Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:49:23 am

Poll

How many periods per day?

Fewer than four
0 (0%)
Four
18 (28.6%)
Five
12 (19%)
Six
24 (38.1%)
Seven
7 (11.1%)
Eight
1 (1.6%)
More than eight
1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: How many periods/classes does your school have per day?  (Read 7484 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
How many periods/classes does your school have per day?
« on: August 07, 2018, 09:16:40 am »
+5
In Year 7-8, my school had six periods. From memory, two before recess, then two between recess and lunch, and two after lunch. Double periods were pretty common. Like, double PE, for example - it sucks just having single PE, because each class was only ~50 minutes or something, and quite a chunk of that was spent waiting for people to get changed.

From Year 9 (I think) onward, it changed to four periods per day. The reason for the change? Honestly I have no idea - it just happened. It meant that there were no double periods, because each period was now ~70 minutes or so. I preferred it this way tbh. There were fewer things to think about per day, and you less time was spent shuffling around between classes and stuff. I can't remember how it worked with recess and lunch, though - the middle section might have been the longest.

I was chatting with my friend the other day, and apparently my old school now has 12 periods per day. My reaction was basically "?!?!".

Anyway - got me thinking. How many classes do/did you have per day, and what's your preference?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: How many periods/classes does your school have per day?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 09:34:14 am »
+1
My school had four periods in a day, rotating on a fortnighly timetable with 1x 78min, and 3x 71min periods aha!
It was great in the junior years as I had a variety of subjects and rarely any subject double-ups, however in year 11 and 12 I'd find that I was often timetabled to have methods and spesh (with the same teacher) back-to-back, which meant usually 142 mins+ of maths in one go and that would pretty much tire me out haha :').

I would've probably preferred more periods in a day, but I can't really complain about it, given that I often have multiple 50min lectures in a row now :))
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 10:48:59 am »
+1
In year 7, we had 8 40 minute periods. Then in year 9 it changed to 6 53 minute periods. Most double periods weren't too bad except for English.
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 10:54:20 am »
+1
I have 5x60m periods which were great until this year started and I got hit double English on 1/3 of my cycle, simply because the school forces us to do English Extension. :'(
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 10:56:30 am »
+1
My school had 4 periods (75 minutes) when I was in year 7 then we transitioned to 6 periods (50 minutes) when I was in year 8. Tbh I much preferred the 6 periods per day because I found the 75 minute periods not that productive. You never really got much done in the last part of the period because everyone would lose their concentration (particularly in the period right before lunch) and all that. Yeah, I guess it probably meant more classes per day to think about in the earlier years if doubles were less frequent, but by year 12 I wasn't having more than 4 classes per day - there'd always be at least a double of something. I reckon I got more done in the doubles because I was prepared for the class being that long (100 minutes) and it only happened once a week or fortnight, plus I got to see my teachers more often so it was easier to ask for help or hand stuff in or whatever.

Not related to education as much, but the transition to 6 periods made assembly days so much more bearable. Assembly had to a) be shorter and b) our classes were shorter, so there wouldn't be a huuuuuge gap between the start of the day and recess or recess and lunch.

Not sure what their data was (or if it was just a coincidence), but my school said results improved a fair bit in the move to 6 periods a day.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 11:43:53 am »
+1
We have 4 X 70 minute periods on Monday, Thursday, and Friday (and homeroom). We have 3 X 70 minute periods on Wednesday’s and Friday’s (we finish early).

At my old high school we had 6 X 54 minute periods. I much prefer the current 4, I feel like that bit of extra time is better than rushing around more classes. I hated doubles at my old school (except food tech), we don’t have doubles at my current school.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 02:01:16 pm »
+1
6 x 48 minute periods

2 minute change over

9 minute homeroom  - homeroom only came up towards the end of year 7 to me. They fit it in by extending the school day by 5 minutes and removing time from recess and lunch :/

technodisney

• MOTM: AUG 2018
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 02:07:11 pm »
+1
6 x 45 minute periods

5 minute changeovers

5 min homeroom in the morning

30 min homeroom or assembly after Lunch
My Informatics 3/4 SAT Guide

Methods, BusMan, EngLang, Informatics, VET IT
technodisney's VCE Journal
Cert IV Live Production and Technical Services RMIT (City Campus)
technodisney's journey into Live Theatre
The Disney Nerd needs to get fit

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. ~ Walt Disney

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 02:18:19 pm »
+1
We had 5 (class, class, long break, class, class short break class) then it became 4 when I was in year 10 ( class, class, short break, class long break, class).

