Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:32:32 pm

Author Topic: Subject Review Requests  (Read 214045 times)  Share 

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
Re: Subject Review Requests
« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2015, 08:49:21 pm »
+1
has anyone done https://handbook.unimelb.edu.au/view/2015/MULT10013 MULT10013 Sustainability in Developing Communities

notveryasian

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2015, 11:15:28 pm »
Has anyone done MAST30022 Decision Making?
2014-2017: Bcom (Economics/Finance), Dip Maths (Discrete Maths and Operations Research) at Unimelb

ilikepeanutbutter

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2015, 09:24:26 am »
+1
If any one could review or comment on FOOD20006 Food Microbiology and Safety (https://handbook.unimelb.edu.au/view/2015/FOOD20006) it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!  :D
Bachelor of Biomedicine class of 2016 - Hoping to be a doctor one day

cterminal

« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2015, 07:09:31 pm »
Would love to read a review on
BCMB30004 Cell Signalling & Neurochemistry

since it's offered sem 2...willing to wait till end of semester!
thanks! :D

khimberleigh

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Haileybury now University of Melbourne
« Reply #139 on: September 13, 2015, 06:45:31 pm »
Applied mathematical modelling and any of the third year ATOC subjects would be swell.

Nikaf

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2015, 08:43:38 pm »
Can anyone tell me about the different Arts Foundation Subjects? Thanks :)

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2015, 08:49:10 pm »
+2
First para of my SR of Reason goes into some general details.

(I've only done the one, but knew people in almost all the others so word got around.)
If I had my time over I probably would've done Language instead, but pick one that vaguely suits something you want to major in if you get a chance. They're all pretty generic and dull from the sounds of things :P ESPECIALLY THE GODDAMN WORKSHOPS

Let me know if you have any questions :)

Nikaf

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2015, 08:46:44 pm »
Thanks so much. Looking forward to them :-\

Also, this is not specifically about subjects, but do you know what it's like to do a Diploma of Languages?

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2015, 09:08:30 pm »
+3
Thanks so much. Looking forward to them :-\

Also, this is not specifically about subjects, but do you know what it's like to do a Diploma of Languages?

Haha, tbh the content in some of the Foundation Subjects is kind of interesting, but they're not too well run and the idea that it's a helpful introduction to the skills needed in Arts subjects is total nonsense :P

Re: Diploma of Languages; not something I've had any experience in - though I have done a few Language electives which've been really good. In general it just means you have to overload in a couple of semesters, or extend your degree by half a year (I think?) but if you're keen on learning a new one or adding to your current proficiency then definitely look into it online or on open days.
Maybe read through any current subject reviews for the language you're interested in (if there are any) or just let us know which one(s) you're thinking of doing and someone else might be able to jump in with some feedback :)

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2015, 01:17:45 am »
Could someone please write a review of French 1? I'm dying to do it, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle the workload  :-\ thank you :)
Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #145 on: November 09, 2015, 12:19:52 pm »
+1
Could someone please write a review of French 1? I'm dying to do it, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle the workload  :-\ thank you :)

I didn't do it, but based on my experience with level 1 languages and what people who've done French 1 have told me, it's fairly easily manageable. Personally, I was pleasantly surprised by how little work there was to do for Spanish 1 compared to my other science-based subjects.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #146 on: November 09, 2015, 07:18:02 pm »
+1
I didn't do it, but based on my experience with level 1 languages and what people who've done French 1 have told me, it's fairly easily manageable. Personally, I was pleasantly surprised by how little work there was to do for Spanish 1 compared to my other science-based subjects.
yep can confirm level 1 chinese was one of the slowest paced subjects i have ever done without much to learn, very clear, fair and i dare say easy assessments and fun classes with a good atmosphere

EDIT: also, from what i've heard from most of my friends, the 5th language subject (eg; chinese 5, spanish 5, french 5(especially french)) is generally where things get difficult/annoying/less enjoyable. i dont think i know a single person whose done  "insertlanguagehere 6"
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:20:22 pm by spectroscopy »

nino quincampoix

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #147 on: November 09, 2015, 07:23:23 pm »
+1

A friend of mine took French 1 this year, and I helped with the h/w. It's not too hard I don't think. I think you'll find the subject easier if you engage regularly with the language. Learn the vocab, the conjugations, the grammar, etc. Trying to cram that stuff won't be easy, nor will it be pleasant. The group project from memory wasn't too hard (I helped correct it), but you'd need to learn your lines for the presentation. That's all I can say considering I didn't actually take the subject!
BSci
MD

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #148 on: November 09, 2015, 10:53:15 pm »
EDIT: also, from what i've heard from most of my friends, the 5th language subject (eg; chinese 5, spanish 5, french 5(especially french)) is generally where things get difficult/annoying/less enjoyable. i dont think i know a single person whose done  "insertlanguagehere 6"

Can confirm, Spanish 5 was a lot trickier. Although, it was still a lot of fine. French 5 has a terrible reputation; one it seems to have earned. Know plenty of people who've done it and all say it's dreadful.

Of course though, what you should really be thinking of is Spanish 1 rather than French 1

Spanish >>>>> French
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2015, 11:23:21 pm »

Of course though, what you should really be thinking of is Spanish 1 rather than French 1

Spanish >>>>> French

Confession: I learnt French from Years 7-11.  ;)
However, I really don't remember much. Thanks so much guys! I think I shall do it :)
Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne