Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:17:43 pm

Author Topic: Monash Med Vs Monash Biomed Vs Melbourne Biomed  (Read 4997 times)  Share 

bees08

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Monash Med Vs Monash Biomed Vs Melbourne Biomed
« on: July 06, 2019, 12:03:07 am »
+2
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out by sharing their opinion.

A bit of backstory, I have wanted to be a doctor for so long now (about 6 years) as it combines my passion of science and helping people. I would be absolutely elated if I got into Monash Med, however as the year progresses it seems to be out of the realms of possibility. With the UCAT just around the corner, my practice scores have not been competitive enough in comparison to past UKCAT scores needed for med courses. Although I am still trying to keep my hopes up for med at Monash. However, as it is highly likely I will not get in I would like to hear peoples' opinions on biomedical science at Melbourne and Monash, and also post-grad med at Monash and Melbourne.

I would like to go to Melbourne as the campus is so nice and I could complete a concurrent diploma in Italian, but I have heard the teaching is sub par. Whereas, the teaching quality at Monash is stacks better, as well as its resources. My careers councillor also emailed Monash and they said I can do Italian as well at the uni as a diploma. Monash Clayton is much closer to home with about a 40 minute drive, whereas Melbourne is about an hour and a bit via train. Travel doesn't phase me as I think I would like to live on campus next year. Additionally, if I got to Melbourne, it cuts Monash out of the picture for postgrad med as they only take on Monash graduates.

The competitiveness of both courses also has me worried. It is going to be like year 12 all over again, but over 3-4 years of stress and worry about my marks and whether they are good enough, taking away all the joy of learning. Also how hard are languages at uni? As I do not want my Italian to bring my WAM down and ultimately stop me from getting into med.

Also, I have considered the university of Adelaide and UTAS for med as prestige is not a major factor to employers in Australia, however it all depends on my UCAT and ATAR score  :-\. Feel free to divulge about their mbbs courses.

Please help by telling me any opinions, bits of info or plans of action about the above courses. All I just want to do is study med, I watch so many doctor's vlogs and I love all of it, the good, the bad and the gory. I don't fantasise about some glorified tv version, I want to learn about the human body and be able to help as many patients as I can.
Thank you all,
bees08

Meddling

• Forum Regular
  • University of Melbourne
  • Respect: +7
Re: Monash Med Vs Monash Biomed Vs Melbourne Biomed
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 12:32:05 am »
+4
As far as teaching quality goes, it is all subjective to you.
Some people find certain teaching styles more appealing than others, and there are heaps of lecturers with different teaching styles! So, you shouldn't really care about this as of now~

First of all, there is a difference between Monash and Melbourne's post graduate medicine entry scheme:

As far as i'm aware, Monash ranks its internal applicants based on their WAM and Melbourne ranks their internal and external applicants based on their GPA and GAMSAT (Graduate Australian Medical School Admissions Test). So, you not only have to have a competitive GPA for Melbourne, but you also need a competitive score for GAMSAT (if you don't know what this is yet, you should look it up!) - So, it will be a very stressful journey.

This doesn't mean one way is easier than the other, and you should expect any entry scheme for medicine related fields to be super competitive!
I think you should choose whatever is easier and comfortable to you.

I have not done any languages, so i can't comment on that; But! If you were not aware, there are language subjects available and you don't have to do a diploma (Unless you specifically need that diploma for something - but i won't ask).

Also, biomedicine is not the only course you can do to do Medicine.
Bachelor of Science at both, Melbourne and Monash, will allow you to apply for Medicine as long as you satisfy the pre-requisite subjects (e.g. 2nd year level Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry at Melbourne).

