Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 06:49:23 pm

Author Topic: Reading Comprehension  (Read 921 times)  Share 

CosTheta

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Reading Comprehension
« on: March 14, 2019, 02:55:53 pm »
Hi All,
Can anyone guide me who have taken the test in recent years,how hard are the reading comprehension and verbal reasoning exams?
I am asking this because I attended a few Henderson's workshops and exams and found the reading comprehension passages and verbal reasoning  really tricky to comprehend and having said that I do a lot of reading - newspaper/novels but I found that the mock exams were on a different level altogether. I mean there were many words which I had never seen before  :-\

Is it just that hendersons are preparing the kids to a much higher level than the content that actually appears in these exams.   

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:57:24 pm by CosTheta »

pangushi

Re: Reading Comprehension
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 04:18:46 pm »
Hi All,
Can anyone guide me who have taken the test in recent years,how hard are the reading comprehension and verbal reasoning exams?
I am asking this because I attended a few Henderson's workshops and exams and found the reading comprehension passages and verbal reasoning  really tricky to comprehend and having said that I do a lot of reading - newspaper/novels but I found that the mock exams were on a different level altogether. I mean there were many words which I had never seen before  :-\

Is it just that hendersons are preparing the kids to a much higher level than the content that actually appears in these exams.   

Cheers

I have not sat the test (yet) but from what I have heard from other people, apparently hendersons provide harder materials than the actual test.

Hope I have helped in some way  :)

CosTheta

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 08:50:56 pm »
Thanks Pangushi, gives a bit of breather...phew...

Can anybody who has been to Hendersons and have attempted the exam in recent years share their two cents as well........

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 12:28:11 pm »
Hi there!

I took the selective school test 2 years ago and most tutoring places (like Henderson's and Edu Kingdom) give quite difficult pieces to comprehend.
There are certain sites lurking around on the internet like Khan academy (espeically the SAT prep which helped soo much). Also try attempting the reading test on the selective school website and go other and complete similar questions to those you got incorrect.

Hopefully this helps  :) PM me if you need anything
2019: 1/2 Psych

2020: English, Bio, Chem, Psych, HHD, Methods

2021: bye bye psych :D

CosTheta

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 09:51:59 am »
Thanks k.herc ! Your comment helps restoring my confidence, I was quite perplexed looking at the pieces wondering how an 8th grader is suppose to know so much vocabulary...Also how was the verbal reasoning test, was it relatively easier as well when compared to hendersons/edukingdom ?