Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:38:42 pm

Author Topic: External Uni Transfers  (Read 894 times)  Share 

kaii

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
External Uni Transfers
« on: October 18, 2018, 10:36:51 pm »
Hi all,

Can anyone pinpoint to me how exactly external uni transfers work (specifically thinking of transferring to Unimelb's Biomedicine course) and go through it with me step-by-step? Also, if there are current/former students who are/were studying the course, how would you describe it?

Thanks in advance!
2016 - Biology
2017 - Chemistry | Methods | Psychology | English | HHD

kaii

• Trailblazer
Re: External Uni Transfers
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 07:40:16 pm »
Thank you!
If I missed the deadline for the VTAC mid-year applications, is it too late? Also, do you think it is worth transferring unis after second year or should I just stick it out? Any help will be appreciated! 
2016 - Biology

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 08:14:02 pm »
Thank you!
If I missed the deadline for the VTAC mid-year applications, is it too late? Also, do you think it is worth transferring unis after second year or should I just stick it out? Any help will be appreciated! 

You can try applying with the university directly, instead. Unis do offer you the option (some unis and some courses) the chance to apply direct rather than go through VTAC.

I had this dilemma when I was around a year and a half through my degree too. I honestly don't think it's worth the added duration and financial impact unless you are absolutely miserable and the course/discipline is completely different. That I can understand.

You could also look at postgraduate courses to do something different. Some Masters degrees for e.g. don't require prior exp in that same discipline
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

kaii

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 11:15:51 pm »
Hi Aaron, thanks for replying! Would you be able to share your transfer experience? What steps did you take? I'm currently studying in LTU and have been wanting to get into Unimelb for a long time now. I found LTU better than I expected but feel like the university is lacking in subjects that I am interested in (so much restrictions! - UoM Biomed students get to choose majors as well). And although I tell myself not to get caught up with university rankings, I can't help but notice that LTU dropped to being the 400th in the world.

Unfortunately for UoM Biomed, the university does not take direct applications (only through VTAC) and I have missed the mid-year intakes for the VTAC applications. Since my current course is 3 years long, I am contemplating whether to just stay or go. UoM has been my dream uni since high school days (lol) but I am kind of terrified about GAMSAT and not getting in. Sorry for the long message!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 08:05:15 pm by kaii »
2016 - Biology