But, you should also note that, At Monash, 50 spots are reserved for Monash biomedicine students, and only 25 spots for science students - So, there are less opportunities / space for science students

According to my friends who does biomedicine at Melbourne, they seem to find it really intense while i find my course (science) alright - So, Science may be a less intense alternative pathway for Medicine (my opinion of course). This is also something to consider if you find managing stress a little bit hard.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 12:39:15 am by Meddling »
𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟾 - 𝟸𝟶𝟸𝟶⎬BSc (Human Structure and Function) @ UniMelb
𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟾⎬⧼BIOL10004⧽⧼BIOL10005⧽⧼CHEM10007⧽⧼CHEM10003⧽⧼PHYC10003⧽⧼PHYC10008⧽⧼UNIB10009⧽⧼MUSI20150⧽
𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟿⎬⧼ANAT20006⧽⧼PHYS20008⧽⧼BCMB20002⧽⧼MIIM20001⧽⧼MIIM20002⧽⧼SCIE20001⧽⧼EDUC10051⧽⧼CHEM10004⧽
𝟸𝟶𝟸𝟶⎬⧼ANAT30007⧽⧼ANAT30008⧽⧼NEUR30002⧽⧼NEUR30003⧽⧼TBA-Elective⧽⧼TBA-Elective⧽⧼TBA-Breadth⧽TBA-Breadth⧽

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 12:54:04 am »
+4
Just wanted to point out that this
The competitiveness of both courses also has me worried. It is going to be like year 12 all over again, but over 3-4 years of stress and worry about my marks and whether they are good enough, taking away all the joy of learning.

is something some of my friends in Biomed at either uni are finding very challenging. You have to do well from the beginning and maintain that level of work for 3 years on top of the GAMSAT. This can be very tough to sustain as almost every little assessment can impact your WAM/GPA.

I think that, firstly, you should keep your hopes up for getting into med directly. Keep working hard at school, you can get in even with a low UCAT score given you have a good ATAR.

I also think you should consider a backup career. I know that many students do not want to hear this but it is a very real possibility that you may find yourself at the end of third year at uni knowing your chances of grad med are low and having no idea what to do from there. Consider a backup career and consider working towards it as soon as you get into university rather than doing a generalist degree such as biomed or science. More information on this can be found here (Pitfall #2) https://medstudentsonline.com.au/forum/threads/common-pitfalls-to-avoid-for-year-12-school-leavers-and-other-medicine-applicants.32824/
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Rom_Dog

• Adventurer
  • You gotta' just straight up eat the lettuce
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 10:23:55 am »
+3
Hey!

A great thing about Melb Uni is they they offer a guaranteed entry pathway for med. If you achieve an ATAR of >99 and maintain a weighted average mark of 75% across a relevant Melb Uni course they reserve you a place in medicine. There's also a range of doctorates that they do this for such as dental surgery (also >99), optometry, physiotherapy and veterinary science (which have a >96 cutoff). You can read more about it here: https://study.unimelb.edu.au/study-with-us/understand-your-undergraduate-to-graduate-degree-pathways/guaranteed-entry-pathways-by-course

Monash only takes Monash students into their postgrad med, reserving 50 spots of biomed students and 25 for students who do other related courses like pharmacy and science. The process equally looks at your WAM (weighted average mark), situational judgement test and interview. If you have a WAM of over 70 they invite you to do the situational judgement test which is online and if you do well enough in that they invite you to do the interview. I've heard that the average mark on students that get into med through this process is 82%. Most students also do the GAMSAT and apply for other graduate med degrees including the one at Melbourne and ones interstate.

I hope this helps!

2019 - 2021: Biomed @ Monash!

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 12:29:03 pm »
+1
Just wanted to point out that this
is something some of my friends in Biomed at either uni are finding very challenging. You have to do well from the beginning and maintain that level of work for 3 years on top of the GAMSAT. This can be very tough to sustain as almost every little assessment can impact your WAM/GPA.

I think that, firstly, you should keep your hopes up for getting into med directly. Keep working hard at school, you can get in even with a low UCAT score given you have a good ATAR.

I also think you should consider a backup career. I know that many students do not want to hear this but it is a very real possibility that you may find yourself at the end of third year at uni knowing your chances of grad med are low and having no idea what to do from there. Consider a backup career and consider working towards it as soon as you get into university rather than doing a generalist degree such as biomed or science. More information on this can be found here (Pitfall #2) https://medstudentsonline.com.au/forum/threads/common-pitfalls-to-avoid-for-year-12-school-leavers-and-other-medicine-applicants.32824/

Hey Lear,
I reckon your absolutely right about having a backup career in case getting into med doesn't work out.

Just wondering what other careers are there similar to being a doctor. I know I want to 100% go into the health industry and being a doctor and taking care of my patients is the ultimate goal.

