Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:06:06 am

Author Topic: Last minute tips for the selective school exams  (Read 177177 times)  Share 

horsayneighneigh

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Last minute tips for the selective school exams
« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2018, 04:46:43 pm »
Thanks for this, it really boosted my confidence. I really want to get into a good school, wish me luck! Do you have any tips for answering maths questions, and thinking of things to write in case of a narrative in the exam? Thank you :D

kidinthecornergoingforatletico

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #151 on: September 09, 2018, 10:11:16 pm »
+3
The selective school tests aren't that difficult to crack, but one can mess up the test in a lot of ways. Here are a few tips to keep you from mucking up your test and not getting into the school you want:
1. DO NOT write in pencil for the writing examinations. The examiners will find it untidy and an eyesore to read, and in general may have a bad first impression on your piece. I think that it may be impossible to get a superior in writing if you use pencil, as it is one of the instructions.
2. Know your weaknesses. Take various practice tests and select the questions that you guessed or were incorrect in and attempt them again. Chances are there are a few handy concepts you didn't know before you did the test, so study them and turn them into one of your strength.
3. RUN to the bathroom during your bathroom break. SPRINT. If you're lucky and fast, you can get an early spot in the bathroom, which is crucial. I know i raced to the bathroom and it definitely took some pressure off me during the exam.
4. REMEMBER that 1/4 of the kids there are just taking the test as if it were just some exam on some Saturday with some results. If you are serious about the test, you've already beaten a quarter of these kids!
5. Do not talk about the test with your friends during the break. I know I did and it really tensed me up and probably took away a few ten seconds of my time (which is a lot in this exam) just thinking about my past tests. And then on the day of the results the people who said they found the numerical easy (as I found it as a sibling of death) got averages for it while I got a superior.
6. Don't be super stressed. A little bit of stress if good for you in a test. Too little can cause a lack of thinking in the brain, just like if you have too much stress.

I took all of these tips, and now I'm off to Suzanne next year via first round with 4 superiors while I barely studied.

[_gLiTcH_]

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2018, 07:39:08 pm »
What to bring:
-4 hb/2b pencils and two black/blue pens
-confidence
-knowledge that at least 1/4 of the kids there are just taking this test casually
-knowledge not to write in pencils
-knowing that if you found the test hard, don't stress: it's meant to make you feel like a failure in life and make you commit suicide (it's like 2-3 years above your year level)
 I barely studied and I got in with 4 sups. I just wasn't too stressed and stuck to these rules

SazWaz

• Adventurer
« Reply #153 on: October 14, 2018, 10:40:05 pm »
+2
Hey Guys,
I'm a year 9 student who received year 10 entry into MacRob. If you have any questions about the year 8 or 9 MacRobertson and year 9 John Monash selective tests or interview process, feel free to reply to ask. I'll be willing to share my experience as well if that assists anyone.

Good Luck to those trying,
SazWaz

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #154 on: October 23, 2018, 07:51:42 pm »
Hii,I’m a year 7 giving the test next year!I find maths n numerical easy but verbal and reading comprehension r hard.any tips for that?How much people take the test?TY in advance(talking about MHS,MACROB,NOSSAL,SUZANNE TEST)

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #155 on: October 23, 2018, 07:53:13 pm »
Hii,I’m a year 7 giving the test next year!I find maths n numerical easy but verbal and reading comprehension r hard.any tips for that?How much people take the test?TY in advance(talking about MHS,MACROB,NOSSAL,SUZANNE TEST)

SazWaz

• Adventurer
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2018, 08:35:11 pm »

Hi,
For verbal comprehension, I'd recommend going to Hendersons as they give you content that would be similar to what appears on the test as well as tips on how to tackle certain questions. For reading, I'd recommend doing some practise tests to improve your ability. As for how many people, when I tried out in year 8, I think there were over 2,000. Hope this was helpful!

SazWaz

archie043

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #157 on: November 14, 2018, 04:23:20 pm »

Hi,
For verbal comprehension, I'd recommend going to Hendersons as they give you content that would be similar to what appears on the test as well as tips on how to tackle certain questions. For reading, I'd recommend doing some practise tests to improve your ability. As for how many people, when I tried out in year 8, I think there were over 2,000. Hope this was helpful!

SazWaz

Do you have any links or resources for the practise test?

SazWaz

• Adventurer
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2018, 04:28:31 pm »
Do you have any links or resources for the practise test?

Hi, I will attach a link with some practise tests. These were off the VIC governments selective schools website in case anyone was wondering
https://www.education.vic.gov.au/parents/learning/Pages/selective-entry-practice.aspx#

