Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:24:01 am

Author Topic: ENGLISH :) module A- intertextual connections  (Read 1398 times)

richardzzz

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
ENGLISH :) module A- intertextual connections
« on: February 01, 2019, 05:10:48 pm »
hey does anyone know how to analyse intertextual connections as I'm struggling with it! I just need a brief answer! thanks so much

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
Re: ENGLISH :) module A- intertextual connections
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 05:26:52 pm »
+1
hey does anyone know how to analyse intertextual connections as I'm struggling with it! I just need a brief answer! thanks so much

Hey!

Module A is based on a lot of comparisons with your main text and the sub-text (For e.g. 'The Tempest' by Shakespeare would be my main and 'Hagseed' by Atwood would be the sub). So you'd look to compare the context, themes, purpose and techniques within both texts and talk about how they are connected/disconnected from these factors. Thus, when you write your essay, you could do a paragraph on each text and then one to compare or compare throughout your essay, I believe the second option is favoured but I'd do what your English teacher prefers for internals. Does this make sense? If not, feel free to PM me :)

Hope this helped!
meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

walkmik

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 02:09:27 pm »
+1
Not sure if this is still relevant for you but often inter-textual relationships can be sorted in 2 categories. Implicit and Explicit.

Implicit is where a different text is referred to but not explicitly named.
Eg/ 'Ode to a Nightingale' by John Keats refrences Edmund Spencer's 'Faery Queen' when he mentions 'magical casements' which is also mentioned in 'Faery Queen'

Explicit is where another text is quoted or named within another.
Eg/ In the book 'Sixty Lights' the characters often refer to 'Jane Eyre' and name characters and events from it.

When analysing why these are used it's always good to consider the:
1. Author's intention. What did they want the audience to think/feel/know?
2. The context/situation where both texts mentioned and their similarities/differences.
3. The audience reception/understanding. You can be the 'audience' you refer to in answers.

Hope this helps!
'What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?' -Van Gogh

Pearlmilktea

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 02:04:03 pm »
Hey!

So I totally get how confusing it can get especially when the texts may be different forms and from completely different time periods.

I really recommend looking at the syllabus and using it as a framework for your notes and organising your points.

I'll keep this brief :)
Resonances and dissonances i.e. aligning and colliding / similarities and differences
Examples you could use:
  • Context e.g. time period, importance of religion, politics at the time, dominant beliefs
  • Portrayal of characters - are they the same, are certain qualities highlighted and others ignored, are characters removed completely?
  • Language differences - e.g. modernisation of language (such as Shakespeare translated to modern language), language removed, language kept the same
  • Form differences - book, film, play

Obviously these could be applied for resonances and dissonances. So characters could have stayed the same etc.  Another resonance can be timeless themes or human qualities e.g. jealously, love, hate, the pursuit of power.

What are your texts? If we have the same I may be able to give some insight into mine (LFR and King Richard III).

Hope that helps!
HSC 2018: French Continuers (92)
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

ATAR: 98.45
HSC All-rounder :)

Gracie :D

katelynnbayyouk

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 10:31:37 am »
I came across this website that helped me a lot with this module. Hope it can be of some help to you as well.

https://dc.edu.au/textual-conversations-the-tempest-hag-seed-study-guide/#Issues_values_assumptions_and_perspectives