Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:12:45 pm

Author Topic: What subject should I drop?  (Read 11532 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: What subject should I drop?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 08:36:24 pm »
yeah now that is what im thinking too. if i would really use the those free periods to do extra work. i lowkey think i will but then you never really know do we (like you said i may end up taking naps). im just worried is there a point of a safety net if i do bad in the subject tho? like bio although i could wrap my head arond the yr 11 content, year 12 is so much to learn that i don't know if i cant invest so much time in that. Same with maths i need time to either practice and excel in it. i guess my biggest fear from dropping bio is that what if the HSC presents a curve ball and i screw an exam up.

Hey! My thinking has always been that you work more efficiently when you have more to do - That's why I load myself up so heavily at uni, because when I don't have as much to do, I'm so bloody unproductive ;) you get more done when you've got more left to do! :)

Obviously the extra time would be great, but as you say, you must put it towards something productive or it is just lost time! Now this doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be work - It could even be sleep, if the extra sleep will improve your ability to do well throughout the year. Like, if you are giving up on your 8 hours to do Bio study, then dropping Bio to get the full 8 hours sleep is definitely a good move. It's about making a change that will (realistically) benefit you in some way, shape or form :)

It sounds like you are coping pretty well with your 12 units right now - I'd hang in there! Especially since you are already halfway through the year already. Unless you start seriously struggling, I think it could be worth seeing it through to the end now ;D if you start struggling, then seriously just drop whichever one you dislike more :)

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 10:21:43 pm »
+1
Personally, I'll stick with 12 units as it just gives you a safety net. Although with 10 units, the spare time given, I'll probably chill instead of using the time to effectively study. All in all, its all about you. How much effort are you willing to put in for the prize!

Hey! My thinking has always been that you work more efficiently when you have more to do - That's why I load myself up so heavily at uni, because when I don't have as much to do, I'm so bloody unproductive ;) you get more done when you've got more left to do! :)

Obviously the extra time would be great, but as you say, you must put it towards something productive or it is just lost time! Now this doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be work - It could even be sleep, if the extra sleep will improve your ability to do well throughout the year. Like, if you are giving up on your 8 hours to do Bio study, then dropping Bio to get the full 8 hours sleep is definitely a good move. It's about making a change that will (realistically) benefit you in some way, shape or form :)

It sounds like you are coping pretty well with your 12 units right now - I'd hang in there! Especially since you are already halfway through the year already. Unless you start seriously struggling, I think it could be worth seeing it through to the end now ;D if you start struggling, then seriously just drop whichever one you dislike more :)

I guess you right in terms of ive done half now may as well finish it off. That is what my parents also said tbh and like i get it to no point in leaving something half way there. It isnt like i loose sleep coz i dont do much bio lol it is just easy to get certain concepts but the exams are like big pains and oh lord. im guessing to hang in there till i get my marks back for the half yearlies and then see where to go from there.
Thank you both jamonwindeyer and Aaron12038488 for your time and help. Really appreciated :))

adibh092

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 05:53:31 pm »
Hi, I am also facing a similar problem. As of now, my subjects are:

Extension 1 Maths - 37%
Advanced Maths - 70%
Advanced English - 80%
Physics - 60%
Chemistry - 53%
Economics - 66%
Business Studies - 60%

I want to drop Extension 1 Maths and do Advanced Maths, but my friends have advised me against it. I am a slacker at heart, and I know that I will never be able to keep up with the workload. Regarding my marks, as stated above, the only subject I truly struggle with is Extension 1 Maths, and I am also going to drop Business Studies. My marks may not look great, but my ranks are. I am coming 1st for Economics, and am in the top range for English, and in the middle range for Physics and Chemistry. I also want to do only 10 units for my HSC. Could anyone please help me with my current dilemma?

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 06:02:03 pm »
Hi, I am also facing a similar problem. As of now, my subjects are:

Extension 1 Maths - 37%
Advanced Maths - 70%
Advanced English - 80%
Physics - 60%
Chemistry - 53%
Economics - 66%
Business Studies - 60%

I want to drop Extension 1 Maths and do Advanced Maths, but my friends have advised me against it. I am a slacker at heart, and I know that I will never be able to keep up with the workload. Regarding my marks, as stated above, the only subject I truly struggle with is Extension 1 Maths, and I am also going to drop Business Studies. My marks may not look great, but my ranks are. I am coming 1st for Economics, and am in the top range for English, and in the middle range for Physics and Chemistry. I also want to do only 10 units for my HSC. Could anyone please help me with my current dilemma?
What is your own gut feeling? Which way are you leaning?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 06:02:57 pm »

if you think dropping to 2u will be better, it probably is. take it this way - will you need 3u for a course you want to do in uni? are you bothered to study? if the answer is no, then dropping might be a good idea. i dropped 3u to 2u for my hsc and i'm so much more relaxed about maths, and i'm also doing a lot better. dropping gives you a lot less stress as well :-) as for dropping business, judging from the percentages you've provided, you're doing better in it than other subjects. i can't say dropping business is great, because i didn't (still don't like it) but the year 12 course is better than prelim. keep it as a backup for now because you're doing better, and if you can't stand it, drop it then. :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 06:38:15 pm »
if you think dropping to 2u will be better, it probably is. take it this way - will you need 3u for a course you want to do in uni? are you bothered to study? if the answer is no, then dropping might be a good idea. i dropped 3u to 2u for my hsc and i'm so much more relaxed about maths, and i'm also doing a lot better. dropping gives you a lot less stress as well :-) as for dropping business, judging from the percentages you've provided, you're doing better in it than other subjects. i can't say dropping business is great, because i didn't (still don't like it) but the year 12 course is better than prelim. keep it as a backup for now because you're doing better, and if you can't stand it, drop it then. :-)
Yeah I would keep business if you could, its not too labour/stress intensive compared to some other subjects you have...you can get a band 4 in business pretty much from memorising the syllabus...

Claudiaa

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 06:48:14 pm »
I'm in a similar position! I really want to drop Legal Studies... I feel as though I don't have enough time to study for it and my other marks are dropping as a result of that. I am struggling with the workload in Extension 1 Maths but I don't want to drop as I think if I spend more time on it I will get better.... But my advanced Math marks have also dropped because I have been focusing too much on 3u! But if I do decide to drop... I will have 10 units and so far everyone is advising me to not have 10 units as it is too risky. What should I do? (If I drop legal I will have so much more free time)

I am currently rank 1 in Economics, rank 2 in Modern History, rank 3 in Advanced English, rank 6 in Extension 1 Maths, rank 9 in Studies of Religion 1, rank 15 in Advanced Maths, rank 28 in legal studies
HSC 2018: English Advanced | Math Ext 1 | Studies of Religion I | Economics | Legal | Modern History

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 07:24:27 pm »
I'm in a similar position! I really want to drop Legal Studies... I feel as though I don't have enough time to study for it and my other marks are dropping as a result of that. I am struggling with the workload in Extension 1 Maths but I don't want to drop as I think if I spend more time on it I will get better.... But my advanced Math marks have also dropped because I have been focusing too much on 3u! But if I do decide to drop... I will have 10 units and so far everyone is advising me to not have 10 units as it is too risky. What should I do? (If I drop legal I will have so much more free time)

I am currently rank 1 in Economics, rank 2 in Modern History, rank 3 in Advanced English, rank 6 in Extension 1 Maths, rank 9 in Studies of Religion 1, rank 15 in Advanced Maths, rank 28 in legal studies

i do 10 units and it's faring out quite well - you have a lot more time to study for all your subjects. dropping 3u was the best decision for me (although i did it to fill up units in prelim). however, if you think you can do better, that's okay, continue it! not trying to discourage you from dropping legal, but it does get a lot better in hsc. ask your teachers and parents for advice, you'll find they're really helpful on this type of stuff. :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Claudiaa

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 07:56:42 pm »
i do 10 units and it's faring out quite well - you have a lot more time to study for all your subjects. dropping 3u was the best decision for me (although i did it to fill up units in prelim). however, if you think you can do better, that's okay, continue it! not trying to discourage you from dropping legal, but it does get a lot better in hsc. ask your teachers and parents for advice, you'll find they're really helpful on this type of stuff. :-)

Hey ! Thanks for your reply!  I definitely want to continue with 3u even though it would make my life 10x easier if I did drop... But yea I really want to drop legal but i am being advised against it by everybody! The only thing is that religion is really bothering me as I can't drop it ...but if i do carry on with 12 units my mindset will be to practically neglect either legal or sor1...almost my way as having 11 units by having a bluffer of a subject (not sure if that makes sense). These decisions are super hard to make but I will take on the advice of my teacher to decide to drop after term 1 of year 12
HSC 2018: English Advanced | Math Ext 1 | Studies of Religion I | Economics | Legal | Modern History

stephjones

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 12:29:23 pm »
+1
I found that my ranks and marks went up in my subjects because I had so much more time to study for and comprehend them, rather than spreading myself so thin, so keep that in mind as well! (:
HSC 2017 (ATAR - 98.40) - English Advanced (95), English Extension 1 (47), Mathematics (92), Mathematics Extension 1 (43), Modern History (92), Biology (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48)

USYD 2018 - Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) and Bachelor of Arts

adibh092

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2017, 09:30:57 am »
I am also in a similar position, except I am doing the Preliminary Course. Here are my subjects:

Extension 1 Maths - 34%
Advanced Maths - 71%
Advanced English - 80%
Physics - 60%
Chemistry - 89%
Economics - 66%
Business Studies - 60%

I was planning to drop Extension 1 Maths, but after an abundant amount of reasoning on why I shouldn't drop it from my friends, I have considered to not drop it. My marks are altogether low because I do not study all that often. As of now, I am stuck on whether or not I should drop Economics or Business Studies. Please help. :D

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2017, 10:19:55 am »
+1
I am also in a similar position, except I am doing the Preliminary Course. Here are my subjects:

Extension 1 Maths - 34%
Advanced Maths - 71%
Advanced English - 80%
Physics - 60%
Chemistry - 89%
Economics - 66%
Business Studies - 60%

I was planning to drop Extension 1 Maths, but after an abundant amount of reasoning on why I shouldn't drop it from my friends, I have considered to not drop it. My marks are altogether low because I do not study all that often. As of now, I am stuck on whether or not I should drop Economics or Business Studies. Please help. :D

Hi :)

It depends on how easily you can grasp concepts in those subjects. Economics is quite content heavy, and you're required to make links between topics and be able to analyse trends in essays. Business (going off my friend's opinion) is also content heavy, but on a smaller scale when compared to economics, and is one of the "rote-learn" subjects, so it also depends on the level of interest you have in the topics learnt. Do you get low scores in maths extension simply because of the lack of practice, or because of the concepts? If it's the latter, I would advise you to drop Extension; even though it does scale high, if you can't do any questions, your mark will be low and may not be calculated in your ATAR.

Hope this helps :)
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?