I wasn't too impacted by the change, but it made it difficult for home ec, sport etc. as there were no more double periods. The only other thing is that we had to attend school during study periods, so days where I finished my classes by 10:30 (two afternoon frees) dragged on a bit.

I think the school runs on 6 classes now, but I'm not sure

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 02:42:30 pm »
+1
We have 4; they last ~1hr each with 2 10 minute breaks and a 40 minute lunch break

envisagator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 03:32:05 pm »
+4
Get ready to hear my school's period, you will be disbelief.
Our school has 2 weeks with different timetables, Week A, and Week B.
yr 11, 12 start at 7.28am mon,tues,wed,fri which is denoted as period 1, each period lasts 51mins. But if you do Mxt 1 you start at 7.28 on thursday aswell, while everyone else gets a sleep in :( :( :(
Seniors, 2 periods, then roll call, then 2 then recess which is 20 mins then 2 periods, and then at 12.54pm you get to go home.
But, If you do extension courses, e.g. for me I have math ext 2 on tuesday, wednesday Week A, then wednesday week B, and ext 1 on tues week A, which basically means I have 7.3 hour days which sucks but free periods suffice.

Generally, i.e. yr 7-10  roll call 8.55am, then 2 periods, recess, 2 periods, lunch (30 mins), 2 periods, then school ends at 3.06pm
But on thursdays, we have 4 periods, and end at 12.17 but yr 7-11 have sport afterwards.

In summary, we have 8 periods, with each period being 51 mins long, and seniors start at 7.28 and ends at 12.54pm unless you have an extension course
2018 HSC: English Standard          Mathematics EXT 1,2          Physics          Engineering Studies

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 03:33:27 pm »
Get ready to hear my school's period, you will be disbelief.
Our school has 2 weeks with different timetables, Week A, and Week B.
yr 11, 12 start at 7.28am mon,tues,wed,fri which is denoted as period 1, each period lasts 51mins. But if you do Mxt 1 you start at 7.28 on thursday aswell, while everyone else gets a sleep in :( :( :(
Seniors, 2 periods, then roll call, then 2 then recess which is 20 mins then 2 periods, and then at 12.54pm you get to go home.
But, If you do extension courses, e.g. for me I have math ext 2 on tuesday, wednesday Week A, then wednesday week B, and ext 1 on tues week A, which basically means I have 7.3 hour days which sucks but free periods suffice.

Generally, i.e. yr 7-10  roll call 8.55am, then 2 periods, recess, 2 periods, lunch (30 mins), 2 periods, then school ends at 3.06pm
But on thursdays, we have 4 periods, and end at 12.17 but yr 7-11 have sport afterwards.

In summary, we have 8 periods, with each period being 51 mins long, and seniors start at 7.28 and ends at 12.54pm unless you have an extension course

Like - why, though?

envisagator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 03:39:23 pm »
+1
Like - why, though?
ahah, I honestly dont understand why, towards the beginning of yr 11 I hated waking up to early (6am) and getting to school at 7.28, but, now I surprisingly like it, you feel like you have so much time in the afternoon.
2018 HSC: English Standard          Mathematics EXT 1,2          Physics          Engineering Studies

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 03:42:44 pm »
+2
Two of my high schools were the standard 6 classes per day. My final school had four classes, which I infinitely preferred. A lot of the kids were kinda poorly behaved at my school, so the first few minutes of most classes were spent getting ready or disciplining everyone for talking, and the teacher stopped the final few minutes of classes because nobody would pay attention by this point (exception: science classes, which had a great cohort), so having more time in the four-classes gave you more of that middle ground of actual work.

The bell times were weird af tho

Warning Bell – 8.55am
Period 1 – 9.00am – 10.18am
Recess – 10.18am – 10.53am
Period 2 – 10.53am – 12.04pm
Change over – 12.04pm – 12.09pm
Period 3 – 12.09pm – 1.20pm
Lunch – 1.20pm – 1.55pm
Period 4 – 1.55pm – 3.06pm
Official end – 3.16pm
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 03:42:53 pm »
+2
ahah, I honestly dont understand why, towards the beginning of yr 11 I hated waking up to early (6am) and getting to school at 7.28, but, now I surprisingly like it, you feel like you have so much time in the afternoon.

Yeah, 100%. I actually definitely would have preferred starting earlier and finishing earlier. Those times are so specific, though haha.

Although, thinking about it, I think we had really whack start and finish times, too - probs just got used to it!