Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:58:29 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3571734 times)  Share 

Hokiksyo-min

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #5115 on: May 08, 2015, 05:26:18 pm »
Do we need to know anything about plant regulators for the exam?

2). Do we need to know what depolarisation is in terms of action potentials?
3). Do we need to know what occurs (the chemical intakes/outputs) when an action potential is travelling through an axon?
From the study design...
"the nature of the stimulus-response model and the roles of the nerve pathway and chemical
signals in the transmission of information from receptor to effector..."
"types of signalling molecules: neurotransmitters; animal hormones; pheromones; plant growth
regulators
"

1). Do motor neurones directly target cells, or do they target muscles/glands?

Neurones, unlike chemical messengers (e.g. hormones), are much more specific and target individual cells.

4). Do microorganisms have the nervous system?

Only animals have nervous systems. Being unicellular organisms (at least most of them), microorganisms don't need a mechanism of communicating between cells.

Hope I helped!  ;D
2015: Biology - German
2016: Japanese SL - Chemistry - English - Methods - Drama

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #5116 on: May 08, 2015, 05:44:14 pm »
Do we need to know anything about plant regulators for the exam?
Also I have a few questions about the nervous system:
1). Do motor neurones directly target cells, or do they target muscles/glands ?
2). Do we need to know what depolarisation is in terms of action potentials?
3). Do we need to know what occurs (the chemical intakes/outputs) when an action potential is travelling through an axon?
From the study design...
"the nature of the stimulus-response model and the roles of the nerve pathway and chemical
signals in the transmission of information from receptor to effector..."
"types of signalling molecules: neurotransmitters; animal hormones; pheromones; plant growth
regulators
"

About plant growth regulators, from the FAQs, you no longer have to know specific examples (e.g. gibberelins, IAA etc.) though I learnt them anyway :)
With depolarisation and action potentials, I would say you need to know very briefly what happens with an action potential, but stress the 'very briefly'.  What I learnt was very brief: as the impulse moves along an axon, membrane permeability changes (positive sodium ions move in, potassium out) and original distribution is restored after the impulse has moved on.  I hope that's accurate, even if it wasn't it didn't hurt me :P  Again, learning more definitely has advantages: in year 12 I minimised it, I'm now starting to relearn stuff more accurately in more detail :)

With motor neurons, remember than muscles and glands are made up of individual cells.  So motor neurons (individual cells) target these individual cells, and thus all put together, lots of neurons targeting lots of muscle cells, an entire muscle is targeted.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

CarterGray12

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #5117 on: May 09, 2015, 10:54:09 am »
I have a SAC about geotropism and signal transduction on Monday and I have a question about the experiment. If we were to cut off the root tip, would there still be a response to gravity? In Phototropism there is no response if the shoot tip is removed and I'm not sure whether it would be the same for roots.
2015: Biology
2016: English | Methods | French | Chemistry | UMEP Biology

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #5118 on: May 09, 2015, 12:23:37 pm »
+1
I have a SAC about geotropism and signal transduction on Monday and I have a question about the experiment. If we were to cut off the root tip, would there still be a response to gravity? In Phototropism there is no response if the shoot tip is removed and I'm not sure whether it would be the same for roots.

There would still be grow, as auxins are produced in the coleoptile of plants, meaning it will still be able to diffuse down into the nodes and roots so that they can grow.

Im pretty sure there would be, we just briefly covered plant regulators so this is what I know.
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

KingDrogba

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: Marcellin
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #5119 on: May 09, 2015, 02:01:51 pm »
Does anyone have any good practice worksheets/tests they have found online to do with immunology? I'm desperate for some more resources in preparation for this sac!!! xo
2014: Text and Traditions 39
2015: Chemistry, Methods, Biology, English and History:Revolutions

I just want a 40 in Chemistry so i can run down my street naked, is that too much to ask?

warya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #5120 on: May 10, 2015, 06:21:18 pm »
How does a helper T cell activate a B/Tc cell? Through the release of interleukin 2 or by physically binding using a CD4+ or CD8+ protein?
http://i.imgur.com/VK9S9ET.gif

2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedical Science, Monash University
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

KingDrogba

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: Marcellin
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #5121 on: May 11, 2015, 08:24:30 pm »
Q1: Can someone explain to me what hypersensitivity is and how that response occurs?

Q2: For the second line of defense, there are many mechanisms which are in place, do these all act at the same time or do each have a specific time for which they act? If that makes sense

Q3: What is the role of antibodies? To they bind with antigens to help facilitate phagocytosis by clumping them together or is there more to it?

Q4: What is the purpose of MHC markers?

Q5: What is a perfect definition of an antigen which would get full marks?

Cheers

2014: Text and Traditions 39
2015: Chemistry, Methods, Biology, English and History:Revolutions

I just want a 40 in Chemistry so i can run down my street naked, is that too much to ask?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #5122 on: May 12, 2015, 03:52:24 pm »
+2
Q1: Can someone explain to me what hypersensitivity is and how that response occurs?

