Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:07:47 pm

Author Topic: UTS or UNSW?  (Read 15596 times)

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
UTS or UNSW?
« on: August 29, 2017, 05:22:05 pm »
Hi guys I am looking to study Journalism at either one of these unis but I am torn between which one. I love the facilities at UTS for my course but I didn't like the campus. I am going to the UNSW open day this weekend to have a look there, campus seems better and the course looks good too but don't know what the facilities are like for media.

Does anyone go here/know of anyone who goes to either of these unis in the media type area and what their experiences are like?
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
Re: UTS or UNSW?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 05:29:29 pm »
+4
Hi guys I am looking to study Journalism at either one of these unis but I am torn between which one. I love the facilities at UTS for my course but I didn't like the campus. I am going to the UNSW open day this weekend to have a look there, campus seems better and the course looks good too but don't know what the facilities are like for media.

Does anyone go here/know of anyone who goes to either of these unis in the media type area and what their experiences are like?
UTS is pretty much well known for communications and journalism.  From my friends experience.. they prepare you for the biggest challenges, link you up with industry connections etc.. You do "pretend" news coverage for UNI and also have many many opportunities to intern and pitch your work. 

Students have gone on to large news orgs such as CNN, ABC, sydney morning herald and the LA news.

I am not trying to boast, but UTS is really one of the best of the communication/journalism schools.

What don't you like about the campus?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 05:31:08 pm by EEEEEEP »

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 06:00:21 pm »
UTS is pretty much well known for communications and journalism.  From my friends experience.. they prepare you for the biggest challenges, link you up with industry connections etc.. You do "pretend" news coverage for UNI and also have many many opportunities to intern and pitch your work. 

Students have gone on to large news orgs such as CNN, ABC, sydney morning herald and the LA news.

I am not trying to boast, but UTS is really one of the best of the communication/journalism schools.

What don't you like about the campus?

I just don't like how much of a 'concrete jungle' it feels like. I've always liked the outdoors and it feels really claustrophobic to me
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 06:07:50 pm »
I just don't like how much of a 'concrete jungle' it feels like. I've always liked the outdoors and it feels really claustrophobic to me
I understand how you feel ^^. Ultimately, it's up to you whether you can put that aside as the opportunities given you there are immense.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 07:36:53 pm »
Admittedly, I've never seen anyone at UNSW study this

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 08:06:24 pm »
+1
Admittedly, I've never seen anyone at UNSW study this
In fairness to UNSW, most of the people you see at UNSW are probably in your degree :p

To the OP- one of our moderators is actually studying Journalism at UTS. I'm sure she'll see this pretty soon and be able to lend some of her own insights :)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 08:23:35 pm »
In fairness to UNSW, most of the people you see at UNSW are probably in your degree :p

To the OP- one of our moderators is actually studying Journalism at UTS. I'm sure she'll see this pretty soon and be able to lend some of her own insights :)
Truuuee but tbh don't recall any of my high school friends going for journalism either though

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 09:40:56 pm »
+10
Hello! I study Communications with a major in Journalism at UTS!

I actually really like the campus at UTS - in my first year I wasn't very spread out so I kind of only got to know some areas, but this year I'm more spread and I've grown to like the campus even more. There's the alumni green at UTS which is green :P

I think the facilities are great - I really love my course. Communications in general has turned out to be better than I hoped, and Journalism is very challenging but I can't fault the course in many ways at all. Sometimes I'm doing an assignment like "this is hell" and then I get to the other end and I'm like wow, this is really practical and I gained a lot. I have Journalism alumni friends (some even still studying) who have permanent positions at Sydney Morning Herald, Body + Soul, Vogue Magazine, Four Corners, ABC...and then there's all the friends who don't do the kind of journalism you might initially think of, but write and research content - like for Councils, publications, magazines, PR, businesses, etc. So, the only reason I'm listing these is because when I talk to these people, they put their experience at UTS down to it - I get emails all the time from uni about internship openings, about free seminars for extra-curricular journalism, etc. In my second year, I've grown to like the course even more.

Just going to jump in here and say nothing is ever pretend news coverage - everything you ever do at UTS is completely publishable either through the University news rooms or submitted to local papers, online publications, bigger newspapers, etc.

But do remember, that Journalism at UTS is just one third of your course structure. You have the option for a double major too - entering in your second year. Which is a great opportunity as well. But I point this out because it is just one third - so it won't be all you do. You do a core communications subject as well, and then an elective or stream choice (this alters slightly with a second major).

I know absolutely nothing about the UNSW course at all, I didn't even know they offered Journalism. So this review is heavily skewed towards UTS!

