Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 03:31:13 pm

Author Topic: Extra writing space use  (Read 1033 times)  Share 

kosmanagic

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Extra writing space use
« on: October 01, 2020, 08:12:38 pm »
I was going through the Legal Studies exam report from last year and I noticed one of the points of advice to students was:

"Students who need to use extra writing space at the end of the question and answer book
should mark their answer with ‘PTO’. "

Last year when completing my Economics 3/4 exam I personally used the extra writing space quite a lot, and just labelled my responses in it (as there wasn't any direction and I hadn't heard before to indicate to check it), e.g for question 1a, on the extra writing space I did: 1a. (response) and did not put PTO or answer continued or extra writing space, etc next to my original answer.

Would my extra writing space have been checked by assessors even if I didn't indicate that the answer was continued?

I did notice on the exam as I requested my markings, I did lose one or two marks on a decent amount of questions that I would of thought to have got full marks, where I probably used the extra writing space.

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
Re: Extra writing space use
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 01:05:59 am »
+3
My advice for you is that when you're in the exam and you are up to the last line and you realise you won't finish your response
clearly write *response continues in extra writing space*
And then in the extra writing space, write the question (e.g. 1b.) and continue your response
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 12:02:11 pm by tiredandstressed »
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 12:21:58 pm »
+4
Adding onto tiredandstressed's response, my psych teacher (longtime VCAA assessor) last year made it very clear to indicate that answers were continued in extra writing space, otherwise, the assessor will not read it. I ended up using 3 pages of extra writing space and for each question I used it for, I wrote 'Continued in extra writing space, p.g. X (whatever page number it was), underlined it and highlighted it. It was very tedious, especially because I repeated the same process in the extra writing space too (underlining, highlighting and writing out which question and which part - a,b,c etc) but it's better to be safe than sorry, especially because I relied on the extra writing space a lot for my marks.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

SmartWorker

• Forum Obsessive
  • Wake determined. Sleep Satisfied.
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 01:42:55 pm »
Is the extra space for writing applicable to every exam? Does it apply to Bio vce exam?

Thanks
Advice to smash Biology ¾:

2021 VCE - 99.35

Tutoring Bio, Chem, English, Methods 1/2 & 3/4 for 2022. DM if interested

Want some advice for VCE? 👇

https://youtu.be/zq0xsaE9GJ4

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 02:58:43 pm »
+3
Is the extra space for writing applicable to every exam? Does it apply to Bio vce exam?

Thanks
No, only some subjects have exams that provide extra writing space, and bio is not one of them. You'll just have to ensure your answers fit within the given space, although you can get away with writing below the lines if there is space (as long as it is clear which question that writing belongs to).
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash