Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:07:49 am

Author Topic: Music Question Thread  (Read 83727 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Music Question Thread
« Reply #195 on: August 05, 2018, 09:20:58 pm »
+1

Hey Jamon!

I noticed in one of your posts a while back you suggested using different listens (1, 2, 3 e.g) of a music aural exam to notate different things or concepts of music. If I used this method, for example, 1st listen Duration, 2nd Listen Pitch, how would I still keep my response in chronological order? ie. I wouldn't want to wait to the 5th listen to talk about about the tone colour in the intro.
Thanks for the reply

Peter :)

Hey! So I would leave gaps! A gap for everything about the intro, a gap for everything about the verse, etc etc. I made sure to ask for extra paper at the start in case I needed it, so I could be liberal with spacing - Maintain that Music 1 is the roughest exam on your hand, gotta keep writing the whole time!

pbcampion

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #196 on: August 07, 2018, 07:32:13 am »
+1
Hey! So I would leave gaps! A gap for everything about the intro, a gap for everything about the verse, etc etc. I made sure to ask for extra paper at the start in case I needed it, so I could be liberal with spacing - Maintain that Music 1 is the roughest exam on your hand, gotta keep writing the whole time!

Awesome, thanks Jamon.

I'll give that a try and see how I like it!

sara.gondo

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #197 on: August 10, 2018, 07:23:09 pm »
+1
Hi there! For my year 11 music task, I have to come up with a viva voce question on a particular musical. We have to base it around the concepts of music (pitch, duration, tone, colour, texture, structure, dynamics and expressive techniques. I am currently thinking of doing "hairspray" and doing a comparative analysis of 2 songs in the musical; my focus question being something along the lines of "How are the concepts of music used to create excitement and tension throughout the musical Hairspray in the songs “run and tell that” and “you can’t stop the beat". However I am not sure if this is a good musical to analyse so I am very open to any other musicals that you think would be better to analyse and also looking for ways on how I can improve on my focus question.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #198 on: August 11, 2018, 02:16:27 pm »
+2
Hi there! For my year 11 music task, I have to come up with a viva voce question on a particular musical. We have to base it around the concepts of music (pitch, duration, tone, colour, texture, structure, dynamics and expressive techniques. I am currently thinking of doing "hairspray" and doing a comparative analysis of 2 songs in the musical; my focus question being something along the lines of "How are the concepts of music used to create excitement and tension throughout the musical Hairspray in the songs “run and tell that” and “you can’t stop the beat". However I am not sure if this is a good musical to analyse so I am very open to any other musicals that you think would be better to analyse and also looking for ways on how I can improve on my focus question.

Welcome to the forums Sara! I love your focus question, a few pointers:

- I don't think you need the song names in there, so feel free to drop the last phrase
- Make it clearer that you'll be exploring how the differences in the concepts of music create different emotions throughout the musical. Make it more obvious you will be doing comparison ;D

As for the choice of musical, I think pretty much anything works as long as you enjoy it enough to analyse it! Another one I know that does cool things with the music is Wicked, but I don't know the genre a tonne - If anyone else has any suggestions give a shout! :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #199 on: August 12, 2018, 10:49:23 am »
+2

As for the choice of musical, I think pretty much anything works as long as you enjoy it enough to analyse it! Another one I know that does cool things with the music is Wicked, but I don't know the genre a tonne - If anyone else has any suggestions give a shout! :)

Ask and you shall receive, Jamon  ;D

Hey, Sara!  :D

I am a huge musical theatre nerd and would be so excited to do a task like what you have. I think your focus question is solid and really reflects the songs you have chosen really well. As long as you maintain your discussion on the concepts of music, you’ll deliver a sophisticated analysis regardless of what musical you end up deciding to do.

As for some suggestions for musicals that have really strong musical ideas, I can think of heaps off the top of my head but I’ll narrow it down to a few that I think stand out and some songs that would suit your discussion focus.

Hamilton- I could go on for days about how much I love ‘Hamilton.’ Lin Manuel Miranda is a musical master in developing his material. You could look at the domestic and public interplay within the musical with ‘Take a Break’ and ‘My Shot’ respectively whereby excitement and tension are both present.

Heathers- Not the most kid-friendly musical but definitely a great one if you want to focus solely on tension. ‘Beautiful’ and ‘Meant to be Yours’ have brilliant constructions that you can investigate into.