(Also I'm a huge fan of the practicality of the entire Uni - exchange options, internships, free assignment writing assistance and editing, etc.)

If the skyscraper situation is a deal breaker for you, I understand! It's not really bothered me ever, actually, but maybe this is because it is so easy to get to from Central - ridiculously easy. And I just have to catch one (long) train into UTS - no buses, no driving, etc.

Feel free to ask me any other specific questions you have :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 09:56:37 pm »
Hello! I study Communications with a major in Journalism at UTS!

I actually really like the campus at UTS - in my first year I wasn't very spread out so I kind of only got to know some areas, but this year I'm more spread and I've grown to like the campus even more. There's the alumni green at UTS which is green :P

I think the facilities are great - I really love my course. Communications in general has turned out to be better than I hoped, and Journalism is very challenging but I can't fault the course in many ways at all. Sometimes I'm doing an assignment like "this is hell" and then I get to the other end and I'm like wow, this is really practical and I gained a lot. I have Journalism alumni friends (some even still studying) who have permanent positions at Sydney Morning Herald, Body + Soul, Vogue Magazine, Four Corners, ABC...and then there's all the friends who don't do the kind of journalism you might initially think of, but write and research content - like for Councils, publications, magazines, PR, businesses, etc. So, the only reason I'm listing these is because when I talk to these people, they put their experience at UTS down to it - I get emails all the time from uni about internship openings, about free seminars for extra-curricular journalism, etc. In my second year, I've grown to like the course even more.

Just going to jump in here and say nothing is ever pretend news coverage - everything you ever do at UTS is completely publishable either through the University news rooms or submitted to local papers, online publications, bigger newspapers, etc.

But do remember, that Journalism at UTS is just one third of your course structure. You have the option for a double major too - entering in your second year. Which is a great opportunity as well. But I point this out because it is just one third - so it won't be all you do. You do a core communications subject as well, and then an elective or stream choice (this alters slightly with a second major).

I know absolutely nothing about the UNSW course at all, I didn't even know they offered Journalism. So this review is heavily skewed towards UTS!

(Also I'm a huge fan of the practicality of the entire Uni - exchange options, internships, free assignment writing assistance and editing, etc.)

If the skyscraper situation is a deal breaker for you, I understand! It's not really bothered me ever, actually, but maybe this is because it is so easy to get to from Central - ridiculously easy. And I just have to catch one (long) train into UTS - no buses, no driving, etc.

Feel free to ask me any other specific questions you have :)

Thanks so much for all that detail!

I went to the open day on the weekend and I was so excited to go because I have wanted to go to UTS since I was in year 10!! So I was a bit dissapointed inmyself when I didn't love the campus a whole lot. BUT I did LOVE the media facilities. The course at UNSW is a Bachelor of Media majoring in Journalism and Communication

In the future I want to focus on sports journalism, so I was wondering do you know if I could tailor any electives/subjects to my want for sport at UTS??
HSC subjects

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 09:31:17 am »
+3
Thanks so much for all that detail!

I went to the open day on the weekend and I was so excited to go because I have wanted to go to UTS since I was in year 10!! So I was a bit dissapointed inmyself when I didn't love the campus a whole lot. BUT I did LOVE the media facilities. The course at UNSW is a Bachelor of Media majoring in Journalism and Communication

In the future I want to focus on sports journalism, so I was wondering do you know if I could tailor any electives/subjects to my want for sport at UTS??

You have almost complete control over what avenue you pursue for your stories. So, in the first semester you do Stories from the Streets - or local news. For us, we had:
-Local news story (produce a story from your local area)
-News day (get posted somewhere for the day and report on it)
-Local news out of your own area (Swap local areas with another student and report on their area)
-Feature: we were given the theme of health for my cohort. I did it on FGM, but I have a friend who did it on painkillers in NRL.

This is probably the most structured semester in terms of what they want you to report, because it focuses on local areas specifically. Since then, I've chosen to make a publication on womankind and experiences - looking at STEM encouragement for women, safe schools programs, FGM, etc. Other people in my class did sports publications, looking at women in sport, olympics, (and probably a whole lot of other things that I just don't remember because it's not my cup of tea). This time around we're doing data journalism, and I'm writing on long-acting reversible contraception, the person sitting next to me in class is writing about online gaming in the 2024 olympics, someone else is following a story on vaccinations and sporting performance later in life, etc...

Hopefully I've more or less described to you that after the first term, you are at almost complete freedom to choose topics. They never say to us "do it on the theme of ...." because there's over 100 people in the cohort so we all have different interests.

My friend working at SMH freelances for some sporting publications. And I know one or two people who have done work experience at Big League magazine, and Women's Fitness mag.

What I've described to you is mainly print/online - but it's because it's my specialty. A whole bunch of people in my cohort are documentary, TV, and radio whizzes!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 09:50:23 am »
+6

Hey there!
My boyfriends brother studies Comms at UNSW, and though I'm only talking from second hand experience, he really enjoys it! His interest is also sports journalism, and he's been able to learn/write about it extensively throughout his degree. There are also minimal contact hours, which might be something of interest for you.
On another note, I would definitely take travel into consideration. If the two universities are providing similar degrees, then maybe think about what else you want to get out of uni. Travel time is a big thing for me - particularly as choosing UNSW would have meant an extra hour of travel each day. Conversely, from what I've heard, UNSW has a much better social atmosphere - in terms of there being lots of extra curricular activities to get involved in.
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 05:29:17 pm »
+1
You have almost complete control over what avenue you pursue for your stories. So, in the first semester you do Stories from the Streets - or local news. For us, we had:
-Local news story (produce a story from your local area)
-News day (get posted somewhere for the day and report on it)
-Local news out of your own area (Swap local areas with another student and report on their area)
-Feature: we were given the theme of health for my cohort. I did it on FGM, but I have a friend who did it on painkillers in NRL.

This is probably the most structured semester in terms of what they want you to report, because it focuses on local areas specifically. Since then, I've chosen to make a publication on womankind and experiences - looking at STEM encouragement for women, safe schools programs, FGM, etc. Other people in my class did sports publications, looking at women in sport, olympics, (and probably a whole lot of other things that I just don't remember because it's not my cup of tea). This time around we're doing data journalism, and I'm writing on long-acting reversible contraception, the person sitting next to me in class is writing about online gaming in the 2024 olympics, someone else is following a story on vaccinations and sporting performance later in life, etc...

Hopefully I've more or less described to you that after the first term, you are at almost complete freedom to choose topics. They never say to us "do it on the theme of ...." because there's over 100 people in the cohort so we all have different interests.

My friend working at SMH freelances for some sporting publications. And I know one or two people who have done work experience at Big League magazine, and Women's Fitness mag.

What I've described to you is mainly print/online - but it's because it's my specialty. A whole bunch of people in my cohort are documentary, TV, and radio whizzes!

Ohh I see!! Are trains ever usually delayed? I'm from the northern beaches so trains are foreign to me  ;D but it's correct there's no parking at UTS for students right?

Also what is the policy for attendance in lectures/tutorials etc? I know ICMS at manly have a certain attendance rate needed for lectures whereas at my boyfriend's uni they only need attendance for pracs
HSC subjects

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 05:33:22 pm »
Hey there!
My boyfriends brother studies Comms at UNSW, and though I'm only talking from second hand experience, he really enjoys it! His interest is also sports journalism, and he's been able to learn/write about it extensively throughout his degree. There are also minimal contact hours, which might be something of interest for you.
On another note, I would definitely take travel into consideration. If the two universities are providing similar degrees, then maybe think about what else you want to get out of uni. Travel time is a big thing for me - particularly as choosing UNSW would have meant an extra hour of travel each day. Conversely, from what I've heard, UNSW has a much better social atmosphere - in terms of there being lots of extra curricular activities to get involved in.

Do you know what the facilities are like for media e.g. If they have a media lab or anything? No worries if you don't!

For me, to UTS I'm getting the vibe that it's going to have to be public transport, which will take roughly 50 mins on one bus and one train, or if I could drive it probably would be only 20-30 min

UNSW would be approx 10-15 min extra on public transport (two buses) or if I would drive (because theres enough car parks there right?) it would be about 30 min

So both are sort of similar in a way, although the city always has a bit of traffic to get through!
HSC subjects

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 05:37:18 pm »
+1
UNSW would be approx 10-15 min extra on public transport (two buses) or if I would drive (because theres enough car parks there right?) it would be about 30 min

Allow more time for bus travel for 9am classes because the line is horrendous in the mornings!! And nope, definitely not enough car parks, I've found the sweet spot is about 8:30, which normally gets you a spot about 10-15 minute walk from your class. Any later and you start walking more and you get rushed :P

You can park in the parking venues but it's like $50 a day - Seriously disgusting :P

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 05:44:35 pm »
Allow more time for bus travel for 9am classes because the line is horrendous in the mornings!! And nope, definitely not enough car parks, I've found the sweet spot is about 8:30, which normally gets you a spot about 10-15 minute walk from your class. Any later and you start walking more and you get rushed :P

You can park in the parking venues but it's like $50 a day - Seriously disgusting :P

Nooo  ;D is there any train stations near unsw or just buses?
HSC subjects