Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:55:20 pm

Author Topic: 2018 Unit/Subject Selection Thread  (Read 15436 times)  Share 

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: 2018 Unit/Subject Selection Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2018, 05:59:47 pm »
+3
Anybody who has done any of these got some pointers  :D? Also, there's a clash between a workshop in MTH1035 and a lecture in another unit. There is only one available workshop slot for MTH1035 (due to the amount of students I'm thinking ???) so I can't really avoid it. If this doesn't get rectified, would taking MTH1030 and then selecting a different workshop slot (due to more students doing it) be a tenable solution? Surely one can just skip a lecture if there is a clash and watch it later if it was recorded? Thanks!

I did MTH1030, CHM2911 and CHM2922. I think all of these have reviews, so I’ll let them do the talking. If you still really want a personal review, please PM me.

If you ever have a clash, go to the one that requires your attendance and put a reminder to watch the lecture later. If you have a mate in that unit, get their notes and ask them to do you a favour. Or you could just change to MTH1030. Either way.

I’ve had labs over lectures before, no big deal. Just means you have to catch up later.

Side note: Nice line up. So I assume you’re going for Chem major and biochem/ math minor?

The units I’m doing are: BIO4100 - Biology research project and
BIO4200 - Advanced coursework in biology.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2018, 11:24:29 am »
+1
BCH2011 - Structure and function of cellular biomolecules
CHM2911 - Inorganic and organic chemistry
MTH1035 - Techniques for modelling (advanced)
SCI2015 - Scientific practice and communication (advanced)

BCH2022 - Metabolic basis of human diseases
CHM2922 - Spectroscopy and analytical chemistry
CHM3922 - Advanced organic chemistry
MTH2010 - Multivariable calculus

Anybody who has done any of these got some pointers  :D? Also, there's a clash between a workshop in MTH1035 and a lecture in another unit. There is only one available workshop slot for MTH1035 (due to the amount of students I'm thinking ???) so I can't really avoid it. If this doesn't get rectified, would taking MTH1030 and then selecting a different workshop slot (due to more students doing it) be a tenable solution? Surely one can just skip a lecture if there is a clash and watch it later if it was recorded? Thanks!

i did MTH1030 + MTH2010 (2017) and may write a reveiw if I have some time, didn't do MTH1035 cos cbf doing extra proofs.I think most people would just watch the lecture at home if they really wanted to do 1035.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:44:14 am by Sine »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2018, 11:39:47 am »
+4
You're all spelling ATS2681 Structure of English incorrectly. 😭😭😭

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

DailyInsanity

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Northcote HIgh School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2018, 12:59:24 pm »
I did MTH1030, CHM2911 and CHM2922. I think all of these have reviews, so I’ll let them do the talking. If you still really want a personal review, please PM me.

If you ever have a clash, go to the one that requires your attendance and put a reminder to watch the lecture later. If you have a mate in that unit, get their notes and ask them to do you a favour. Or you could just change to MTH1030. Either way.

I’ve had labs over lectures before, no big deal. Just means you have to catch up later.

Side note: Nice line up. So I assume you’re going for Chem major and biochem/ math minor?

Thanks for the response! Yeah hopefully a Chem and Biochem Major :)

K_Cotterrell

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2018, 04:21:16 pm »
I'm still deciding which will be the best Maths for me to do, and was wondering if someone could give me some advice if they've done them. Tossing up between introduction to statistical reasoning or statistical reasoning. I've done Methods in Year 12, but just want a maths that isn't too difficult as I'll probably only be doing it for a semester.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2018, 04:26:50 pm »
I'm still deciding which will be the best Maths for me to do, and was wondering if someone could give me some advice if they've done them. Tossing up between introduction to statistical reasoning or statistical reasoning. I've done Methods in Year 12, but just want a maths that isn't too difficult as I'll probably only be doing it for a semester.
haven't done SCI1020 - Introduction to statistical reasoning but apparently its a massive bludge very very easy to score highly most science students use this to fufill the math criteria.
what unit code is "statistical reasoning"?
MTH1020 is another option which is a spesh equivalent which I think is not worthwhile if you aren't continuing with math.

K_Cotterrell

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2018, 04:39:38 pm »
The unit code of statistical methods is STA1010- I'm really not sure which one to do. I don't want it to be so easy that I get bored, but at the same time I don't want it to be overly difficult.