Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:18:55 pm

Author Topic: Two Exams in One Day  (Read 14679 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Two Exams in One Day
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 12:43:45 am »
Hey guys,
I have a broken arm and I have missed the business studies exam. I have applied for misadventure and illness but I don't know they are going to estimate the mark. Could you guys please help because i am freaking out.
thanks

Hey emarmma!

Okay, so first of all, don't stress. If breaking your arm isn't grounds for misadventure, nothing is, so all will definitely be fine. You'll be approved; just keep in contact with the people involved while you wait! :)

Second, your mark will be estimated based on your assessment results. This isn't just an average, my understanding is that they consider your estimated result very carefully, look at how its changed over time, etc etc. I'm not sure of details unfortunately :P

This stuff happens; I had a friend who got really bad case of influenza the morning of the exam. She did some of it but couldn't finish. She applied for illness misadventure and had a mark estimated for the sections she didn't complete. Easy! Don't let it concern you, trust me, you'll be absolutely no worse off :) I hope your recovery is speedy!! :)

carolinewang206

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
  • School: Barrenjoey
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 09:45:23 pm »
+1
2 exams in 1 day is rough! for my half yearlies, I had english and french on the first day, then economics and extension maths on the second day. We have a cafe down the road from our school, so i went and had lunch and a cup of tea there. I did some light reading over notes, did a few questions to warm me up but nothing too intense.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 10:50:56 pm »
2 exams in 1 day is rough! for my half yearlies, I had english and french on the first day, then economics and extension maths on the second day. We have a cafe down the road from our school, so i went and had lunch and a cup of tea there. I did some light reading over notes, did a few questions to warm me up but nothing too intense.

How did those half yearlies go Caroline? ;D

carolinewang206

• Forum Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 02:06:57 pm »
+1
How did those half yearlies go Caroline? ;D

Quite well! Overall really happy :)

Aaron12038488

• Trendsetter
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2017, 03:20:55 pm »
So I'm in year 11, and my half-yearlies are first day back of term 2. I can't study as I am going overseas, however I'll try a make an effort to do so. What should i do?

carolinewang206

• Forum Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2017, 06:04:07 pm »
+3
any advice would be great...

There will ALWAYS be time to study if you need it, especially on the plane. Try to write out your notes before you go then revise the notes and do some practice questions while youre away. I had yearlies pretty soon after I went to peru and china for a month. Just spend the time you would be relaxing in the hotel or something with writing an essay, or wake up half an hour early. If you can do 30 minutes- an hour a day, thats 14 hours of study. Don't just study blindly though, have an agenda and prioritise the most important tasks

chloeannbarwick

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2017, 10:23:40 am »
Two exams in one day - try having three  :-\
Get it done now, and you'll have less to do later

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2017, 12:23:58 pm »

Two exams in one day - try having three  :-\

Ouch, what are they? How is that even a thing?!?!

herb123

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 10:44:17 am »
have two double exam days in my upcoming trials rip

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2017, 07:51:51 pm »
have two double exam days in my upcoming trials rip

Ouch! Don't worry, that's pretty common in Trials, everyone is in the same boat! ;D

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2017, 11:09:58 am »
Hey Guys,

I really, really need help with this exam time table on a particular day. I have my final major draft for extension 2 due on the 20th of June. My Maths exam goes from 2:00-3:20, and my Legal Studies exam is from 3:30-4:45. So ext2, Maths and Legal are all on the same day.

There are only ten minutes between each exam! And because I have special provisions my exams actually finish ten minutes later, this means that I barely get a few minutes break until my next exam. I've tried everything in order to move it, but I can't do anything and the school won't budge.

How am I supposed to cope and deal with this?

Mary x
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2017, 12:50:36 pm »
+6
Hey Guys,

I really, really need help with this exam time table on a particular day. I have my final major draft for extension 2 due on the 20th of June. My Maths exam goes from 2:00-3:20, and my Legal Studies exam is from 3:30-4:45. So ext2, Maths and Legal are all on the same day.

There are only ten minutes between each exam! And because I have special provisions my exams actually finish ten minutes later, this means that I barely get a few minutes break until my next exam. I've tried everything in order to move it, but I can't do anything and the school won't budge.

How am I supposed to cope and deal with this?

Mary x

Hey Mary! That's a rotten combo  - I think the reason your school is refusing to move could be because you technically only have two exams on the day, and the other is a submission. Still absolutely unfair to me, but that's probably their reasoning.

I'd not give up on trying to get something moved. Have your parents call the school and make a fuss - You are obviously at a disadvantage to other students in your cohort if they aren't giving you adequate time to rest (who the heck puts exams ten minutes apart?). The nature of bureaucracy is that the loud people get listened to, so if you have your parents/guardians get involved, chances are that they will be more inclined to actually pay attention. Having the exam moved to the morning, or have you start ten minutes later so you can have a rest, or something is not a tough ask.

Don't count on something being moved to another day, but push them to give you some leeway. Doing two exams back to back with no break is absolutely absurd, especially when everyone else will get a rest!

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2017, 03:16:39 pm »
Hey Mary! That's a rotten combo  - I think the reason your school is refusing to move could be because you technically only have two exams on the day, and the other is a submission. Still absolutely unfair to me, but that's probably their reasoning.

I'd not give up on trying to get something moved. Have your parents call the school and make a fuss - You are obviously at a disadvantage to other students in your cohort if they aren't giving you adequate time to rest (who the heck puts exams ten minutes apart?). The nature of bureaucracy is that the loud people get listened to, so if you have your parents/guardians get involved, chances are that they will be more inclined to actually pay attention. Having the exam moved to the morning, or have you start ten minutes later so you can have a rest, or something is not a tough ask.

Don't count on something being moved to another day, but push them to give you some leeway. Doing two exams back to back with no break is absolutely absurd, especially when everyone else will get a rest!

Hi Jamon,

A rotten combo indeed. My parents have also called to complain, and the only solution is to start me fifteen minutes earlier. Now, this would be ideal, if I weren't entitled to special provisions, which allows me to take five minute breaks every half an hour to calm myself down. So, I will still finish at 3.20 and have the exam at 3.30. We've tried everything, including some concerned teachers. The school won't budge.

Do you have any tips on what to do in those ten minutes?

Thanks,

Mary
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2017, 09:27:32 pm »
That's disgustingly inconsiderate of your needs as a student - I'd still not give up on elevating the issue to someone higher if you are up to it. Really unfair, in my opinion at least  :-[

You definitely shouldn't study in that ten minutes - Get it all done the night before. In that 10 minutes, have a drink, something to eat if you want it, and try to just clear your head. The closest I've come to being in that situation was dashing from a Maths class test to a music performance, and I just made sure to not think about either exam. Just completely rest, recuperate and recover, as best you can!

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2017, 10:22:01 am »
+1
That's disgustingly inconsiderate of your needs as a student - I'd still not give up on elevating the issue to someone higher if you are up to it. Really unfair, in my opinion at least  :-[

You definitely shouldn't study in that ten minutes - Get it all done the night before. In that 10 minutes, have a drink, something to eat if you want it, and try to just clear your head. The closest I've come to being in that situation was dashing from a Maths class test to a music performance, and I just made sure to not think about either exam. Just completely rest, recuperate and recover, as best you can!

Thanks Jamon, I'll try to see if I can continue to push for a change but I doubt it.

Mary
Hey!