of our oral sac preparation, and I'm not sure on how to properly structure an A+ worthy oral (or any oral at this point lol)

I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide some tips or a solid oral structure

Thanks heaps :)
class of 2019

LivQuaintrelle

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Re: Oral SAC Help
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 05:50:10 pm »
+3
Hey all, we are in the midst of our oral sac preparation, and I'm not sure on how to properly structure an A+ worthy oral (or any oral at this point lol)

I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide some tips or a solid oral structure

Thanks heaps :)

Hey f0od!

Great question. The thing with orals is that you need to focus on both your argument and also the way you present it too.

With structure, you want to be doing it almost in the same way you would a text response. By that, I mean you need to have:

- an introduction with a main contention (i.e. your stance on your issue)
- different arguments supporting your stance with evidence supporting this throughout (try to have at least 3)
- a rebuttal (acknowledging other points that may contest your stance 'while [another source] may argue... they may have not considered [evidence to the contrary to support your point]')
- a 'mic drop' conclusion (the best way to end. After briefly summarising what you've said and reiterating your contention, end with a short, sharp statement that will keep your presentation in your viewers' minds, even after you're done)

As for the way you're presenting, keep this in mind too, as this is also a big part of your mark. Make sure you practice being as engaging as possible through not standing still throughout, having the right hand gestures (i.e. not standing with your arms crossed or having them close the whole time, as this suggests a barrier between you and who you're addressing) and you might even consider having a powerpoint presentation in the background (pictures only, no words, otherwise you take the focus off yourself). Depending on what your teachers will accept, you might even consider taking on a persona in relation to your topic (e.g. a doctor if you're talking about vaccinations).

Hope this helps and good luck with your oral!!