Good Luck,
SazWaz

HappyMe

• Adventurer
  • Everything happens for a reason
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2018, 07:08:19 pm »
Hey guys! I'm actually new to ATAR Notes and was studying for selective schooling when I came across this..so i had a question in mind for a school that is going to be my first preference, Mac Rob. I am a muslim girl who is currently going to a private school and my question was about the enviroment around Mac Rob and also..(this is so weird but) are there any muslim girls in Mac Rob? and is Mac Rob a religous school that promotes a specific religion by doing religous activites and such? ALso if someone goes there, can you please answer how you feel about going to Mac Rob and if you like being there compared to other schools you have been to. 
2021 - Psychology 1/2
2022 - Psychology 3/4, Further 3/4, Biology 1/2, Legal 1/2, English 1/2, H&HD 1/2
2023 - Biology 3/4, Legal 3/4, English 3/4, H&HD 3/4

lacitam

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2018, 07:31:05 pm »
Hey guys! I'm actually new to ATAR Notes and was studying for selective schooling when I came across this..so i had a question in mind for a school that is going to be my first preference, Mac Rob. I am a muslim girl who is currently going to a private school and my question was about the enviroment around Mac Rob and also..(this is so weird but) are there any muslim girls in Mac Rob? and is Mac Rob a religous school that promotes a specific religion by doing religous activites and such? ALso if someone goes there, can you please answer how you feel about going to Mac Rob and if you like being there compared to other schools you have been to.
A very close friend of mine went to Macrob and she said there are things that are bad about the school (as with any other). Note that there has been a student protest (search up 'macrob protests and it should come uo) about the teachers, so that's something to look into.

I can't help with the religion one but for comparison, MelbHigh had a few from religious backgrounds . I don't think we did anything religious tbh either.

HappyMe

• Adventurer
« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2018, 12:20:24 pm »
A very close friend of mine went to Macrob and she said there are things that are bad about the school (as with any other). Note that there has been a student protest (search up 'macrob protests and it should come uo) about the teachers, so that's something to look into.

I can't help with the religion one but for comparison, MelbHigh had a few from religious backgrounds . I don't think we did anything religious tbh either.

Ohhh, I see. I did actually hear about the girl that, well, left poop around the school and protested about a specific teacher. Though, I'll look into Melbourne High too. Anyways, thank you for sharing the information, I really appreciate it  :)
2021 - Psychology 1/2
2022 - Psychology 3/4, Further 3/4, Biology 1/2, Legal 1/2, English 1/2, H&HD 1/2

AR1472

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2018, 07:47:22 am »
+3

Hey! I currently go to MacRob and don’t worry, there are a lot of Muslims here ^^ a lot of my friends are Muslims and there’s no discrimination here at all. Also, MacRob isn’t really religious. I do believe that you can sign up for religion at the beginning of the year but I didn’t and no one I know did, so it’s not a big thing here.

So if I’m honest about coming to MacRob, I will say there are days I regret coming here. I’m not the smartest of students and I often feel like I’m failing school at this point. But the competitive environment keeps me going (so in that sense, it’s a good school). I don’t like the teachers much though. I mostly self study. But I do think leaving my old school was the right choice, because although my old school had better teachers, MacRob is giving me better opportunities simply through the students (because everyone here is keen to do well).

Hope this helps!

HappyMe

• Adventurer
« Reply #163 on: December 16, 2018, 07:25:20 pm »
Hey! I currently go to MacRob and don’t worry, there are a lot of Muslims here ^^ a lot of my friends are Muslims and there’s no discrimination here at all. Also, MacRob isn’t really religious. I do believe that you can sign up for religion at the beginning of the year but I didn’t and no one I know did, so it’s not a big thing here.

So if I’m honest about coming to MacRob, I will say there are days I regret coming here. I’m not the smartest of students and I often feel like I’m failing school at this point. But the competitive environment keeps me going (so in that sense, it’s a good school). I don’t like the teachers much though. I mostly self study. But I do think leaving my old school was the right choice, because although my old school had better teachers, MacRob is giving me better opportunities simply through the students (because everyone here is keen to do well).

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your honest and informative feedback! It's really good to know that everyone there is appreciated and I've had a couple of people message me to reasure me (but it was really good to have someone going to Mac Rob give feedback). I have heard some slight protests against the teachers in Mac Rob (mentioned in the above posts). However, (I believe what you said is quite right) the students there are extremely hardworking and would most definitely be competitive (the atmosphere I'm looking for).

The school I go to now is a good school with kind teachers and students but I feel that I definitely can excel more in some things that are not provided by my school. So in short, I want to get in Mac Rob becasue of the oppurtunuties that it caters the students with.
Again, I thank you for your honest perception of the competitiveness and hardships. I definitely think that would be a problem if I went there too. Though like you said, it would only help the other students to push forward.

Thank you for helping, I really appreciate it!  :)
2021 - Psychology 1/2

AR1472

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #164 on: December 17, 2018, 09:26:47 pm »
+1
Thank you so much for your honest and informative feedback! It's really good to know that everyone there is appreciated and I've had a couple of people message me to reasure me (but it was really good to have someone going to Mac Rob give feedback). I have heard some slight protests against the teachers in Mac Rob (mentioned in the above posts). However, (I believe what you said is quite right) the students there are extremely hardworking and would most definitely be competitive (the atmosphere I'm looking for).

The school I go to now is a good school with kind teachers and students but I feel that I definitely can excel more in some things that are not provided by my school. So in short, I want to get in Mac Rob becasue of the oppurtunuties that it caters the students with.
Again, I thank you for your honest perception of the competitiveness and hardships. I definitely think that would be a problem if I went there too. Though like you said, it would only help the other students to push forward.

Thank you for helping, I really appreciate it!  :)

No problem and I’m glad I could help! If you have any other questions about MacRob feel free to ask and I’ll try to answer them to the best of my ability ^^