Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:06:25 am

Author Topic: journalism at unsw or uts?  (Read 5111 times)

gigi123

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
journalism at unsw or uts?
« on: January 25, 2019, 12:06:24 pm »
Hi I'm currently debating on whether to do a bachelor of communications (journalism) and international studies at uts or a bachelor of media (comm and journalism) and international studies at unsw. I was initially set on going to unsw but after doing some reading I'm now considering uts. If anyone knows the key differences between these courses I would love to know and also which uni has better employment rates for communications after the course.
Thank you :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 01:27:05 pm by gigi123 »

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: communications at unsw or uts?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 01:46:03 pm »
+7
Hi!

I’m an International Studies/Media (PR & Advertising) student at UNSW. International Studies is the main difference in these courses as it provides a bit more scope in terms of (1) another degree (2) extra edge in communications - you learn so much more about the world and (3) international studies is fun lol. At the end of the day, you’re coming out of the degree with the same qualification whether you go to UTS or UNSW. As for career prospects, it depends on how you utilise your time throughout your degree. UTS does have an edge when it comes to internship opportunities but UNSW also has a really great careers team who will help you out with those.

Much like you, I was very set on going to UNSW (literally since I was 7) and what I’m studying is like living a dream lol. It’s up to you to decide but I hope this helps! Feel free to message me if you have other questions :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Re: journalism at unsw or uts?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 01:50:14 pm »
+7
Disclaimer: Please take what I say with a grain of salt since I do not study communications nor do I study at UNSW and UTS at all. My reply will be based upon what I've heard from other people who do communications at UTS specifically.

Usually when I think of Journalism, I think of UTS. Why? Their connections with the journalism industry have created tons of opportunities for their journalism students since their tutors and lecturers (I think- again this is from what I've heard) do have experience in the industry or are actually apart of the industry itself. Since UTS is literally next to ABC, this allows for opportunities with the company and creating connections whilst studying as an undergrad student.

Here we have a thread called 'What it's like studying Communications at UTS' written by our lovely AN star Elyse! She recently graduated from UTS with a Bachelor of Communications (Journalism) and International Studies (similar to what you want!) so this thread would be a great to read when you have the time.

There are also UTS Subject reviews right here (if you just head to the faculty of Communications section!).

You are always welcome to check out the UNSW board right here.

Hopefully someone who studies/studied communications and journalism at UNSW sees this thread and give their perspective on what it's like to study at UNSW.

Good luck ! ;D
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.