As suggested by Jamon, Wicked- I’ve performed so many ‘Wicked’ songs that I think my school must be sick of the musical by now. Excitement and tension flows in ‘What is this feeling?’, ‘No Good Deed’ and ‘Defying Gravity.’ They’re all driving songs in the musical and are situated in major plot moments. That’s a key reason why they have excitement and tension in them.

Les Miserables- By far, my favourite musical of all time! Who doesn’t love seeing young boys die in a failed French Revolution?  ::) I think this is a very good option if you want to make your analysis strong because it is such an admired musical by the theatre community. ‘One Day More’ and ‘Red and Black’ are fantastic ensemble numbers which give me shivers all the time.

I hope this helps! It certainly gave me so much joy writing this all out because I love love love musical theatre  ;D ;D Even if you don’t end up choosing any of these, do give these songs a listen so you can expand your knowledge or use them as practice for aural listenings. Musical theatre is very fun to analyse because there’s crazy stuff happening everywhere. Good luck with your task and let us know how it goes or if you need any help!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 10:51:32 am by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #200 on: October 08, 2018, 11:56:01 am »
+1
Hey, everyone  ;D

For Music 2, are we able to write our responses with dot points? My distance ed teacher never got back to me on this question and he won’t be available to contact for a while  :o I’ve been writing full sentence responses and leaving dot points at the end if I run out of time. Is there a suggested approach from anyone on how to structure responses in the exam?

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

pbcampion

• Adventurer
« Reply #201 on: October 09, 2018, 01:21:37 pm »
+3
Hey, everyone  ;D

For Music 2, are we able to write our responses with dot points? My distance ed teacher never got back to me on this question and he won’t be available to contact for a while  :o I’ve been writing full sentence responses and leaving dot points at the end if I run out of time. Is there a suggested approach from anyone on how to structure responses in the exam?

Well I'm only doing Music 1, but I understand that we are both still required to analyse a piece of music based on one of the musical concepts during the exam. I would highly recommend using dot-points. What the markers are looking for is key segments of information, eg. the instrument, what it is doing, and how it effects the music. Using sentences can waste alot of time using words that don't gain marks, especially when you have to get your ideas down fast. I would recommend practicing responses and having discernment when you need a full sentence or when you would just use dot points.
I usually use a combination of both.

An example of using dot-pointed type answer against a full sentence might be:

Drums then enter in the rhythmic role, providing a straight Hi-hat pattern that reinforces rhythmic unison in the piece. 

- Drums in rhythmic role:
                         > straight Hi hat pattern > reinforces rhythmic unison

Of course there are many ways to answer the questions, but that would be my approach.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #202 on: October 09, 2018, 05:00:14 pm »
+1

Well I'm only doing Music 1, but I understand that we are both still required to analyse a piece of music based on one of the musical concepts during the exam. I would highly recommend using dot-points. What the markers are looking for is key segments of information, eg. the instrument, what it is doing, and how it effects the music. Using sentences can waste alot of time using words that don't gain marks, especially when you have to get your ideas down fast. I would recommend practicing responses and having discernment when you need a full sentence or when you would just use dot points.
I usually use a combination of both.

An example of using dot-pointed type answer against a full sentence might be:

Drums then enter in the rhythmic role, providing a straight Hi-hat pattern that reinforces rhythmic unison in the piece. 

- Drums in rhythmic role:
                         > straight Hi hat pattern > reinforces rhythmic unison

Of course there are many ways to answer the questions, but that would be my approach.

Awesome! Thank you for responding!  ;D I think I will go with that for my responses then. All the best with your exams :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

holky

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #203 on: October 16, 2018, 08:24:15 pm »
Hey,
What's the difference between poly rhythm and cross rhythm?

English Advanced  English Extension 1 Modern History CAFS Music 1 Drama

Mathematics 84

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #204 on: October 16, 2018, 09:03:24 pm »
+2
Hey,

Hey! Polyrhythm is any use of more than one rhythm (that are actually aurally distinct, they don't just build on one another). When the use of polyrhythm is sustained and used as a motif in the piece, we call it cross rhythm. Really though, the terms are pretty much interchangeable ;D

pbcampion

• Adventurer
« Reply #205 on: October 16, 2018, 09:13:51 pm »
+2
Hey,

Hello! So Polyrhythms simply refer to when 2 or more rhythms are being played simultaneously, usually combining to sound complicated. However, it is important to know that polyrhythms are completely TIMBRE dependent. In that I mean, if you combined all of the rhythms so they were played by the one instrument, it wouldn't be a polyrhythm at all, just a complicated, or syncopated rhythm. So this means, if there is a woodblock playing on every beat, and then a syncopated egg shaker in the background as well, you would consider this as polyrhythmic. This also means that even a drummer playing a standard rock beat is technically polyrhythmic.

