Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 07:02:52 pm

Author Topic: illusion theories  (Read 3880 times)  Share 

Visionz

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1
Re: illusion theories
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 06:37:03 pm »
Also if you think about it. The ceiling has to go up and the floor has to slope down to prevent the linear perspective effect where parallel lines appear to converge in the distance. The same linear perspective principle we learn about.

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 06:39:07 pm »
I still don't get how the apparent distance theory applies in the Ames room. it seems to contradict it completely, since size constancy isn't maintained it's unlikely two retinal images would be the same size.
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

iNerd

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 06:42:30 pm »
I still don't get how the apparent distance theory applies in the Ames room. it seems to contradict it completely, since size constancy isn't maintained it's unlikely two retinal images would be the same size.
huh? ii'm doing pysch Unit 1 and this is what we've been taught..."shape constancy is maintained over size contancy as we assume the back of the room is a rectangular when inffact it is a trapezium. Thus we assume that the two people are the same distance from us and one looks bigger when in fact they are the same size, it's just that one is closer."
Is this right; off the top of my head lol;; got a perfect answer in my book somewhere...

Boots

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 06:45:08 pm »
Also if you think about it. The ceiling has to go up and the floor has to slope down to prevent the linear perspective effect where parallel lines appear to converge in the distance. The same linear perspective principle we learn about.

Interesting...so your saying the linear perspective effect will make it appear more distant so its eliminated?

Wow, I never thought of it that way. That's amazing, I don't think i'll ever forget that!!!!!

Boots

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 06:50:26 pm »
So Visonz, the floor is a trapezoid and in the ames room, it is tilted at one point (as shown in image below).
As a result of this tilt, the slant is downwards both vertically and horizontally?

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 06:50:45 pm »
huh? ii'm doing pysch Unit 1 and this is what we've been taught..."shape constancy is maintained over size contancy as we assume the back of the room is a rectangular when inffact it is a trapezium. Thus we assume that the two people are the same distance from us and one looks bigger when in fact they are the same size, it's just that one is closer."
Is this right; off the top of my head lol;; got a perfect answer in my book somewhere...

that's correct. and a lot simpler than how i try to explain it, but in the Grivas textbook the main explanation they give for the room is the apparent distance theory which states when two people are the same size but one appears to be more distant then the one that appears to be further away will be interpreted as larger. Never really understood the Grivas explanations for Visual Illusions. But yeah, your answers right.
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

Visionz

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 07:02:08 pm »
So Visonz, the floor is a trapezoid and in the ames room, it is tilted at one point (as shown in image below).
As a result of this tilt, the slant is downwards both vertically and horizontally?

From the peephole the floor slopes upwards to the closer back corner. From that corner the floor slopes down to the further away back corner.

Boots

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2010, 07:05:53 pm »
What about the ceiling? I know it slants upwards from the right to the left, but what about from the peephole?

akira88

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2010, 07:06:17 pm »
It doesn't make sense. My teacher who was a past examiner doesn't get it- I think the Grivas textbook fails there. She said she messaged the Chief Examiner about it, but never got a reply. But she says it probably won't come up on exams, so don't worry about it too much.

And I think that diagram is wrong, it can't be like that! :P
2009: Further Maths | Literature
2010: English | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Psychology
2011: Pharmacy/Commerce Monash
2012: Second year yo!
Certificate III in Business
Certificate IV in Business Adminstration
Feel free to ask or message me for anything, I don't bite :]

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 07:09:23 pm »
What about the ceiling? I know it slants upwards from the right to the left, but what about from the peephole?

Boots maybe you're a little too concerned with the slanting. On the exams i've done you've never had to mention the slant in great detail, they're more concerned with it being a trapezoidal shape with one corner being further and one side being higher, objects may be distorted in the room and so on and of course, that it must be viewed through a peephole. I doubt they'd expect as much detail as people here have gone in to.
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

Boots

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 07:11:54 pm »
lol

Well the MC question on the 08 vcaa exam sparked my concern

Anyways is the slant increasing from the peephole to the wall?

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 07:12:43 pm »
well the peepholes in the middle. so I guess it'd go both ways?
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

Visionz

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 07:13:06 pm »

Boots maybe you're a little too concerned with the slanting. On the exams i've done you've never had to mention the slant in great detail, they're more concerned with it being a trapezoidal shape with one corner being further and one side being higher, objects may be distorted in the room and so on and of course, that it must be viewed through a peephole. I doubt they'd expect as much detail as people here have gone in to.

yeah ive been told that theyre pretty generous, you just need to make sure you mention: trapezoidal in shape, peephole, inability to use binocular depth cues, tendency to maintain shape constancy over size constancy.

Boots

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 07:30:12 pm »
so the answer is?

minilunchbox

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +6
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 07:31:38 pm »
Hmm. Seems like it's time for me to have a trip to Melbourne Museum to play in the Ames Room there.
2011-13: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology) @ University of Melbourne