Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:39:35 am

Author Topic: Faith and English  (Read 711 times)  Share 

Annax_i

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Faith and English
« on: May 14, 2019, 04:30:40 pm »
Hey guys!
At my school there are 4 unit 3 sacs. I’ve done 2, the analysis and the creative SAC. With a mediocre score in my creative and a mediocre score in the anylisis (which I just finished a few hours ago) I’m not sure what to do. The school dedicated quiet a few weeks into this anylisis task and I really grinded, wrote atlease 9 practice essays but it did not seem to have paid off.
I seem to have some sort of text anxiety which makes me blank in my English sacs. Right before my sac I could feel myself saying you’re not gonna finish, it’s not going to work and that’s exactly what happened.
I am aiming for a 42+ in English, I’m going to do a lot more TIMED practice to get over this but I don’t know if I can achieve my goal at this point.
Any advice would mean the world :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 04:34:24 pm by Annax_i »

TheLlama

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +10
Re: Faith and English
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 05:06:14 pm »
+2
Okay, so the first thing I'd say is to stay confident and trust that your effort will be rewarded in time. Even if your results haven't been what you're hoping for, it's only two pieces.

Some things that might help:
- You're putting a lot of effort in, but if you're doing the same essay over and over again that might not be useful preparation.
- Rather than spending so much time writing lots of essays, you might want to consider doing some prompt work. Grab a list of essay prompts and give yourself 10 or 15 minutes to just outline an essay. It's a more effective use of your time and will help prepare you for timed conditions.
- If you're blanking, you might want to create a different routine for yourself at the start of a SAC, a series of steps that you can just turn on automatically to rely on. It might be: break down topic, brainstorm, quick plan, go - or something that works for you. But if you can switch from your current mindset to one that's action-focused, it can take attention away from other thoughts.
- Or, try creating a checklist so you break down the writing into smaller components. Rather than saying, "I'm not going to write a whole essay", make a small checklist where you can check off pieces as you go - sometimes making it into smaller tasks can help make it feel more manageable. Even if you don't finish the whole essay, it's often better to have a higher quality piece.
- Have you spoken to your teacher and explained what's happening?

If you'd like some more advice, you're more than welcome to ask (feel free to PM me if you'd like!). Hope that helps a little and good luck with English  :)
English/Lit teacher and tutor. PM me about tutoring or feedback!

jeremychoo

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Faith and English
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 07:18:45 pm »
Hey guys!
At my school there are 4 unit 3 sacs. I’ve done 2, the analysis and the creative SAC. With a mediocre score in my creative and a mediocre score in the anylisis (which I just finished a few hours ago) I’m not sure what to do. The school dedicated quiet a few weeks into this anylisis task and I really grinded, wrote atlease 9 practice essays but it did not seem to have paid off.
I seem to have some sort of text anxiety which makes me blank in my English sacs. Right before my sac I could feel myself saying you’re not gonna finish, it’s not going to work and that’s exactly what happened.
I am aiming for a 42+ in English, I’m going to do a lot more TIMED practice to get over this but I don’t know if I can achieve my goal at this point.
Any advice would mean the world :)

Hey, by the sounds of things you've worked really hard. First things first, don't beat yourself about mediocre scores in SAC's at the end of the day the exam is the most important thing. By the sounds of things, it's a more a mental struggle of you not believing in your capabilities. English takes a lot of just faith knowing that you will get what you work for. Trust your skills and your knowledge.

It's great that you've written a lot of essays but did you get them marked and look at what can be improved, because that is what is of most importance. Furthermore, just writing essays doesn't guarantee good grades. Vary up the way you study English, plan and unpack prompts, annotate AA articles, make cheat sheets. There are so many ways to study for English, so keep yourself interested in the subject through variety.