Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 09:25:39 pm

Author Topic: Do I do mathematical methods 3/4?  (Read 1258 times)  Share 

lucy.lee17

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Mount Clear College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Do I do mathematical methods 3/4?
« on: November 01, 2016, 09:29:57 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm in need of some advice, I do math methods 1/2 now and i really don't know if i should do it next year.
I need it as a preresiquite for what I hope will become my career.

I don't do too well in it now.. taking into account the minimal effort I put in. I have no frees at the moment so that could be why.

My highest SAC result this year has been 60% for 3 of my SACS. I think I have maybe failed one.

I am also going to find a tutor for the year that can hopefully help me understand it more.. but any advice from past students?

Striddawg

• Adventurer
Re: Do I do mathematical methods 3/4?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 11:26:44 am »
+1
Based on the fact that you said it is required as a pre-requisite, yes totally take on methods 3/4.
Personally I found it a very rewarding subject. I completed spesh alongside methods this year, so I understand where you're coming from when you say it was on the backburner,  however I would be hesitant to say that having free periods will help your situation. You may not be as productive as you hope, and especially if you aren't the strongest math student, in class time is golden. Additionally for most cases, 6 subjects in total is a great situation, and 5 in year 12 (unless you've completed 2 this year) gives you the option to drop a subject if you think you can't stand it or if you fail but yeah i don't believe that will happen since you're seeking advice therefore i will assume that you care for your education  :D

If you believe that you can commit to the subject, do it. Methods was tied with psychology for my favourite subject of the year. The concepts studied all link together as compared to the other maths studies, so it's nice if like myself you need a holistic understanding.

If I may ask, what is your desired career goal? Keep that in mind throughout the year as you complete your studies and it acts as great motivation xx I honestly believe that if you can put the effort in that you will be an amazing methods student and I wish you the best of luck for 2017 and onwards regardless of your decision xxx

whatevenisexams

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 04:18:07 pm »
+1
If it's a prerequisite then you definitely need to do it but keep in mind that you still need to achieve a 20 or whatever for your course.
Maybe see how much effort you can put in before exams (if you haven't already done them) and then reevaluate when you get your mark back.

A tutor should help with your understanding and the great thing about methods is that if you understand one concept, you'll understand the rest. Tbh it's probably my favourite VCE maths

Just remember that if you think you're willing to put in the effort to understand, it'll probably be okay, especially if you're already getting 60s without even trying!!!

Good luck!!!

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 09:51:18 pm »
yeah i did method only because it was a pre-req for commerce at melbourne and i ended up doing it and going to tutor and putting in only a small amount of work, failing a few sacs etc. and i got a 26 and still got the atar for commerce. i feel like if you are mathematically minded even if you dont know shit about math and failed year 11 methods you can probably scab enough marks throughout the year to net a 25 that is needed for pre-reqs (i basically just got really good at using a cas and probability questions)
so if its a pre-req for your course then id definitely do it