Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 08:35:22 am

Author Topic: Regular study  (Read 1383 times)

aadharmg

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Regular study
« on: October 28, 2017, 01:19:11 pm »
Tips on incorporating Adv English as part of my routine? I don't want to remain a part of those kids that study only for exams when it comes to English. Please suggest ways and/or resources through which maybe I can do even 30 minutes of effective, efficient study everyday which ensures that come exam time, I much more prepared than others.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Regular study
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 01:39:04 pm »
+1
I think a great way to incorporate study, beyond making notes and such, is writing practice paragraphs. Make up a question or a topic and see if you can write a paragraph in response to it, based on whatever text/module you are currently studying! Give a couple to your teacher once a fortnight and ask for some feedback.

You definitely don't need to be writing a practice paragraph a day though - Heck, even one or two on a weekend throughout the year is a fantastic goal ;D

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
  • Dedicate the present to working on yourself
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 02:05:25 pm »
Hi there! I was one of those kids that studied for English when the exams were right around the corner, and I can totally understand the feeling of wanting to prepare earlier instead. I personally recommend reading your prescribed and related texts early then start compiling quotes, resources etc. from them all. Preparing your notes early allows you to immediately start writing practice essays and paragraphs. If you plan to revise consistently and constantly, I think even writing paragraphs, creating essay plans or practicing writing an essay every weekend or a couple times a week is already super good. After, give those in to your English teacher and get feedback on them!

I think the best routine one can have for English is getting the quotes and notes stuff out of the way earlier, then spending a chunk of time in your routine doing practice, practice, practice. Practice writing, remembering your quotes, creating essay plans, getting feedback etc.
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies
2018: Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) @ USYD

"Everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 02:19:17 pm »
Yeah I just made sure to start working on essays for marking as soon as possible (typed preferably at the start so you can consistently change them with feedback). I would also highly recommend looking beyond the easy websites - sparknotes etc. if you would like something to do! I never personally used any website like sparknotes etc. for any of my essays in the HSC as I feel like, since I started early, I should use my time to really research well and find great analysis (university level ones are great!). To that extent, I'd definitely suggest joining the state library of NSW. I did so for ext 2 english before i dropped but even after that it was great for finding really sophisticated analysis' of texts eg. with access to jstor and it also has its own section with some info on texts for hsc students! Another tip for researching is say you are doing brave new world and you want to look up political analysis of brave new world - I would suggest something really simple! Instead of looking up: 'Political analysis of Brave New World' try: 'Political analysis of Brave New World pdf'. Pdf files typically include university style/academic writings on the topic and are great for gradually making your analysis more sophisticated so you can stand out from the rest! Hope that helps :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

matthewtropea

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 12:15:21 am »
+6
Research!!!!! Trust me, if you devote even 10-15 minutes a day just reading one academic article or journal piece about your text, the composer, the context or whatever, it pays off in bucketloads come assessment time since just from reading you'll have developed a really comprehensive and detailed understanding of whatever text you're working with. (Please try and avoid Sparknotes, Cliffnotes, Shmoop or whatever other study guide website comes up. These are not intended to be comprehensive and detailed analyses of text and every single HSC student will be using these websites - any ideas you take from them will be used by 30000 other people.)

I'd also suggest maybe setting aside some time just to focus on an area of English you feel weak with. For me, that's definitely working on developing a more sophisticated expression so I like to just write a few practice sentences/paragraphs quickly and then go through and go all nitpicky - editing and editing and editing until I come up with a final piece of writing which I'm happy with and then I go and show my teacher to get feedback.

jjuunnee

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 09:12:34 am »
+1
Although this won't directly link to adv english I suggest that you do heaps of reading throughout the year-- can be anything eg. books, articles
I find that this helps me a lot especially when it comes to creative writing; everytime I read something that I really like I write it down, save it for later, and hope that I'm able to incorporate it into a narrative or something. It's also good as you can look at different writing styles, and in a way it may also help with improving your skills for reading tasks!
Another thing I suggest you do: quote tables! But I recommend that you make a massive one with your friends/classmates straight after studying a text, so everyone can contribute  and in the end you'll have multiple ideas that will hopefully fit under every rubric point.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 09:16:05 am by jjuunnee »