Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:43:49 am

Author Topic: Feedback for reflection on Module A - Textual conversations (HagSeed + Tempest)  (Read 2022 times)

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
Hey!

I'm wondering if anybody could look over my reflection on Module A - Textual conversations, in relation to Hag Seed and The Tempest, and give me some feedback??? 
It's part B of an upcoming assessment task.

If someone replies I'll send it through.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Feel free to copy/paste it into a reply and I'd be happy to give a few pointers! We mark on the public forum so that others might see it and see some things they might benefit from as well ;D

InnererSchweinehund

• Forum Regular
Thank you so much!!
I have attached a screenshot of the instructions too. I believe on the day we receive an actual question to reply to.

Through the critical study of both Shakespeare’s The Tempest and Atwood’s contemporary appropriation in her Hag Seed, I have been led to realise how the author’s context and values influence their writing, and hence the meaning within in. Throughout Shakespeare’s play The Tempest, it is undoubtedly clear that Shakespeare employs colonial themes of ‘First Nations’ and traditional ideas of the female role in society, and revenge, in order to produce a text with meaning that relates to a 17th century audience. However, as modern female responders, we struggle to resonate with these values, feeling especially disconnected due to our lack of representation within literature during this period. Therefore, the influence of Shakespeare’s play on Atwood led her to create an appropriation of the play through her novel Hag Seed which is both highly insightful and successful in connecting with a contemporary audience. Her clever and modern exploration and representation of the themes of imprisonment, vengeance and forgiveness which are present throughout the Tempest, assisted me in understanding how changes in context causes changes in values. For example, Atwood’s 21st century context, where women are no longer depicted as powerless and have continually growing respect within society caused her to convey her feminist values, through strong female characters with “physical descriptions to give them depth and emphasise their value” in Hag Seed. Nonetheless, Atwood’s appropriation also assisted me in releasing the timelessness of themes of human emotions and experiences, hence the reason behind her creation of the complex Felix as a representation of Prospero, as she states, “Show me a character totally without anxieties and I will show you a boring book.” Here, she effectively demonstrates that without a complex character who has suffered much hardship, a modern audience wouldn’t be able to draw meaning from, or emphasise with him, and hence they would be further detached from the values of The Tempest. Therefore, the critical studies of both books has enabled me to understand how composers are influenced by texts, contexts, and values, and how this shapes meaning.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Cool! So good job bringing quotes in; the point of this is of course to still approach it like an essay in some ways. The "reflection" means using a personal voice and less formal language, but the focus is still textual knowledge and comparison. In that sense, make sure your quotes have techniques attached. Although it is a reflection, you still want to say, "Atwood's use of THIS TECHNIQUE achieves THIS and it resonates with me in THIS WAY." That sort of thing! Like, the fact you are bringing in your personal response is great, but there still needs to be some analysis behind that.

I'd also like to see more comparison between the texts. How are they different, in terms of the ideas presented and how they are explored? Do they support each other? Contest each other? What specifically about Atwood's makes it resonate more strongly with you (In terms of techniques). It's all about that deeper diving that shows the marker you are strongly considering the texts against each other, a key aspect of Module A.

Just a few ideas - I hope they are helpful! ;D

InnererSchweinehund

• Forum Regular

Just a few ideas - I hope they are helpful! ;D

Thanks that's super helpful! I really had no idea where to go with it!!

JoeyLad02

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if you could please check over my intro for these texts for the question, "Does Hag Seed offer new insights about redemption or simply affirm those offered in The Tempest?"

Intro:
Whilst ‘Hag-Seed’ contextually differs from ‘The Tempest’, it does not offer new insights about the process of redemption. It is merely an appropriation of ‘The Tempest’ that clearly affirms the redemptive process. Accordingly, this process towards redemption is explored by both texts through characters who are consumed by their own suffering that must undergo a process in which they recognise their own folly and consequently initiates the plot for revenge in order to achieve redemption. ‘The Tempest’ is a play written by William Shakespeare during the Elizabethan period. ‘Hag-Seed’ is a contemporary novel written by Margaret Atwood based upon Shakespeare’s, ‘The Tempest’.

InnererSchweinehund

• Forum Regular
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if you could please check over my intro for these texts for the question, "Does Hag Seed offer new insights about redemption or simply affirm those offered in The Tempest?"

Intro:
Whilst ‘Hag-Seed’ contextually differs from ‘The Tempest’, it does not offer new insights about the process of redemption. It is merely an appropriation of ‘The Tempest’ that clearly affirms the redemptive process. Accordingly, this process towards redemption is explored by both texts through characters who are consumed by their own suffering that must undergo a process in which they recognise their own folly and consequently initiates the plot for revenge in order to achieve redemption. ‘The Tempest’ is a play written by William Shakespeare during the Elizabethan period. ‘Hag-Seed’ is a contemporary novel written by Margaret Atwood based upon Shakespeare’s, ‘The Tempest’.

Hi!
So we are just finishing this topic now and I like your ideas, but would probably structure an introduction a little bit differently.

Eg.
‘The Tempest’ is a play that was written by Shakespeare during the Elizabethan period, that explores * the process towards redemption ...*, whilst Atwood's contemporary ‘Hag-Seed’ is an appropriation of the play that continues these ideas through * characters who are consumed by their own suffering and must  recognise their own folly in order to achieve redemption*. Therefore it is evident that 'Hag Seed' does not offer new insights about redemption, but rather simply reaffirms those of The Tempest in order to * better resonate with a contemporary audience*.

I haven't explicitly studied this idea so I couldn't provide exact examples so the *   * is where you can insert your ideas. If you wanted to add more information / context, I would usually do it between the thesis and the last sentence.

Hope this helps a bit!