Cross rhythms are similar, in that you have 2 or more rhythms played at the same time, but these are often in contrasting METRES. A common example of this would be a 4:3 cross-rhythm, which is 4 beats to every 3 beats in a bar. It is even quite often used in pop music. Being relatively common, it is a great idea to get used to these so that you can easily identify them in an exam scenario. Adam Neely does a great job of explaining this in his video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtZ74JdxCt0

Usually these terms are interchangeable, but in exam scenario, it's good to stick to their definitions.

Let's go smash these exams!

holky

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #206 on: October 16, 2018, 09:16:23 pm »
Hey! Polyrhythm is any use of more than one rhythm (that are actually aurally distinct, they don't just build on one another). When the use of polyrhythm is sustained and used as a motif in the piece, we call it cross rhythm. Really though, the terms are pretty much interchangeable ;D
Hello! So Polyrhythms simply refer to when 2 or more rhythms are being played simultaneously, usually combining to sound complicated. However, it is important to know that polyrhythms are completely TIMBRE dependent. In that I mean, if you combined all of the rhythms so they were played by the one instrument, it wouldn't be a polyrhythm at all, just a complicated, or syncopated rhythm. So this means, if there is a woodblock playing on every beat, and then a syncopated egg shaker in the background as well, you would consider this as polyrhythmic. This also means that even a drummer playing a standard rock beat is technically polyrhythmic.

Cross rhythms are similar, in that you have 2 or more rhythms played at the same time, but these are often in contrasting METRES. A common example of this would be a 4:3 cross-rhythm, which is 4 beats to every 3 beats in a bar. It is even quite often used in pop music. Being relatively common, it is a great idea to get used to these so that you can easily identify them in an exam scenario. Adam Neely does a great job of explaining this in his video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtZ74JdxCt0

Usually these terms are interchangeable, but in exam scenario, it's good to stick to their definitions.

Let's go smash these exams!

Sweet, thank you so much, both of you!

Another question,
Any suggestions on structuring responses?
If I structure, I still use the structure my year 9 music teacher told me (and she also told me I didn't need to use italian words and could still get a band six without them so I don't really trust her lmao)
Otherwise I just write whatever I hear whenever I hear it, and I think I waste a bit of time writing out "in section 1" "in the chorus" over and over

English Advanced  English Extension 1 Modern History CAFS Music 1 Drama

Mathematics 84

pbcampion

• Adventurer
« Reply #207 on: October 16, 2018, 10:02:40 pm »
+4
Sweet, thank you so much, both of you!

Another question,
Any suggestions on structuring responses?
If I structure, I still use the structure my year 9 music teacher told me (and she also told me I didn't need to use italian words and could still get a band six without them so I don't really trust her lmao)
Otherwise I just write whatever I hear whenever I hear it, and I think I waste a bit of time writing out "in section 1" "in the chorus" over and over

Hey! :)
I guess just make sure that you write everything in chronological order. In that way, I'd only write "Chorus:" at the beginning of a line, then Dot-Point/Sentence the rest for that section. You can always use gaps as-well, so that incase you hear something later that you hadn't written earlier, you can just add another line. My teacher always advises us to write down ANYTHING that you hear/can identify, especially when you are stuck. The examiners can only mark what you write down, so even if you are stuck and you think what you are hearing is wrong, just be broad and write it down.
This is my approach at least, for the Music 1 exam.
That being said, I should probably get back to study! haha

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #208 on: October 16, 2018, 10:15:20 pm »
Here is a guide to complement the awesome answer from pbcampion! ;D

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #209 on: October 18, 2018, 06:29:23 pm »
+3
Just wanted to wish everyone all the best with the Music 1 and 2 exams tomorrow  :) Least we get to end the week with three papers out of the way. Hope the listening components are all in our favours!  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-