What careers did you have as a backup in case you never got into med?

thnx  :)

EDIT: Just realised my backups, if getting into med doesn't work out there's always dentistry, optometry and veterinary medicine.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 12:43:54 pm by Ionic Doc »
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

Lear

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 01:17:34 pm »
+2
Hey Lear,
I reckon your absolutely right about having a backup career in case getting into med doesn't work out.

Just wondering what other careers are there similar to being a doctor. I know I want to 100% go into the health industry and being a doctor and taking care of my patients is the ultimate goal.

What careers did you have as a backup in case you never got into med?

thnx  :)

EDIT: Just realised my backups, if getting into med doesn't work out there's always dentistry, optometry and veterinary medicine.

If that is your aim things such as nursing, dentistry, optometry, medical imaging, pharmacy etc are excellent careers to consider.
Back in year 12 my back up was to simply get into Science at Melbourne and hope for grad entry. Looking back now I would say this wasn't a wise thing to do. I'd rather pursue a backup career (I think I would pick nursing) to study at Uni. Not only does this mean that I can actually start working at the end of my degree in the area of my interest, I would still be able to apply for Grad Medicine at UoM (given I do the prereqs externally) or Deakin (not to mention interstate universities).
Subjects

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 01:36:04 pm »

Would you know the cut off for the UCAT + ATAR for direct med? Does the ATAR remain the same for Monash guarantee applicants? If so, would this affect the UCAT score?

Lear

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 04:45:08 pm »
+2
There's no consistent 'cut off' for either of those. Yearly cutoffs depend on how competitive the applicants to that uni are.
Especially with the new UCAT, there is pretty much no information like you would have past years and the UMAT.
The ATAR median is typically low to mid 99s across the years.

Not too sure about the Monash guarantee this year either as previously it was something like 180 total score UMAT + 95? ATAR would guarantee you an interview. Not sure how it'll work this year.

Regardless, it is expected that the competition will be as fierce as any other year.
Subjects

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 06:46:42 pm »
If that is your aim things such as nursing, dentistry, optometry, medical imaging, pharmacy etc are excellent careers to consider.
Back in year 12 my back up was to simply get into Science at Melbourne and hope for grad entry. Looking back now I would say this wasn't a wise thing to do. I'd rather pursue a backup career (I think I would pick nursing) to study at Uni. Not only does this mean that I can actually start working at the end of my degree in the area of my interest, I would still be able to apply for Grad Medicine at UoM (given I do the prereqs externally) or Deakin (not to mention interstate universities).

wait, so when you're studying nursing at university you can also study prerequisites (anatomy, biochem, physio)

but when you say you can study them  'externally' where would that be?

thnx again
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 09:00:35 pm »
+2
After going through biomedicine, I've felt that the intensity of the degree is overstated. Your third and second year is worth 3x and 2x (respectively) more than your first year, so there's lots of wiggle room when you first start your degree, which is when you're still getting used to studying at university. To be competitive, you need to probably get at least a H2A on average, but anything above 80 consistently will put you in the top pool of candidates. I don't think you need to be continuously studying for hours on end each day to get to that standard.

Hey!

A great thing about Melb Uni is they they offer a guaranteed entry pathway for med. If you achieve an ATAR of >99 and maintain a weighted average mark of 75% across a relevant Melb Uni course they reserve you a place in medicine. There's also a range of doctorates that they do this for such as dental surgery (also >99), optometry, physiotherapy and veterinary science (which have a >96 cutoff). You can read more about it here: https://study.unimelb.edu.au/study-with-us/understand-your-undergraduate-to-graduate-degree-pathways/guaranteed-entry-pathways-by-course

Note that this guaranteed pathway is a full-fee place, which can be quite costly. Even if you don't get a CSP spot the first time, I would recommend applying again the next year so you can avoid the expenses.
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 05:49:54 pm »
+3

I reckon you might enjoy a career in allied health (as a back-up of course). I know that Occupational Therapists (also Speechies and Physios) build quite a strong relationship with their patients and really get to appreciate the progress they are making. OT is probably the least medical of the allied healths, but the patient relationships built can be quite extraordinary.

A family friend is working as an OT with kids who have heart&lung transplants and she knows them their whole lives and builds an extremely strong connection. If the relationship is what attracts you, you might enjoy allied health.