Q2: For the second line of defense, there are many mechanisms which are in place, do these all act at the same time or do each have a specific time for which they act? If that makes sense

Q3: What is the role of antibodies? To they bind with antigens to help facilitate phagocytosis by clumping them together or is there more to it?

Q4: What is the purpose of MHC markers?

Q5: What is a perfect definition of an antigen which would get full marks?

Cheers

I would highly recommend making an attempt to answer questions before you go and ask them. So that people here can either confirm or correct your answers. Much better way for you to learn imo :)

1. Body produces IgE antibodies against an antigen that it shouldn't, these IgE antibodies get stuck in the surface of mast cells. Secondary exposure to the antigen activates mast cells by means of the IgE antibodies on the surface, this causes degranulation of mast cells, which results in the release of histamine. Histamine then causes all the inflammation and nastiness related to hypersensitivities.*

*strictly speaking this is not exactly correct, but in the VCE course it suffices.

2. They have different times, but you don't need to know about that. Some cells respond more quickly (neutrophils) than others (macrophages), but definitely don't need to know that.

3. More to it, but that's one thing they do. They can neutralise things that come in and they can also promote phagocytosis as you suggested. They're also pro-infammatory and can activate complement.

4. Present antigens.

5. A foreign body that induces the production of antibodies. (antibody generating).
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

BakedDwarf

« Reply #5123 on: May 12, 2015, 08:53:38 pm »
I've got a biology sac tomorrow for homeostasis and exercise, and we are basically observing how the body’s  homeostatic mechanisms respond to external factors when exercising. External factors involve change in body temperature, heart and breathing rate, oxygen concentration and glucose concentration.

One of the discussion questions is: 'Name two variables that were kept constant and explain why this was done.'

What exactly does this mean? What variables are constant during exercising? I'm guessing that temperature and glucose concentration are constant.

Seige

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School: WEST SIDE!!!
« Reply #5124 on: May 12, 2015, 10:18:59 pm »
I've got a biology sac tomorrow for homeostasis and exercise, and we are basically observing how the body’s  homeostatic mechanisms respond to external factors when exercising. External factors involve change in body temperature, heart and breathing rate, oxygen concentration and glucose concentration.

One of the discussion questions is: 'Name two variables that were kept constant and explain why this was done.'

What exactly does this mean? What variables are constant during exercising? I'm guessing that temperature and glucose concentration are constant.

Bingo.
You would then explain why and how this was done. E.g increase in perspiration and respiration. etc.
2012: Biology [50]  | Chemistry [50]
2013: Spesh [50 -> 55]  | English [49]  |  Physics [50] | Food & Technology [48] | Literature [48] | Art [48]
ATAR: 99.95

2014-2018: Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) (Honours)/Bachelor of Science (Biotechnology)  @ RMIT

warya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5125 on: May 12, 2015, 11:52:11 pm »
Anyone know how a helper T cell activates the other lymphocytes?  :-\

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #5126 on: May 13, 2015, 10:00:16 am »
+1
Anyone know how a helper T cell activates the other lymphocytes?  :-\
Most B cells require 2 signals to be activated and begin clonal proliferation and differentiation into plasma and memory cells:
1. B-cell receptor binds to specific antigen.
2. T helper cells (which have been activated by that specific antigen) then secrete cytokines/interleukins (messengers between immune system cells) which bind to and stimulate/activate the B cell.

So essentially, B cells can't multiply and become antibody-producing plasma cells just by running into the appropriate antigen; they NEED a T helper cell to send them cytokines.  You don't have to know more than this (e.g. what the specific cytokines are, or how it all works).
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

warya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5127 on: May 13, 2015, 12:58:51 pm »
Okay so what about the CD4+ receptor things, do they bind to the MHC2 on B cells since they are also antigen presenting, activating them that way alongside the release of cytokines or do they only bind the the MHC2 receptors on the phagocytic cells?                                                                                                                                                               

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #5128 on: May 13, 2015, 06:11:24 pm »
I have a SAC tomorrow on signalling molecules in animals and hormones and nervous system. What prac should I be expecting?

I also have a question with signal transduction. In water-soluble hormone action, does signal transduction include the activation of a second messenger or is it after the activation?

2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

warya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5129 on: May 13, 2015, 06:33:06 pm »
I think you just need to know that a signalling molecule is recieved on target cell receptor, which causes the release of an internal signal which is carried by second messengers- known as signal transduction, don't get in too deep with the specifics just know what happens, I've done this SAC, thats all I knew and I aced lol.

Our prac was testing whether or not bacteria grows in response to antifungal and antibiotics, basically we just had to talk about how there was a change in the external environment and related by to homeostasis etc etc